Recent Posts

Philosophy, Religion & Society / Re: President Joe Biden
« Last post by Roundy on May 21, 2024, 12:30:59 AM »
No, it was stolen and sold to the right because they love invading privacy.
One wonders what type of life would be more concerned over any act of possible theft than that of actual acts of child abuse and pedophilia...

Well, she doesn't seem to see it that way.

Furthermore, in her letter to the judge, Ashley Biden wrote that others had "once-grossly" misinterpreted her "once-private" writings and thrown "false accusations that defame my character and those of the people I love."

Biden also said that her "innermost thoughts" recorded in the diary had been "constantly distorted and manipulated," and assumed that the point of the theft was to "peddle grotesque lies by distorting my stream-of-consciousness thoughts."

I think the opinion of the alleged victim holds more weight than that of some Conservative spinmasters whose whole careers practically center around defaming Joe Biden, or of some internet trolls who just don't seem to know better than to trust those dubious sources.
« Last post by Action80 on May 20, 2024, 08:14:06 PM »
Expert?  No.
But as the evidence could have been tampered with and wasn't turned over to police AND is stolen, its the Hunter Biden laptop all over again.  How many people have gone to jail for that one again?
Maybe you missed the part where Ashley confirmed the issues she had showering with Daddy Hairy Legs?
Flat Earth Community / Re: The Final Experiment
« Last post by AATW on May 20, 2024, 06:55:44 PM »
Yeah, I'm just suggesting that that's a critical flaw in the decision-making process, without claiming to be an authority myself. They'll run their experiment, they'll reach their conclusion (we both agree what it will be), and... what happens then?
Well, I guess what happens is either the YouTubers concede the point and stop being flat earthers - they're the ones who agreed this observation would be a problem for their version of FE. Or, more likely, they don't and are exposed as grifters. I think either outcome is potentially useful. And I don't think this experiment is a bad one. It's an expected result in RE, it's not in (some versions of) FE - to the point that I've seen FE people deny the 24 hour sun in Antarctica occurs.

And I guess the point is who should this bloke have approached? Who is the authority in FE? Is it fair to say there isn't one? Your whole philosophy seems to be "don't ask me, you make your own observations and figure it out for yourself". While I think people should be encouraged to check things for themselves - which they are, throughout science classes you do experiments and make observations - you seem to have a "every man for himself" philosophy which I would suggest is why there seems to be so little consensus in the FE community. Not that I even know what "FE community" really means. You are sneering at YouTube FE'ers, questioning their sincerity. Don't some of them call you "controlled opposition"? It all feels a bit Judean People's Front vs the People's Front of Judea, from the outside.

And where is it coming from?
This is a good question but as I said I couldn't see a "donate" button on the website. So why it could be an attempt at embezzlement, it's very unclear who they are embezzling from if so.

People get confused by the glass dome, I get that. As a visualisation, it has the same problem as trying to use a massively scaled-down ball to demonstrate gravity. The scaled-down FE model makes adjustments (replacing the atmolayer with a glass dome) to make it visually equivalent to the real efects of EA combined with internal reflection.
I guess the issue is it doesn't seem to be a particularly good model of the reality. There are a couple of videos on the Wiki. One he shines a torch through the glass dome and from certain angles it illuminates half the "earth". But is a torch a good representation of a sun which shines in all directions? Is solid glass a reasonable approximation for the atmolayer in terms of the way light through the medium. And isn't the FE sun inside where the dome is and above and circling the earth - he seems to have to shine the light more from the side to get the effect. I get it's just a model, I'm just not sure how valid it is.
In the second video it claims to show how stars could rotate in different directions, but no rotation is actually shown, just a static shot - which does admittedly look like how star trails may look near the equator but they're not shown rotating.

In terms of the 24 hour sun at Antarctica, I'm struggling to visualise how that would work. In the monopole model:

So A is the north pole, the sun circles it. When it's going round the red circle then it can't be seen because of EA. Fine.
When it's going round the yellow circle it can be seen at all times and goes in a circle. Also fine.
But if you're at B or C then the red circle is your summer. I can't see how that circular route would be seen from those points going in the opposite direction to the circle it's actually tracing. A common FE approach to that has been to simply deny it occurs at all. You seem to be saying it could but I can't see how that would actually work.

The bi-polar model may solve that but it seems to me it would introduce a load of other problems in terms of matching observations.
« Last post by Lord Dave on May 20, 2024, 06:42:59 PM »
One wonders what type of life would be more concerned over any act of possible theft than that of actual acts of child abuse and pedophilia...

Well, ask the people who turned it over to a political action group instead of the police.  Because the evidence is now inadmisable in court.
Is that your expert legal opinion?
Expert?  No.
But as the evidence could have been tampered with and wasn't turned over to police AND is stolen, its the Hunter Biden laptop all over again.  How many people have gone to jail for that one again?
« Last post by Action80 on May 20, 2024, 01:41:29 PM »

Well, ask the people who turned it over to a political action group instead of the police.  Because the evidence is now inadmisable in court.
Is that your expert legal opinion?
Flat Earth Theory / Re: falsification, epistemology, FE and RE
« Last post by Pete Svarrior on May 20, 2024, 10:07:43 AM »
My question is why can't RE belief be saved by "well, it might be ..."
It can, and it regularly is. I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish here.

Is it the case that RE has to be complete, consistent, and flawless, while FE can have inconsistencies and not correlate to observations
It is not. Now, you just need to convince your compatriots that this goes both ways.
« Last post by Lord Dave on May 20, 2024, 08:03:39 AM »

« Last post by Action80 on May 20, 2024, 07:27:30 AM »
Flat Earth Investigations / Re: What is the true map of the earth?
« Last post by AnneFrothingslosh on May 20, 2024, 01:57:52 AM »
The sun can't set on a FE where the sun is above the plane of the earth at all times.
Do you have evidence to back up this outright lie?
Yes. The evidence is that if the sun is a few thousand miles above a flat earth then you would have a clear line of sight to it at all time. What would stop you seeing it? It would also change significantly in angular size, angular speed and luminosity throughout the day as your distance to it varies. None of that happens.
All that is in the context of the mainstream physics. You may have other mechanisms to explain this - EA, some magnification effect and I'm not sure about the luminosity one - the sun does admittedly change at sunset, but not during most of the day as it surely would if the sun was at a significantly different distance.

As I said, EA is a reasonable explanation. It's better than "perspective" which makes no sense at all. But it is at best a hypothesis, not a well formed theory.

A good explanation for this:
https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=92516.msg2422822#msg2422822

Evidence of electromagnetic acceleration:

The Moon and a sphere have the same orientation as the terminator, they had to state that the Sun is super far away and is too big to explain this on the globe, because this observation is not predicted on a spherical earth.
However, it is predicted by the theory of light bending:
https://qr.ae/psiDgn

Celestial sphere and Moon tilt illusion are also predicted much better by the bending of light:
https://wiki.tfes.org/Electromagnetic_Acceleration

Scientific articles on the bending of light:
https://www.wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/mobile/2014/02/07/can-light-bend-around-corners/
https://physicsworld.com/a/light-bends-itself-round-corners/
https://engineering.stanford.edu/magazine/article/taming-mavericks-stanford-researchers-use-synthetic-magnetism-control-light
Flat Earth Theory / Re: falsification, epistemology, FE and RE
« Last post by Roundy on May 19, 2024, 11:22:03 PM »
So the solipsist can not believe RE or FE.

As I understand it, according to the definition of solipsism, of course? Seems odd to make your conclusion to such a long post something that is a given.