Recent Posts

Philosophy, Religion & Society / Re: President Joe Biden
« Last post by Rushy on July 21, 2024, 10:36:12 PM »
I think this was the dumbest possible decision the DNC could make. Time will tell if that's true.
Why? Biden had zero chance of winning. Maybe you think Harris has too, but even if that's true it's not possible for anyone else to have less chance than Biden did. Him dropping out was the only possible chance the Democrats have of winning this election. There's a good chance they won't anyway, but there was nothing to lose.

Now they have legal minefield to navigate regarding how the candidate will be selected and how they will qualify to be on the ballot in each state. They're also confusing voters and making the DNC look chaotic.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/kamala-harris-trump-2024-polls-biden-rcna162934

Harris doesn't poll any better than Biden does. Now, that could change. It could get better... but looking back on her 2020 primary performance, the chances aren't looking good. The voters didn't like her at all and her primary run ended quickly.

I think the key take-away here is that all of the DNC's options are bad options, but keeping Biden at least appeared to be a sane thing to do, even if he was going to lose anyway. This will cause the DNC to devolve into even more finger-pointing and blame gaming than it was already doomed to experience.
« Last post by Lord Dave on July 21, 2024, 10:28:41 PM »
I think this was the dumbest possible decision the DNC could make. Time will tell if that's true.
Why? Biden had zero chance of winning. Maybe you think Harris has too, but even if that's true it's not possible for anyone else to have less chance than Biden did. Him dropping out was the only possible chance the Democrats have of winning this election. There's a good chance they won't anyway, but there was nothing to lose.

Not according to polling.
« Last post by AATW on July 21, 2024, 10:11:14 PM »
« Last post by Crudblud on July 21, 2024, 10:09:02 PM »
Allan Lichtman must be furious right now. The keys, the keys!
« Last post by juner on July 21, 2024, 10:05:15 PM »
this is actually unironically a bad thing
« Last post by Rushy on July 21, 2024, 09:50:58 PM »
Impressive. Biden has been out of the race only a few hours and the narrative has already switched from "Biden is the worst possible candidate the Democrats could be running, they're crazy to go with him" to "Biden was the best possible candidate the Democrats could be running, they're crazy to let him drop out."

With the DNC as it currently is, both statements are simultaneously true.
« Last post by honk on July 21, 2024, 09:23:19 PM »
Impressive. Biden has been out of the race only a few hours and the narrative has already switched from "Biden is the worst possible candidate the Democrats could be running, they're crazy to go with him" to "Biden was the best possible candidate the Democrats could be running, they're crazy to let him drop out."
« Last post by Rushy on July 21, 2024, 08:40:31 PM »
There's no point in arguing with him. We'll just have to wait until the thing he's insisting can't happen inevitably ends up happening, and then he'll probably say "haha trole u!" Anyway, I wasn't expecting this, but of course it's good news. I'd still bet that Trump wins, though. He's in a much stronger spot to win than he was in 2020.

Obviously, it was not impossible that Biden drop out (for example, he could die before the nomination). The idea of it actually happening was so incomprehensible that I assumed they wouldn't do it (hence, they can't do it). Watching a political party torpedo its own chances of winning an election in real-time is really something.

« Last post by honk on July 21, 2024, 08:30:15 PM »
There's no point in arguing with him. We'll just have to wait until the thing he's insisting can't happen inevitably ends up happening, and then he'll probably say "haha trole u!" Anyway, I wasn't expecting this, but of course it's good news. I'd still bet that Trump wins, though. He's in a much stronger spot to win than he was in 2020.