Curiosity File

Australia & Chile FET how far apart?
« on: November 04, 2018, 05:14:35 PM »
FET has Chile on one end and Australia on the other end of Earth.
How far apart are they on FE? 

Offline edby

• View Profile
Re: Australia & Chile FET how far apart?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 05:39:14 PM »
Santiago Chile -33.4489   -70.6693
Sydney Australia -33.8688   151.2093

FE distance (straight line) 25,683.20 km
GE distance (great circle) 11,346.72 km

FE distance assumes the azimuthal equidistant map. Other FE maps may give different distances.

Flight time Santiago Sydney 14.03 hours. This is equivalent to an average flight speed of 1,830km/h.
Globe earth average speed 808 km/h.

The figure of about 800 km/h is consistent with all the other data I have on flight times, however it could be that jet streams in the southern hemicircle of the world make planes faster. I still find it puzzling that the flight time is the same in either direction, but there may be some circular jet stream effect that allows planes to go faster in either direction. More research needed.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 05:47:10 PM by edby »

Curiosity File

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 05:53:38 PM »
Santiago Chile -33.4489   -70.6693
Sydney Australia -33.8688   151.2093

FE distance (straight line) 25,683.20 km
GE distance (great circle) 11,346.72 km

FE distance assumes the azimuthal equidistant map. Other FE maps may give different distances.
So FET does not match reality?

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/distances.html?n=232

https://www.entfernungsrechner.net/en/distance/city/2147714/city/3871336

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 06:27:34 PM »
So FET does not match reality?

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/distances.html?n=232

Those distances are worked out using the Globe Earth model. If the earth is a globe, then yes they match reality, and FET does not.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 07:50:58 PM »
Note that edby is a Round Earther and does not appear to base his numbers in anything other than his own impression of how things "should" be. It is unlikely that any FE'er will speak with too much certainty about long distances at such an early stage of the theory's development.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Curiosity File

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 08:09:52 PM »
Note that edby is a Round Earther and does not appear to base his numbers in anything other than his own impression of how things "should" be. It is unlikely that any FE'er will speak with too much certainty about long distances at such an early stage of the theory's development.
The problem I have with that theory is FET is not in its infancy, in fact it ran it's course thousands of years ago and died when real world long distance navigation advancements killed FET. 

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 08:20:51 PM »
There is no impression. I specifically stated my assumption of the AE map above, the rest is geometry.

Curiosity File

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 08:35:48 PM »
To be fair though, I guess the "NEW" FET movement is in it's infancy and once it gains some real world ground, we will have products on the market that base their construct on FET mapping for navigation. Then we'll get those FE map long distance measurements correct.
For now we're stuck with simple formulas like speed over time = distance. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 08:39:19 PM by Curiosity File »

Curiosity File

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 08:51:16 PM »
There is no impression. I specifically stated my assumption of the AE map above, the rest is geometry.
I would also say that that's not a personal impression on how thing should be, rather an observation of the reality of how things are.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 08:55:34 PM »

I'm not sure I follow this. Is it that in RET, long distances are known, traveled everyday but in FET, though traveled everyday, long distances are not known due to the theory's infancy?

Curiosity File

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 09:08:56 PM »

I'm not sure I follow this. Is it that in RET, long distances are known, traveled everyday but in FET, though traveled everyday, long distances are not known due to the theory's infancy?
Boy Pete sure brought a lot of questions to the table with this comment.
But yes, I believe that's exactly what he's saying.
Which answers a couple more questions like,
why isn't there any tech, equipment or products on the market that base their construct on FET?
also,
Why hasn't FES-FET found any physical proof the earth is flat?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 09:14:26 PM »
In the past when we have applied equal skepticism to the assertions made, we have found that Team Ball is assuming a whole littany of expectations and assumptions when presenting their data and methods, including the prevailing assumption that the earth is a globe.

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 09:25:18 PM »
In the past when we have applied equal skepticism to the assertions made, we have found that Team Ball is assuming a whole littany of expectations and assumptions when presenting their data and methods, including the prevailing assumption that the earth is a globe.
Like measured distances and path of the sun?

Curiosity File

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 09:36:05 PM »
Speed over time = distance is simple arithmetic that is verifiable physically. Which in the case of the OP subject has been done. This is not assumption.
Now, we can say that FET, in it's infancy, IS nothing more than an assumption.

Curiosity File

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 09:40:36 PM »
Like measured distances and path of the sun?
Yes, also like measuring distance from Earth to the Moon with advanced technology and equipment.

Offline rabinoz

• Just look South at the Stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2018, 09:47:19 PM »
The topic is "Australia & Chile FET how far apart?" and the air routes from Sydney to/from Santiago are flown non-stop.

So how about answering, "What is the distance from Australia to Chile according to FET?" A simple, very direct and very pertinent question.
If there is no answer I guess we'll just have to go with QANTAS flying that route in about 12 hours 10 minutes and covering about 11,400 km, though the flight of 2 years ago took only 11 hours 50 min.

Curiosity File

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2018, 10:02:03 PM »
The topic is "Australia & Chile FET how far apart?" and the air routes from Sydney to/from Santiago are flown non-stop.

So how about answering, "What is the distance from Australia to Chile according to FET?" A simple, very direct and very pertinent question.
If there is no answer I guess we'll just have to go with QANTAS flying that route in about 12 hours 10 minutes and covering about 11,400 km, though the flight of 2 years ago took only 11 hours 50 min.

That's interesting, the differences in time from 2 years ago. I would be interested in finding out why. But maybe save that for later in the thread.
I think Pete already answered the question why FET hasn't calculated the correct distance yet. Or at least gave an excuse.
But lets look at the different directions.
Your flight path went from east Australia eastward to the west shore of Chile.
The other flight paths went west across Africa.
Which brings up another question or set of questions.
If the east shore of Australia is on the far east edge of FE and the west shore of Chile is on the far west edge of FE, how can a flight leave east Ausy eastbound and end up on the west shore of Chile if the Earth were flat? And what would be the distances?
In fact it show almost the exact same mile and time no matter which path you take

« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 10:09:57 PM by Curiosity File »

Offline edby

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2018, 10:20:07 PM »
I have accumulated a mass of data on published flight times. This does not depend on the prevailing assumption that the earth is a globe. I have verified some of these from personal experience. On the ones I  have not verified, the observation is verifiable, in that anyone can get on a plane and time the journey.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2018, 11:41:46 PM »
Given RET's "whole littany of expectations and assumptions", do you believe that the globe model is functional on a practical, day-to-day basis for things like long distance airline flights?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

totallackey

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2018, 02:36:24 PM »
I find it hilarious the grandstanding and posturing provided by RE adherents when it comes to this topic.

Always claim the AE is simply a projection, yet evidently then want to apply different standards of measurement for the amount of space between lines of longitude between the two countries given in the OP.

A complete lack of intellectual and philosophical honesty.