Online honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version)
« Reply #920 on: October 10, 2019, 04:03:56 AM »
Batman: Arkham Knight

After numerous false starts due to an inferior PC build and a faulty PS4, I have finally managed to play through this game. It's good overall, with the same solid combat, stealth, and exploration that the series is known for. As I discussed back in the capeshit thread, Gotham in its entirety is a fantastic setting, and definitely the best depiction of it I've ever seen. It's basically the perfect balance between Tim Burton's industrial dystopia and Joel Schumacher's neon-lit amusement park. Navigating the city by zipping and gliding across the rooftops or racing around on ground level with the Batmobile are both fun, viable options, something that couldn't have been easy to design.

But then then they had to go and make it a tank, so you can have tank battles. Lots and lots of tank battles. Who the fuck thought that a Batman game needed tank battles? They're so boring, and they keep going on. The game will not stop sending tanks at you. It's all part of the plot wherein the titular Arkham Knight occupies Gotham with a huge paramilitary force and it's up to you to take out his army. That might sound cool, but it's really not. The Knight is a dull villain, and the game prematurely makes his true identity incredibly obvious, even if you know nothing about Batman lore. Fighting the army isn't much better. Defuse a landmine here. Fight a squad of tanks there. Take over a militia outpost here. It's tedious busy work, and gives the game a very unfortunate Ubisoft-like feel. Why would they do this? It's not like they ran out of classic villains for Batman to fight or anything, far from it. They did include some pretty obscure figures here, which I like, but there was plenty of room for more, and that would have been entirely preferable to a greater quantity of cheap filler missions against an anonymous army.

The lack of proper boss fights was also really disappointing. Yes, Asylum's bosses were kind of lame, but City and Origins had terrific boss fights. Why get rid of them now?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 03:44:07 PM by honk »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #921 on: October 11, 2019, 08:57:16 AM »
Why get rid of them now?
Maybe they blew the budget on tank battles.
The Mastery.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Respectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: October 25, 2019, 02:17:21 PM »
The RANDOM LOUD NOISES ARE SCARY approach to horror was already wearing kind of thin for me by the time Observer decided to reveal its spoopy monster. I'm not sure I'm going to finish this one.

Online honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 09, 2019, 02:54:09 AM »
The Outer Worlds

This had been one of my most anticipated upcoming games for months, and for the first week after its release I excitedly played through it, taking only brief breaks to shill for it on IRC. And now that I've beaten it...I have to say that it's really not a great game, and its shortcomings become all the more clear as I continue to think about it. There just isn't that much to it. The main story is very short. There aren't a lot of sidequests, and most of them are fetch quests or dungeon crawls. The planets are all visually distinctive and look great, but there are only a few of them, and what you can explore on each is limited to a very small area. There's one or two small towns on a planet, and the rest of it is wild terrain with enemy creatures (of which there are only a few different types), abandoned buildings to explore (almost all of which are just boring generic offices) and enormous numbers of raiders that dwarf the number of law-abiding citizens in any given area with no plausible context for their presence and no visible means of even surviving. Sounds familiar. The FPS combat that takes up the bulk of the game is dull and uninspired, with the exception of an ability to slow time that feels like a much better version of VATS from Fallout, and it feels like monotonous busy work to spend so much time traipsing around shooting the same enemies and looting the same buildings.

Of course, what most people were expecting Obsidian to really deliver on was the story and writing, not necessarily the gameplay. They're all right. The dialogue is light and quippy, packed full of bathos and corporate satire. The best comparison I can think of would be to the work of Joss Whedon (multiple characters seem to be largely based on characters from Firefly), so your mileage may vary. I got a few chuckles out of it and don't recall cringing at anything, for what it's worth. But again, there just isn't very much of it. Obsidian very heavily leaned on the idea that this was a spiritual successor to New Vegas, but what's the point of doing that with a game that's so much smaller in every way? NV has more characters, more dialogue, more factions, more quests, better-designed quests, longer companion quests, a longer main story, a bigger and more responsive world, and four separate questlines leading to four different endings. Incidentally, that last point was also shared by Obsidian's two most recent games before this one, Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity 2 (PoE2 actually had five). So how does The Outer Worlds top those games? By waiting until almost the very end of the story and letting you choose one of two options: The unambiguously good side or the unambiguously evil side. Yeah, I didn't put that in spoiler text. It doesn't deserve to be in spoiler text. What a joke.

The game is probably better than I'm giving it credit for. I'm just very disappointed. That's what I said with the last Epic exclusive I tried, isn't it? Hmm. Anyway, you might as well just play NV again instead of this.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 03:20:49 AM by honk »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #924 on: November 09, 2019, 03:06:53 AM »
Okay but you failed to mention the biggest problem with the game.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 03:09:17 AM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Offline rooster

• cock-a-doodle-doo, darlin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: December 08, 2019, 02:33:44 AM »
I don't really enjoy that you have to say exactly the right thing in exactly the right order to achieve the right outcome. I've had to re-load my game a couple of times to get it right.

But it does have a lot of feeling to it. For example, I missed out on a side quest to gain someone's trust so I wasn't able to get two factions to compromise because of it. So I ended up having to kill off the other faction which.. really fucking sucked. I don't often feel like I made a really shitty choice in a game so it does have weight to it. So I hated that I messed it up by missing something, but appreciated that it made me at least feel a way.