Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
FE Conference Denver
« on: November 02, 2018, 01:46:19 AM »
Is anyone here going to this?
I bought a VIP ticket early in the year and looking forward to it.

http://fe2018.com/schedule/

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: FE Conference Denver
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 04:41:34 PM »
I am not going. However, make sure to inform them that The Flat Earth Society is not a "government-run shill operation".

Online MattyWS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 04:57:24 PM »
Where's the ticket money going to? Legit question because if someone is making a profit from having you all believe the earth is flat, it is pretty much the same as peoples belief that the government profit from making us believe the world is a globe. What's stopping FET from being a conspiracy of it's own?

Offline junker

• Planar Moderator
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 05:22:38 PM »
Where's the ticket money going to? Legit question because if someone is making a profit from having you all believe the earth is flat, it is pretty much the same as peoples belief that the government profit from making us believe the world is a globe. What's stopping FET from being a conspiracy of it's own?

You should probably ask the organizers, as tfes.org is not affiliated with the conference. Nothing here at tfes.org is for-profit. Parsifal hosts this place with his own money and time; we don't serve ads, and we are all volunteers. Even the items in the Cafe Press shop are zero markup.
Please make sure to check out these resources to ensure that your time at tfes.org is enjoyable and productive.

1. The Rules

2. The FAQ

3. The Wiki

You're doing God's work, junker.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 05:36:28 PM »
One of the vendors listed for the conference uses the TFES logo for their shop and advert.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/flatearthshop?section_id=22388520

You may have authorized it. Don't know.

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 10:55:22 AM »
I'm interested that there are sessions called:

Biblical Cosmology
The topic: Defending your cosmological worldview from the Bible: What do the Scriptures have to say about the Earth and its place in the cosmos?
14+ Ways the Bible Says Flat Earth
Where Are We? Earth According to the Bible
Flat Earth & The Bible Panel Q&A
"This is literally just a few people talking about it for a brief time every day on their spare time. That’s the flat earth movement" - Tom Bishop

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 05:35:48 PM »

Biblical Cosmology
The topic: Defending your cosmological worldview from the Bible: What do the Scriptures have to say about the Earth and its place in the cosmos?

If you have an interest then you should sign up and go to them. Alternatively, there is an online streaming pass which is of a cheaper cost.

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 08:46:42 PM »
If you have an interest then you should sign up and go to them. Alternatively, there is an online streaming pass which is of a cheaper cost.
I live in the UK so it's not really practical to attend.
The online pass is more doable but $40 dollars is a bit steep to see the same sort of thing I can see on YouTube for free.
My annual round earth research budget is 0.
It's just interesting to see that their agenda and motivation is much the same as Rowbotham's, to promote Scripture
"This is literally just a few people talking about it for a brief time every day on their spare time. That’s the flat earth movement" - Tom Bishop

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 04:56:17 AM »

Biblical Cosmology

Robbie Davidson, the organiser, says 80% will be viewable on YouTube for free - apparently live. In any case, the one he put on a year ago in Raleigh, NC was viewable online for free shortly after the conference.   

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 05:03:35 AM »
I am not going. However, make sure to inform them that The Flat Earth Society is not a "government-run shill operation".
copy

I state the difference between this and Daniel’s forum when the subject arises and that the online libraries on both are fine sources of information.

Actually, that last part is well worth mentioning to folks there looking for sources of info. I used to think Daniel’s forum had the best library, but Tom Bishop has supplemented so much material here that both are worth knowing.

Significantly, I perceive their collective hostility to the “flat earth society” is based on a lot of the same causes which motivated this forum’s separation from Daniel’s old forum in the first place. I don’t recall exactly which year this forum began, but if memory serves it was fairly shortly (a year or two) before their YouTube movement took off in 2014.

If you’re suggesting that they get a bit too tied up in conspiracy theory, then I would agree.

Incidentally, Robert Sungenis (Galileo Was Wrong) will debate a flat earther at the event.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:12:38 AM by Dionysios »

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 05:23:01 AM »
I know two of the presenters already. I drove up to Seattle in 2017 and met both Darryle Marble and Mark Sargent at my first meetup. I’ve met Darryle a few times since and corresponded with Mark, but this conference will be my first time meeting the others.

I have to say. Although they’ve done well, their leaders have been flat earth believers only three and a half or four years. 

Even Robert Sungenis the spherical geocentrist said he began believing that way in 2003. I first read Rowbotham’s book and believed in 1996, but I first believed in geocentrism like Sungenis back in 1994. I got him by a decade.

I’ve still got a letter that Robert Schadewald sent to me back in 1997. Maybe I should dig it up and bring it along.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 05:25:39 AM by Dionysios »

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 11:01:31 AM »
R. Sungenis will be very difficult to deal with, more so than any RE (by comparison).

Here are his views on the UA/3000 mile Sun:

http://www.robertsungenis.com/gww/features/Flat%20Earth%20Geography.pdf

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕‿◕✿)
    • View Profile
    • The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 02:45:20 PM »
I've been avoiding these conferences for a number of reasons, mostly the profit-motivation, the Biblical literalism, and the small matter of them repeatedly calling me a government agent (I might be confrontational, but I don't really want to deal with that). Of course, all publicity is good publicity, so I wish them all the best nonetheless.

Last time they held one of these I was contacted by a journalist writing for the Canadian Geographic. When I realised that he was writing a hit-piece and withdrew consent, he tried blackmailing me by saying he'll write super-mean stuff about the society if I don't comply. Strangely, no article was published in the end - I wonder why.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we've already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Facebook and Twitter!

*mic stays stationary and earth accelerates upwards towards it*

Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 04:54:29 PM »
I've been avoiding these conferences for a number of reasons, mostly the profit-motivation, the Biblical literalism, and the small matter of them repeatedly calling me a government agent (I might be confrontational, but I don't really want to deal with that). Of course, all publicity is good publicity, so I wish them all the best nonetheless.

Last time they held one of these I was contacted by a journalist writing for the Canadian Geographic. When I realised that he was writing a hit-piece and withdrew consent, he tried blackmailing me by saying he'll write super-mean stuff about the society if I don't comply. Strangely, no article was published in the end - I wonder why.

I’d say that hostile media is the common enemy of both. What that incident brings to my mind is finding a civil rights commission with jurisdiction, perhaps contacting his employer, and even his employer’s advertisers. Hit them where it hurts. Research and hit ‘em hard.

As to that growing strata of the flat earth community, I would say it’s perhaps similar to these forums in one sense which is that their leadership can be more mature than some of the rank and file - just like on these forums. I’ve seen a couple of I’ll advised comments against wasting time with Sungenis, but Rob Skiba told event organiser Robbie Davidson earlier this week that he’d like to eat with him the night before they spar.

For what it’s worth, I’ll try to make the leadership’s understanding of the history of these forums a bit more nuanced.

As far as the preponderance of biblical literalists in that crowd (which is far from complete vis a vis agnostics like Jeran is one of them), I cannot help. It seems that niche is theirs in the same way these many on these forums have an inclination towards agnosticism.