Recent Posts

Philosophy, Religion & Society / Re: President Joe Biden
« Last post by Lord Dave on March 01, 2024, 11:43:01 AM »
Yeah, see, ask me what I did 5 years ago and I'll look at you with a blank stare.
Even in my prime, I couldn't remember much past a few days.
Flat Earth Theory / Re: The Conspiracy Theory of Space Travel being a Hoax
« Last post by BillO on March 01, 2024, 12:02:26 AM »
I am aware.

Apparently not.  You introduced the concept of "methods used for long-distance travel".  Remember?

One off flights like that of Lindbergh were not generally done for the purpose of "travel".  In his case he was trying to break a record and win a prize.  In fact, in all cases I can come up with, getting from A to B was not the intent.  You usually don't build one-off special aircraft to visit auntie Matilda.

You're good for a chuckle though.

As an aside (not part of the "discussion") it should also be noted that Lindbergh's "trip" actually began in San Diego, then on to St. Louis and New York before setting off over the Atlantic.  So, his "travel route" is distinctly not even close to a current non-stop flight from San Diego to Paris.  However, the Orteig Prize was only concerned with NY to Paris.  Fun fact.
« Last post by Action80 on February 29, 2024, 09:19:46 PM »
There were no long distance non-stop commercial flights in the celestial navigation days.  This is exactly the kind response I'd expect from someone that has absolutely no self awareness.
The first non-stop flights made were all non-commercial.

Introducing that term is simply a diversionary tactic on your part.

The point is they were made using celestial navigation.

I am aware.
« Last post by BillO on February 29, 2024, 03:49:19 PM »
Nuh -uh!  I said stuff, I do not need data, I'm pretty sure I'm right!!

Now you're just trolling, and very weekly at that.
Hitchens's razor applies here.  You made a statement and provided no evidence.  It's worthless dribble.

Introducing a prior multistop route into the discussion of a long-distance non-stop route is typical of the BS you try to interject.. and I choose to ignore what I said myself.. and excuse me while I move the goalposts..
There were no long distance non-stop commercial flights in the celestial navigation days.  This is exactly the kind response I'd expect from someone that has absolutely no self awareness.

Not hardly, as the sphere that should be labeled as such by them is NOT the earth, but the celestial sphere above.
Very funny!  And I thought you had no sense of humor.  You are joking, right?

Enjoy your fishing trip.
« Last post by Action80 on February 29, 2024, 01:30:56 PM »
They have not been making non-stop flights to Johannesburg from London for that long.
Where is your evidence for this?

Also, need I remind that your question was:
How long have they been able to fly non-stop from London to Johannesburg?

The 707 was able in 1950.  If you wanted a different answer, you should have asked a different question.
I already made my statement.

Long-distance travel routes have not varied significantly since their inception.

And they haven't.

Your own post showing Lindbergh's route clearly demonstrates that.

When you compare those routes when they started to what they fly now, they are essentially the same, as I stated.
In what way is the route from London to Johannesburg the same today as it was in 1930?
Introducing a prior multistop route into the discussion of a long-distance non-stop route is typical of the BS you try to interject into any examination of issues conducted in the threads on these boards. Your style is tiresome and weary and isn't worth the effort.

In your original response, you chose to provide the route taken by Lindbergh, which...SURPRISE!!!...doesn't vary much from what is taken now. Projection?
No, not projection at all.  Is that another word you have trouble with?

Go back and read that post.  I specifically said it was like the route they take today.  I was using it as an example of one of the first great circle routes. Here's a reminder:
Quote from: BillO
Some routes starting in the late 1930s when planes had more range, like Lindberg's flight from NY to Paris, did roughly use great circles.  Those are still in use today (a bit more accurate though), but their geometry would make little sense on a flat earth.
Confirming my response then. The long-distance routes today used by airliners have changed very little.

Yeah, one of the holes is using the dimensions of a spherical earth to arrive at a conclusion.
Yes, thanks for pointing that out, and not only is not a "hole" it proves their point as when they use a flat earth is does NOT work.

Your getting like Ranty now, working hard to prove the earth is round!!  Keep it up buddy!
Not hardly, as the sphere that should be labeled as such by them is NOT the earth, but the celestial sphere above.

Try harder next time.
« Last post by BillO on February 28, 2024, 09:27:32 PM »
They have not been making non-stop flights to Johannesburg from London for that long.
Where is your evidence for this?

Also, need I remind that your question was:

The 707 was able in 1950.  If you wanted a different answer, you should have asked a different question. 

When you compare those routes when they started to what they fly now, they are essentially the same, as I stated.
In what way is the route from London to Johannesburg the same today as it was in 1930?

In your original response, you chose to provide the route taken by Lindbergh, which...SURPRISE!!!...doesn't vary much from what is taken now. Projection?
No, not projection at all.  Is that another word you have trouble with?

Go back and read that post.  I specifically said it was like the route they take today.  I was using it as an example of one of the first great circle routes. Here's a reminder:
Quote from: BillO
Some routes starting in the late 1930s when planes had more range, like Lindberg's flight from NY to Paris, did roughly use great circles.  Those are still in use today (a bit more accurate though), but their geometry would make little sense on a flat earth.

Yeah, one of the holes is using the dimensions of a spherical earth to arrive at a conclusion.
Yes, thanks for pointing that out, and not only is not a "hole" it proves their point as when they use a flat earth is does NOT work.

Your getting like Ranty now, working hard to prove the earth is round!!  Keep it up buddy!
« Last post by Action80 on February 28, 2024, 07:38:36 PM »
Ever since planes with the range have been available, and that matters squat because they do fly non-stop from London to Johannesburg and back and they don't fly the old routes anymore.  On the slight chance you are asking in earnest, the Boeing 707 was the first airliner that was capable of making the flight.  It was first flown in 1950.  So, the ability has been there for 74 years.
What slight chance?

You have nothing.
You have to love the projection here.  Scintillating!

Even that paper is full of holes.
So surely you can point out a few of these "holes" with your detailed reasoning as to why they are "holes", to help us all understand, right?  Or are you just making baseless statements?
« Last post by BillO on February 28, 2024, 04:14:37 PM »
Ever since planes with the range have been available, and that matters squat because they do fly non-stop from London to Johannesburg and back and they don't fly the old routes anymore.  On the slight chance you are asking in earnest, the Boeing 707 was the first airliner that was capable of making the flight.  It was first flown in 1950.  So, the ability has been there for 74 years.

You have nothing.
You have to love the projection here.  Scintillating!

So surely you can point out a few of these "holes" with your detailed reasoning as to why they are "holes", to help us all understand, right?  Or are you just making baseless statements?
« Last post by Action80 on February 28, 2024, 01:47:42 PM »
snipped for brevity
Also, key factor, celestial navigation does not and cannot work on a flat earth.  https://arxiv.org/pdf/2206.07491.pdf

You have nothing.