Offline Cain

• This is the line of division.
    • View Profile
Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version)
« Reply #840 on: March 27, 2018, 11:17:10 PM »
Anyone hit the high Sea of Thieves yet?
Watched some gameplay last night, looks fantastic, almost got seasick.

Looks fun. There doesn't seem to be a meaningful progression system, however.
You just made my list, buddy.  >:(
this world does not have room for another mind as intelligent as yours.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 27, 2018, 11:44:16 PM »
Looks fun. There doesn't seem to be a meaningful progression system, however.
From what I've seen, stuff you can "progress" is almost entirely cosmetic until the "endgame" (legend status or something) which can only be reached through grinding extremely repetitive quests which are made up of a handful of categories by faction. The fun mostly seems to be in co-op navigation and exploration, but with a limited map space it looks to be sustainable only for a fairly limited time, especially given the speed with which you can get around if you apply a little common sense in angling the sails. Aside from its apparent network issues, it seems at present to be a bit sparse on things to do, hopefully Rare will patch in more content to go with the lovely presentation.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 30, 2018, 03:23:37 AM »
Pinstripe

I don't believe that slapping a clunky, sappy Heart-Wrenching Personal Storyâ„¢ onto a mediocre puzzle-platformer makes it any better of a game. Most reviewers apparently disagree. The nicest thing I can say about this is that the artstyle is pretty unique.
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 30, 2018, 05:21:42 PM »
L.A. Noire

Played it, actually liked it, sue me.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Cain

• View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 09, 2018, 10:59:13 PM »
Hunt Down The Freeman

Absolute shit. Some jackass forgot to remove an invisible wall, so I had to no-clip to continue. If you have to cheat to finish your game, your game is garbage.
Also, in the trailers you get your ass handed to you by Gordon Freeman. In the actual game, it's just some random dude in a H.E.V suit.
But they have vehicles, so 10/10 would not recommend.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: May 09, 2018, 11:42:08 PM »
That game has the best example of a generic, tryhard "badass" hero that I've ever seen:

I can't decide if the scars or the hair is worse. To paraphrase Cr1TiKaL, this is a middle-schooler's idea of what a cool guy who gets all the girls looks like.

Offline Cain

• View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 10, 2018, 10:59:52 PM »
That game has the best example of a generic, tryhard "badass" hero that I've ever seen:

I can't decide if the scars or the hair is worse. To paraphrase Cr1TiKaL, this is a middle-schooler's idea of what a cool guy who gets all the girls looks like.
Don't forget how the characters are voiced by shitty youtubers. And I vaguely remember the G-Man saying Black Mesa wrong.

« Reply #847 on: May 15, 2018, 12:05:21 AM »
i recently started playing factorio autism simulator at rushy's suggestion.  it is fun.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Cain

• View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 15, 2018, 12:17:46 AM »
i recently started playing factorio autism simulator
hmmm
is fun.
HMMMM

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 15, 2018, 05:04:20 PM »
Finally playing Persona 5. I'm like seven hours in so I think I'm almost past the intro.

I'm having fun for the most part but goddang the writing in this game is...not great, to put it lightly.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: May 17, 2018, 07:07:38 PM »
i recently started playing factorio autism simulator at rushy's suggestion.  it is fun.

In case anyone was wondering why it's an autism simulator.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 17, 2018, 07:59:20 PM »
Looks like Sim City 2000.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 20, 2018, 04:39:58 AM »
Far Cry 5

This game has an even worse ending than Shadow of War. It's barely even an ending at all. It's an anti-ending, a nihilistic fart, a giant "Fuck you" from Ubisoft to the player. If another dev, like Rockstar, had made this, I might have considered it a deliberate troll, but I'm sure that in reality the assholes at Ubisoft who wrote this are patting themselves on the back about how deep and subversive and clever they are. It's enormously stupid and unsatisfying.

Rushy has asked me why I care about the story so much. I care about as much as Ubisoft does, which is to say that it's fair to criticize the story heavily when it's so prominent in the game. Make no mistake, there's no escaping this story. To a degree, the game allows you to choose which missions you want to complete to earn the "resistance points" you need to progress, but at set intervals within each region, you're scripted to be captured by your enemies and delivered to the local underboss so that they can monologue at you and give you a mission to escape from them. Even if you're in the middle of a different story mission. Even if there are no enemies within a mile of your current location. I don't necessarily hate these intervals. All four of the cult's leaders are pretty decent video game villains with excellent voice acting, and I like how determined they are to actually win you over to their side, but there must have been a better way to incorporate these missions into the game than having you instantly being captured by invisible enemies at seemingly-random times.

Speaking of your interactions with the villains, I hate that you're a nameless mute in this game. What a bizarre step backwards with no discernible benefit for the series. The story, such as it is, would be improved so, so much if the main character was, you know, an actual character. These villains needed someone to actually bounce off of and interact with to be properly realized. And there was an easy solution if they wanted to include the villainous monologues - gag the player character. It also bothers me a little that you're constantly being addressed as "rookie" throughout the game. Even after slaughtering hundreds of cult members and being far and away the best fighter in the entire county, you're still the rookie, the new guy, the low man on the totem pole. It feels very condescending. What sense does it even make for you to be a sheriff's deputy when you're clearly a stranger who knows almost nobody there, anyway? You're new to the department, but I hardly think you'd be new to the county. Wouldn't it be a much better fit for the player character to be the US Marshal determined to bring down the cult? It would explain how nobody knows you, indicate that you probably already have some experience already, and even lend some resonance to the idea the game keeps pushing about how maybe this is all your fault and you're the real villain here.

Aside from all that, there is a lot of fun to be had in this game. I like the nonlinear structure, the perk system of leveling yourself up is a welcome simplification of the animal leathers gimmick from previous games, and the setting is wonderful - although I will say that I'm not a fan of the frequent animal attacks. These animals are far too aggressive and overpowered, and what really irritates me is that I strongly suspect Ubisoft deliberately amped that element up in the hopes of provoking memes and Internet jokes. What a terrible detail to focus on. Another thing that I dislike is the heavy reliance on surrealistic setpieces. In previous games, they'd have just a handful of trippy scenes, and that would be fine, but here, they're a crutch for a dev that was clearly too lazy to properly arrange the geography and mechanics of grounded setpieces. In a hallucination, they can do anything they want! Have enemies respawn on the spot. Give the boss a huge bar of health. Have the boss disappear when shot and appear somewhere else. Let the player run around a large area without worrying about where in the overworld it is. Spawn crates of ammo for them between rounds. It's so easy when you don't have to worry about rules and logic!

I know that this is all over the place, but it's how I feel. tl;dr: not interested in discussing how realistic things are in an alternate universe post-apoc game w/ talking mutants and ghouls

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: June 11, 2018, 05:49:13 PM »
Oh boy new Elder Scrolls announcement and it's not Elseweyr or Black Marsh just  M O R E G E N E R I C H I G H F A N T A S Y

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: June 12, 2018, 03:22:03 PM »
I'd be very surprised if that tiny clip was actually part of the game and not just a generic background to flash "Elder Scrolls VI" against. I mean, I'm sure the game will end up being generic as all hell, but I'm basing that on Bethesda's record, not on what they showed.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #855 on: June 13, 2018, 04:49:33 PM »
Can't get more generic than High Rock.
The Mastery.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: June 13, 2018, 11:39:51 PM »
Sure, but I'd be surprised if they were planning on using a desert for the game but used greenery for the announcement. Unless they literally don't know where they're placing it yet.

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: June 14, 2018, 08:40:10 AM »
Maybe it'll be an example of CHIMP in action.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: June 14, 2018, 03:57:25 PM »
They probably just wanted to show off scenery that they thought would look impressive, and so they settled on mountains. Showing off a desert or swamp or whatever wouldn't have the same impact.

« Reply #859 on: June 24, 2018, 12:38:22 PM »
my roommate bought some mario tennis game for the switch. it's dope af imo imo imho tbqh.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.