Recent Posts

Arts & Entertainment / Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version)
« Last post by honk on Today at 01:44:26 AM »
Speaking of stealth, the MJ/Miles sections suck ass. Yeah I really want to have the character who can run up walls and cover all of Manhattan in a matter of minutes by swinging from skyscrapers taken away from me so that I can slowly fumble around as an ordinary person while armed guards with extremely selective cones of vision and radii of hearing fart about in silly obstacle courses like a bunch of potatoes with legs.

You just don't understand the vision.

One final complaint is that for an open world game it feels super on-rails a lot of the time. Sometimes you finish an objective and then have nothing to do, but then literally one minute or less later someone will call you and tell you where to go next. I'm not sure what a good solution to this is, since there's nothing worse than having to complete minigames and sidequests to get the next piece of the main story, but it feels as though Insomniac didn't quite know which direction they wanted to go in with some of this stuff.

I have a solution - put a marker on the map with each new story mission, and whenever the player arrives at that marker, then they get a phone call from whatever character wants them to do something next.
Philosophy, Religion & Society / Re: Trump
« Last post by Tom Bishop on Today at 01:35:20 AM »
This must be a pretty big cult if Trump is even or leading in the polls.

Once New York seizes his assets we're going to have a flood of interviews with real estate developers which go exactly like this:

« Last post by Roundy on Today at 12:18:30 AM »
I suspect Trump could get this money if he really wanted to, through multiple lenders, creative financing, etc. Even in the complaints from his lawyers they inadvertently describe some ways he could do it. But that is the wrong play here. If New York actually seizes his assets it will be shocking international news which would have the effect of turning Trump into a martyr.

Only to the sycophantic cult members though, and he's already been a martyr to them for years, so no big deal.
« Last post by Tom Bishop on March 18, 2024, 11:35:54 PM »
I suspect Trump could get this money if he really wanted to, through multiple lenders, creative financing, etc. Even in the complaints from his lawyers they inadvertently describe some ways he could do it. But that is the wrong play here. If New York actually seizes his assets it will be shocking international news which would have the effect of turning Trump into a martyr.
« Last post by Lord Dave on March 18, 2024, 11:25:56 PM »
It's almost like they went with an insane fine that they knew not even a billionaire could afford because it's a political hit job.
You'd think someone worth....*searches*

https://www.google.no/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/09/08/trump-overstated-net-worth-by-up-to-3point6-billion-per-year-ny-ag-alleges-in-new-filing.html?espv=1

$4.5 billion, per his claim, could cough up the money. 
« Last post by Rushy on March 18, 2024, 08:54:31 PM »
It's almost like they went with an insane fine that they knew not even a billionaire could afford because it's a political hit job.
« Last post by AATW on March 18, 2024, 08:20:37 PM »
« Last post by Lord Dave on March 18, 2024, 07:31:37 PM »
Maybe this is just a symptom of certain posters being gone or banned, but I'm surprised no one here is shrieking about the "bloodbath" comment that the media has been crying about. The situation seems to be a case of a single word taken out of context to declare that Trump was calling for a violent "bloodbath" if he loses.

https://thefederalist.com/2024/03/18/cnn-analyst-spreads-disinformation-to-get-feds-to-meddle-in-elections-against-trump/

On Saturday, Trump warned Americans of an economic “bloodbath” in the auto industry if Biden wins a second term.

“China now is building a couple of massive plants where they’re going to build the cars in Mexico,” Trump said during an Ohio rally. “[China thinks] that they’re going to sell those cars into the United States with no tax at the border.”

“We’re going to put a 100% tariff on every single car that comes across the line, and you’re not going to be able to sell those cars — if I get elected,” the former president continued. “Now, if I don’t get elected, it’s going to be a bloodbath.”

Democrats and the media, however, cut the clip to suggest the former president was simply saying there would “be a bloodbath” if he lost. All over TV screens and social media last weekend, they spread the deliberately false disinformation narrative that Trump had called for a violent “bloodbath” if he loses.

Because we can read.

Tho not sure how he's gonna do that.  I mean, he signed the agreement China will use to get cars over the border.  What, was it a bad deal?
« Last post by Action80 on March 18, 2024, 04:32:13 PM »
Most everyone here has no problem with the performance of the economy under Trump and most everyone here has little to no clue of what a trade tariff actually is.

Everyone here is getting tired of being totally wrong about the "thing Trump said."

"They," have been exposed as the secret "OMG" team they've been, all along.
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version)
« Last post by Crudblud on March 18, 2024, 03:38:35 PM »
I've been playing Insomniac's Spider-Man game and it's mostly quite good, please enjoy some fragmented and poorly organised complaints. My excuse is I have a really bad cold and my head feels like it's stuck in a vice.

They really nailed the fluidity of the movement, though sometimes combat feels a bit unwieldy compared especially to the two major Arkham sequels, which have a more intuitive combat flow, especially with the quick gadgets button combos. Spidey will often target random other enemies during a combo without any directional input for no apparent reason, so instead of taking out the enemy I just knocked to the floor, he will suddenly turn around and target someone completely different with the rapid web shots. Being able to take some enemies out immediately by webbing them to a wall or floor is cool though, and not having a head-on fight with gun-wielding enemies be an automatic death sentence does give it something that the Arkham games always lacked.

Speaking of stealth, the MJ/Miles sections suck ass. Yeah I really want to have the character who can run up walls and cover all of Manhattan in a matter of minutes by swinging from skyscrapers taken away from me so that I can slowly fumble around as an ordinary person while armed guards with extremely selective cones of vision and radii of hearing fart about in silly obstacle courses like a bunch of potatoes with legs.

The movement is the best part of the game, and the size of the map complements it really well, although some of the collectathon stuff gets incredibly silly very quickly. You'll be on your way to a main objective and Spidey will just blurt out "hey look a pigeon lol" as if he doesn't have something more urgent to take care of. Some stuff can again be a little awkward, particularly interacting with walls in any way other than freerunning. Not jumping against a wall and immediately sticking to it is just weird, as is having to manually aim to shoot up to the ceiling. Ceiling and wall geometries can also be extremely fucky to negotiate; I don't care if it's more realistic, the environment should be built around accommodating Spider-Man as much as possible. The Tony Hawk games have always had ridiculous nonsense geometry because it's fun to have fun things even if they aren't faithful to the real world locations the levels are modelled on.

One final complaint is that for an open world game it feels super on-rails a lot of the time. Sometimes you finish an objective and then have nothing to do, but then literally one minute or less later someone will call you and tell you where to go next. I'm not sure what a good solution to this is, since there's nothing worse than having to complete minigames and sidequests to get the next piece of the main story, but it feels as though Insomniac didn't quite know which direction they wanted to go in with some of this stuff.

Again, overall I think the game is pretty good so far and it does a good job of living up to the fantasy of being your friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man, but a solid chunk of it is comprised of really fucking annoying shit put in seemingly at random.