Offline junker

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version)
« Reply #940 on: March 22, 2020, 03:42:36 PM »
DOOM Eternal 10/10 GOTY 2020

tbh it probably isn't even the best game released on 20 March, 2020...

I haven't completed it yet but so far there isn't anything that is an improvement on the previous game.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #941 on: March 24, 2020, 04:54:39 AM »

I haven't completed it yet but so far there isn't anything that is an improvement on the previous game.
nice onion
The Mastery.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #942 on: March 24, 2020, 07:39:48 AM »
Playing Animal Crossing. It's relaxing af.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." -Henry David Thoreau

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • I summon my love back to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: March 25, 2020, 10:59:49 PM »
Also playing Animal Crossing. Got stung by wasps six days in a row, a bear called my house swole, I'm a shitton of money in debt, and my official title is "Freshly-Delivered Lawn Clippings". 10/10 GOTY 2020/2021/2022/2023/2024
Quote from: garygreen date=1480782226
i also took an online quiz that said i was a giraffe.  and i guess you're dumb enough to believe that i must be because the internet said so.

« Reply #944 on: March 27, 2020, 02:57:10 AM »
I play Dota and World of Warcraft Classic because no one has made a good game in 15 years.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

Offline junker

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: March 27, 2020, 04:01:36 AM »

I beat D O O M last night. Opinion the same as above.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 27, 2020, 10:25:58 PM »
Literally my least favorite thing about DOOM Eternal is the reveal that the Doom Slayer is actually Doomguy from the previous games in the series. It makes the universe feel so much smaller. And what makes it worse is that Doomguy is portrayed as a nut ranting at strangers about how he needs to kill all the demons. I actually really liked the character of the Doom Slayer in the previous game. It's easy enough to make the joke that he represents the typical FPS gamer who ignores the story and just wants to kill enemies - and it is a pretty funny joke - but there's a simple in-universe explanation for why he behaves the way he does. He's a holy warrior of an ancient race that have long stood in opposition to Hell, and he knows that nothing justifies bargaining with demons or tampering with Hell. It's his duty to destroy the demons and sever their connection to other worlds, and he's not interested in excuses for their presence. Making him Doomguy, and as raving and unhinged as ever, undermines all of that. He's not really a solemn holy warrior, he's just dressing up as one while deep down being a babbling lunatic motivated by his own bloodlust.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 29, 2020, 06:05:55 PM »
Literally my least favorite thing about DOOM Eternal is the reveal that the Doom Slayer is actually Doomguy from the previous games in the series. It makes the universe feel so much smaller. And what makes it worse is that Doomguy is portrayed as a nut ranting at strangers about how he needs to kill all the demons.
Maybe you just hate fun.
The Mastery.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #948 on: March 30, 2020, 05:37:26 PM »
The first new Doom was boring, so I won’t be playing Eternal. Whoa, kill monsters with metal music playing. So cool.

I’ve been addicted to Risk of Rain 2 the past couple of days. I got to level 13 with the engineer before being curb stomped by one of those giant loot monsters.

Also still playing Animal Town and just started Earth Defense Force 5, which is the most ridiculous game ever.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 05:41:02 PM by Fortuna »
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." -Henry David Thoreau

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 30, 2020, 08:27:37 PM »
The first new Doom was boring, so I won’t be playing Eternal. Whoa, kill monsters with metal music playing. So cool.
Maybe you just hate fun.
The Mastery.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: Today at 02:46:31 AM »
I'm actually going to retract what I just said about that being my least favorite part of the game. My real issue is the gameplay. I don't like what they've done here to differentiate it from the last game. This feels a lot like what Shadow of War felt like in comparison to Shadow of Mordor - the combat is in every way harder, wilder, and more chaotic, with more enemies, more waves of enemies, more enemies with particular weaknesses you need to remember to exploit, and so on. The ammunition you can carry is extremely limited, too, and it feels like a cheap handicap to pump up the game's difficulty. There's more to expanding on gameplay in a sequel than providing essentially the same old stuff, but making everything much harder. I can think of a few ideas. Like, maybe you could launch surprise attacks on demon nests? You decide where on the platform you want to land, and also which demon to target and automatically destroy during your descent. Or they could incorporate the new platforming system, which I actually really liked for how satisfying and quick it was, with the combat a bit more, like having demons appear on the walls you're climbing on, or have you be able to keep shooting while clinging to a wall.

Maybe you just hate fun.

My love of fun is the exact reason I object to this sort of lazy, reductive universe-shrinking. This is the same kind of thinking that gives us Lex Luthor apparently designing the logos of various capeshitters in BvS, Blofeld apparently being responsible for the villains of previous Bond movies in Spectre, Palpatine somehow being behind Snoke and the First Order in TRoS, the Netflix corner of the MCU awkwardly connecting every character or faction to the Hand or K'un Lun, along with the MCU at large doing everything it can to downplay or deny the existence of magic. It's dumb. Not everything needs to be connected to everything else, not everything that appears on screen needs to be "accounted for" immediately, and there are more important things than continuity for its own sake. Creatives in big franchises need to learn to let their universes be big places where lots of different things happen and lots of different people are going about their own business. and if you don't already know when and where these characters will appear again, that's fine. This game is admittedly a minor example of that mindset, but this was a good opportunity for a tangent.

Offline junker

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: Today at 03:46:01 AM »
My real issue is the gameplay. I don't like what they've done here to differentiate it from the last game. ...the combat is in every way harder, wilder, and more chaotic, with more enemies, more waves of enemies, more enemies with particular weaknesses you need to remember to exploit, and so on. The ammunition you can carry is extremely limited, too, and it feels like a cheap handicap to pump up the game's difficulty.

It is nearly the same game as before... You have levels with bad guys who spawn in the same place. Memorize the pattern and advance. Bad guys get progressively harder. The only wrench in that is the inferno baddie that keeps spawning other enemies until you off him. Ammo is easily upgraded (definitely not """extremely""" limited) and stocked through literally one different game mechanic. Your ideas on how the game could have been better would have made the whole thing a dumpster fire. Even if the game had some of those absolutely terrible and rudimentary mechanics you would complain that it deviates too far from its predecessor.

You also keep trying to tie this into to your other rants about different capeshit issues, and it makes absolutely no sense no matter how many times you repeat it. We get it, you want creative control over Batman. It just isn't going to happen. The rest of your rant is internet critic amateur hour, but it is the same type of thing found in the majority of your reviews so nothing new there.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: Today at 04:59:48 AM »
I don't agree. I wish I could make a better argument for my position than it being my own experience with the game. The limited ammo feels like a deliberate handicap from last time, and it also feels like a huge step up in difficulty and general chaos. This game fatigues me in a way that its predecessor never did. I might just suck and need to git gud. And one day I will have creative control over Batman, and the world will be a better place for it.