Recent Posts

Arts & Entertainment / Re: Flat Earth AI Poems by ChatGPT
« Last post by Rama Set on January 26, 2023, 02:35:52 PM »
ChatGPT gets it.
« Last post by Tom Bishop on January 26, 2023, 06:01:20 AM »
> write a poem about the Flat Earth Society that ends in tragedy and a twist of fate and a message on the dangers of misinformation

The Flat Earth Society, a group so bold,
Believed the Earth was flat, and not a globe,
Their theories mocked, and cast aside,
But their legacy lived on, in those who tried to abide.

They gathered, to share their views,
But their meetings, often ended in bruise,
For those who opposed, were filled with hate,
And violence, was their chosen fate.

The twist, a surprise, so dark and grim,
A tragedy, that left the society dim,
A fire broke out, in their last meeting place,
Leaving no survivors, not a trace.

And as the society perished, in the flames,
The world, in shock, and sorrow, it claims,
For in their fate, a harsh lesson lies,
That ignorance and hate, never truly dies.

The twist of fate is that the society's belief in a flat Earth led them to their tragic end. It's a reminder that embracing false beliefs can have severe consequences and that it is important to question and critically evaluate our beliefs and information.
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Now Playing
« Last post by markjo on January 26, 2023, 02:24:53 AM »
« Last post by Tom Bishop on January 25, 2023, 09:26:57 PM »
> write a lighthearted poem about how Samuel Rowbotham traveled through history trying to convince people of his theory in a mean way

There once was a man named Sam,
Who believed the earth was flat,
He traveled through history,
With a mean and stubborn hat.

He went to ancient Greece,
And told Pythagoras "you're wrong!"
He shouted at Galileo,
"Your telescope is just a dong!"

He visited Columbus,
And said "Your ships will fall!"
He told Copernicus,
"Your theory is just a ball."

He went to Newton and Einstein,
And said "Your math is flawed!"
He even went to space,
And said "Neil Armstrong, you're just a fraud!"

But no matter how mean he was,
No one believed his spiel,
For the evidence was clear,
The earth is round, not a big ferris wheel.

In the end, poor Sam was alone,
With his flat earth theory,
He realized that being mean,
Was not the way to be.

The end.
Science & Alternative Science / Re: Who makes these images?
« Last post by Rushy on January 25, 2023, 03:20:54 PM »
Yep. Sure is a good thing!

Fascinating that large fonts and single words qualify as "large amounts of text" in the mind of an RE'er.

Not to mention - Rushy, if they had incredibly perfect AI that had been developed in secret for years, I assure you they wouldn’t use it for something as harmless as some rover pictures.

Yes, I'm sure the only use for an advanced image generation machine is space pictures. There's nothing else they're using it for. Just space pictures specifically for you to ogle.
« Last post by Pete Svarrior on January 25, 2023, 08:50:12 AM »
Thank you for posting more *checks notes* blurry pictures with virtually no text on them. Sigh.

Reminder that these are constantly posted minutes apart 24/7.
Yep - a perfect pace for stable diffusion.

If we’re suggesting it’s secret gubment AI
We're not. If you're incapable of discussing the subject like an adult, do not post in the upper fora. Final warning, for realises this time.

well we run into both the problem of the data set that would need to exist for this
Yes, that major problem, which is so difficult to solve that even you could start generating these at low cost in a matter of hours.

Not to mention - Rushy, if they had incredibly perfect AI that had been developed in secret for years, I assure you they wouldn’t use it for something as harmless as some rover pictures.
You're really not familiar with the modern uses of these, and you really want the world to know that you didn't bother to find out. Poor effort.
« Last post by secretagent10 on January 25, 2023, 06:22:08 AM »
Why are you so sad that NASA is protecting people from a Sith invasion?

They’re choosing to believe that the sample return tube is this sudden unexpected thing that had to be quickly explained. The rover was known to be designed to do this for years.

Early publications regarding Perseverance explain in high detail the sample tubes.

Published on December 22, 2020:

“Made chiefly of titanium, each sample tube weighs less than 2 ounces (57 grams). A white exterior coating guards against heating by the Sun potentially changing the chemical composition of the samples after Perseverance deposits the tubes on the surface of Mars. Laser-etched serial numbers on the exterior will help the team identify the tubes and their content.”

Ah, yes, now that there's a webpage on the Internet saying the same thing you've claimed, all doubt is out the window.

The contention in this particular instance is not on the tubes themselves but the claim that they are “ad-hoc”.

But of course. As is typical of RE'ers, an ad-hoc explanation must be presented.

Suggesting that it’s just a sudden ad-hoc explanation suggests that the tubes are an expected artifact of the images to be explained, when this isn’t the case. It was already known what they look like since 2020.
« Last post by secretagent10 on January 25, 2023, 06:13:11 AM »
It's a good thing we're talking about sharp, well-defined pictures with huge amounts of text text in them. Otherwise, secretagent69's comment might come across as irrelevant and desperate.

Reminder that these are constantly posted minutes apart 24/7.
If we’re suggesting it’s secret gubment AI, well we run into both the problem of the data set that would need to exist for this, as well as the logistics of such a thing being kept secret.

Arts & Entertainment / Re: Now Playing
« Last post by markjo on January 25, 2023, 03:38:21 AM »
Flat Earth Theory / Re: What do you think about this map?
« Last post by Jacques007 on January 24, 2023, 07:51:10 AM »
I think the map is definitely interesting. As to whether it has validity, I would first have to be convinced of FE Theory, and then of a particular map. I could be convinced if I saw scientific evidence favouring FE Theory. My mind is definitely open to the idea that FE might be true, but I have to see evidence first.