Recent Posts

7 months later...

Seems like the Russians kinda suck at this invasion business.
Arts & Entertainment / Re: Now Playing
« Last post by markjo on Today at 02:34:22 AM »
Philosophy, Religion & Society / Re: Ron DeSantis is a shitbag
« Last post by markjo on Today at 01:01:28 AM »
If they want money for future disaster-mitigation projects then they should have acted honestly and created a request for that with the normal way they get funding, not try to sneak it into the hurricane sandy emergency relief.
The thing is, it isn't an emergency relief bill, it's a disaster recovery bill.  The hint is in the name.
Doesn't fall off bike...
Of course. It's been a long time since Putin could even get on a bike, let alone fall off one. I'm sure you've noticed his ticks and inability to stand up for extended periods of time. After all, you're not stupid, just evil.

So, shilling for Satan still working out for you? I wonder how you'll feel about it when the reckoning comes 👀
« Last post by crutonius on October 02, 2022, 10:04:06 PM »
Then whats the point of emergency funding?
If your house is flooded to the point where it needs to be rebuilt, do you just get some emergency funding for a week at a hotel and thats it?  Is spending a year to rebuild your house (or more depending on how many houses need to be rebuilt) not an emergency?

Many of the fundamental problems with the bill are not even about rebuilding what the hurricane damaged. The emergency hurricane relief request contained significant items which were going towards projects that were unrelated to the hurricane damage:

https://www.dailysignal.com/2012/12/14/hurricane-sandy-and-fema-abuse/

Last week, President Obama issued a request for $60.4 billion for Hurricane Sandy response and recovery. . . .Roughly $28 billion of the request is marked for future disaster-mitigation projects on the East Coast, including $3.2 million for erosion control projects and $15 billion for Housing and Urban Development Community Development Block Grants. As Heritage’s Matt Mayer explains, “Setting aside whether these projects have merit, a supplemental spending request to deal with a current crisis is not the appropriate vehicle to propose new spending projects.”

...Remove unnecessary items from the Administration’s request, and you’re left with a request of $12.8 billion in supplemental funds. . . .Proponents of looking at offsets for the hurricane supplemental have a point. As Mayer explains, “Too much of the Obama Administration’s supplemental request for Hurricane Sandy includes items best left for its upcoming budget.… Because of the federal government’s dire fiscal condition, underscored by the current fiscal cliff negotiations, spending reductions should offset any additional spending.”

If they want money for future disaster-mitigation projects then they should have acted honestly and created a request for that with the normal way they get funding, not try to sneak it into the hurricane sandy emergency relief.
Maybe so.  Sadly, American politics doesn't work like. 
I'm all for a 1 bill, one issue kinda system.  But I'm pretty sure the midwestern states and westard would just vote "no" because why should they care about the East Coast?  Politicians represent their state or area and their state/area generally doesn't give a shit about everyone else's problems.
So nothing would get done and the next Superstorm that hits would require yet another emergency bill.

I don't know.  I think most Americans are cognizant of how connected the states are to each other economically.  Places like Texas and Florida, while they have vile politicians in charge of them are just not areas that we can allow to be down for any amount of time. 

Objecting to future disaster mitigations is also kind of a head scratcher to me.  Do republicans really think that this will be the last hurricane that'll hit Florida?  What if spending 10 billion hardening infrastructure in these storm areas saves 50 billion in damages?  It's financially irresponsible to not prepare for what we know with absolute certainty will happen again.
Putin is going to level the remaining Ukraine and take any resources left.
Why hasn't he been doing that for the last 8 months?  Seems like if he could have done it, he would have done it already.

Or is this one of those "This isn't even my final form!" kinda scenarios where Russia just wanted to tease the world into thinking they're weak?
« Last post by Lord Dave on October 02, 2022, 09:11:41 PM »
If your house is flooded to the point where it needs to be rebuilt, do you just get some emergency funding for a week at a hotel and thats it?  Is spending a year to rebuild your house (or more depending on how many houses need to be rebuilt) not an emergency?

Many of the fundamental problems with the bill are not even about rebuilding what the hurricane damaged. The emergency hurricane relief request contained significant items which were going towards projects that were unrelated to the hurricane damage:

Last week, President Obama issued a request for $60.4 billion for Hurricane Sandy response and recovery. . . .Roughly $28 billion of the request is marked for future disaster-mitigation projects on the East Coast, including $3.2 million for erosion control projects and $15 billion for Housing and Urban Development Community Development Block Grants. As Heritage’s Matt Mayer explains, “Setting aside whether these projects have merit, a supplemental spending request to deal with a current crisis is not the appropriate vehicle to propose new spending projects.”

...Remove unnecessary items from the Administration’s request, and you’re left with a request of $12.8 billion in supplemental funds. . . .Proponents of looking at offsets for the hurricane supplemental have a point. As Mayer explains, “Too much of the Obama Administration’s supplemental request for Hurricane Sandy includes items best left for its upcoming budget.… Because of the federal government’s dire fiscal condition, underscored by the current fiscal cliff negotiations, spending reductions should offset any additional spending.”

Maybe so.  Sadly, American politics doesn't work like. 
I'm all for a 1 bill, one issue kinda system.  But I'm pretty sure the midwestern states and westard would just vote "no" because why should they care about the East Coast?  Politicians represent their state or area and their state/area generally doesn't give a shit about everyone else's problems.
So nothing would get done and the next Superstorm that hits would require yet another emergency bill.
Flat Earth Theory / Re: Comprehensive explanation for sunsets
« Last post by Tron on October 02, 2022, 07:36:42 PM »
I hope to make a more accurate model to scale to test some of these assumptions...

And yeah, I believe in space travel and photography.  The only way to reconcile FE Theory and space travel in my view is to not doubt its authenticity, rather finding a different interpretation of the data if called for.
« Last post by Tom Bishop on October 02, 2022, 07:27:13 PM »