Recent Posts

Flat Earth Theory / Re: Viewing Carlsbad from La Jolla
« Last post by Bobby Shafto on October 18, 2018, 10:59:55 PM »
The tide was just past its low, at 0.0, which is -2.8' Mean Sea Level (MSL) for La Jolla.
A light on-shore wind chop was was on the water, with a primary South-Southwest swell of 4-5' at 12 second intervals.
Hi Bobby!
Did you include the tide in your calculation?
I think, it's quite easy: The point, where the viewing line "touches" the sea surface, gets lowered or heightened by the tide. According this you have to add (or subtract)  the difference to mean sea level (the reference for observer/target) to both observer's and target's height. In this case sea surface is lower, so observers and target heights have to be increased: +2.8'

Btw. A similar approach could be used for waves. Regarding what may be obscured, in worst case waves "heighten" the sea surface by half the wave height (wave height is measured from top to bottom). In this case half the wave height has to be subtracted from observer's and target's height: -2' to -2.5' 
So in total <1' ;D
I did, but I don't claim to being so precise as to get elevations down to +/- 1 foot. I can't swear that my camera height on the reef was really 0' at the then-current level of the ocean. I was using a tripod at its lowest, but the fact that I wasn't getting wet probably means I was a good 1-2' above sea level. There weren't any breakers near me, but the surge of the water from the swells was reaching my location.

I don't know. I think the margin of error, especially in estimating heights of the target in the image is greater than whatever difference estimation of viewing height above the water would make.

I've actually done this from spots just above the Point Loma tidepools looking at the Coronado Islands to the south (talked about in different topics) where I see how much changes in the view of the islands when just raising the camera up a foot on the tripod. I should publish those photos to show the effect. The images don't show enough to be able to realistically determine a change in how much is visible, but you can visually detect a difference.
« Last post by Bobby Shafto on October 18, 2018, 10:48:18 PM »
Carlsbad's Encina Power Plant smokestack seen from 30.3 miles away.

I wasn't looking for or expecting to capture this. I was just scanning the horizon to the west trying to see if I could find San Clemente Island. Failing that, I trained the camera north and tried peeking through the trees toward Pacific Beach and La Jolla. But from this vantage point of ~400-410', the air was clear enough to see the smokestack, which also rises to 400'.

Mapping this out, the line of sight passes right over where I was photographing from La Jolla.

If visibility is this good tomorrow, I'll bring my water level toy and see if the top of the smokestack is level (as it should be on a flat earth-without EA) or "dips" below level (as it should if the earth is convex, even with a little standard atmospheric refraction.) 
Flat Earth Theory / Re: Flat Out Hero and MCToon examine the AE Map
« Last post by stack on October 18, 2018, 10:06:53 PM »
Doesn't necessarily address longitudinal lines, but this popped up today and thought it relevant to map making. Definitely gives a sense of what a rubik's cube a map really is; you shift to accommodate one aspect and it whacks out another.

Science & Alternative Science / Re: The beliefs on this board...
« Last post by Rama Set on October 18, 2018, 09:47:41 PM »
The claims that YEC make are, to be fair, not complicated. They are demonstrably false. In that respect Hamm’s position and Nye’s position should not be equated.
Philosophy, Religion & Society / Re: £20,000 a fart
« Last post by Baby Thork on October 18, 2018, 09:41:30 PM »
You can say you want any amount of money for anything anyone does to you. I can claim Thork owes me $10 million for existing in my universe, but I would have a hard time proving that in court (which is a shame). I imagine this man will have similar difficult acquiring £20,000 for being farted upon.
Interestingly, he's not suing his colleague. Its almost as if suing someone else on minimum wage wouldn't be very fruitful. No. He's suing £Multi-million high street supermarket chain Tesco, because on that day, they were unable to prevent him from chomping on an air biscuit. This would suggest that once the fart left the co-worker, Tesco assumed full ownership because it was on their property.

However, I really hope the defence lawyer rebutts the accusation with "he who smelt it, dealt it".
« Last post by HorstFue on October 18, 2018, 09:41:24 PM »
The tide was just past its low, at 0.0, which is -2.8' Mean Sea Level (MSL) for La Jolla.
A light on-shore wind chop was was on the water, with a primary South-Southwest swell of 4-5' at 12 second intervals.
Hi Bobby!
Did you include the tide in your calculation?
I think, it's quite easy: The point, where the viewing line "touches" the sea surface, gets lowered or heightened by the tide. According this you have to add (or subtract)  the difference to mean sea level (the reference for observer/target) to both observer's and target's height. In this case sea surface is lower, so observers and target heights have to be increased: +2.8'

Btw. A similar approach could be used for waves. Regarding what may be obscured, in worst case waves "heighten" the sea surface by half the wave height (wave height is measured from top to bottom). In this case half the wave height has to be subtracted from observer's and target's height: -2' to -2.5' 
So in total <1' ;D
« Last post by Rushy on October 18, 2018, 09:32:41 PM »
You can say you want any amount of money for anything anyone does to you. I can claim Thork owes me $10 million for existing in my universe, but I would have a hard time proving that in court (which is a shame). I imagine this man will have similar difficult acquiring £20,000 for being farted upon.
« Last post by Baby Thork on October 18, 2018, 09:28:25 PM »
I love the way he takes a fart to the face and his first reaction is "that happened because I'm a Muslim  >o<".
« Last post by babyhighspeed on October 18, 2018, 09:26:10 PM »
Would you let someone fart in your face for £20,000?

Is £20,000 the required amount of compensation for such an incident? By my reckoning, I owe my sister about £6million.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/18/man-sues-tesco-for-race-discrimination-after-colleague-farted-in-his-face-8052373/?ito=social&fbclid=IwAR2BUNNprP4OXp_wbgjiE8nu5uovWEgBY9HyohBeS24WgJdNG3ku56vKirQ

What a pile of horseshit....

Plus, a fart is blind to color, gender and religion... completely and totally equal opportunity. Too bad it wasn't an open air shart, that is what the wuss really deserves.

I wonder if a lawyer actually set down and decided the damages equalled that amount. I say give him a pack of cigarettes and say you are lucky you are still employed.
Philosophy, Religion & Society / £20,000 a fart
« Last post by Baby Thork on October 18, 2018, 09:18:52 PM »
Would you let someone fart in your face for £20,000?

Is £20,000 the required amount of compensation for such an incident? By my reckoning, I owe my sister about £6million.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/18/man-sues-tesco-for-race-discrimination-after-colleague-farted-in-his-face-8052373/?ito=social&fbclid=IwAR2BUNNprP4OXp_wbgjiE8nu5uovWEgBY9HyohBeS24WgJdNG3ku56vKirQ