Offline Dionysios

• View Profile
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #1940 on: August 07, 2018, 03:37:12 AM »
‘The Unknown War’ (1978)
Produced in the USSR
Narrated by Burt Lancaster

Significantly devoid of typical American anti-communism, a made for American tv documentary in 20 informative episodes of 47 minutes each about every major aspect of the Soviet Union in World War II.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 03:39:03 AM by Dionysios »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Wake me up w-...actually, no, don't
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: August 09, 2018, 04:32:31 AM »
Watermelon Man (Melvin Van Peebles, 1970)

That was one of the weirdest fucking experiences in my life. I did not know what I was getting into. I saw a brief plot summary somewhere and thought "oh that sounds like a bit of goofy light-hearted family comedy with an odd concept for the time it was made, I'll check it out" and I don't even know what the fuck I got. The overzealous overacting, the strange arthouse camerawork on what looks like a feel-good family film, the soundtrack that's basically the director yelling "AMERICA" at you to clashing instruments that are technically playing rhythms but sometimes feel like each player was given different songs to play, bizarre genre and stylistic changes mid-scene, whiplash emotions and character behaviors from scene-to-scene, all weirder because I'm sure all of that was on purpose but it's hard to tell if some of it wasn't.

I think I liked it? I don't know. I don't know. I think I hand-to-forehead mouthed "what the fuck?" a dozen or so times during that film. I don't know if it was really that strange or if it was just the clash of what I expected vs what I got. Anyone else who's seen this film please chime in because I need to know if I'm losing my mind.
Quote from: garygreen date=1480782226
i also took an online quiz that said i was a giraffe.  and i guess you're dumb enough to believe that i must be because the internet said so.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: August 09, 2018, 05:34:40 PM »
Watermelon Man (Melvin Van Peebles, 1970)

That was one of the weirdest fucking experiences in my life. I did not know what I was getting into. I saw a brief plot summary somewhere and thought "oh that sounds like a bit of goofy light-hearted family comedy with an odd concept for the time it was made, I'll check it out" and I don't even know what the fuck I got. The overzealous overacting, the strange arthouse camerawork on what looks like a feel-good family film, the soundtrack that's basically the director yelling "AMERICA" at you to clashing instruments that are technically playing rhythms but sometimes feel like each player was given different songs to play, bizarre genre and stylistic changes mid-scene, whiplash emotions and character behaviors from scene-to-scene, all weirder because I'm sure all of that was on purpose but it's hard to tell if some of it wasn't.

I think I liked it? I don't know. I don't know. I think I hand-to-forehead mouthed "what the fuck?" a dozen or so times during that film. I don't know if it was really that strange or if it was just the clash of what I expected vs what I got. Anyone else who's seen this film please chime in because I need to know if I'm losing my mind.

I saw it when I was a kid. Don't remember it extremely well but do remember reacting similarly. A racist white guy wakes up one day to find he's suddenly turned black. Obviously there's a message about tolerance in there. Strange fucking movie.
Electro-Theologist, Poet, Philosopher, Musician, Etymologist, Egyptologist, Astro-Theologist, Geocentrist, Flat Earther, and Collector of Rare Books.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Wake me up w-...actually, no, don't
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: August 09, 2018, 08:26:18 PM »
I'm really glad I'm not alone. I started to wonder if I'd maybe hallucinated it all.

Christopher Robin (Marc Foster, 2018)

A really lighthearted, predictable bit of fun. I wouldn't call it an artistic masterpiece, but I enjoyed it a lot for the warm fuzzies and well-played nostalgia. I cried twice, so I'd say it did a great job at what it set out to accomplish.

Insomnia (Christopher Nolan, 2002)

Watched on a whim and it was unsurprisingly good. As someone who actually does have diagnosed insomnia, I was honestly most taken with how well the film (and Al Pacino) potrays it. Just watching Pacino become more languid as time goes on, delayed reaction and flattened emotions with occasional manic moments, seeing things, becoming kind of mentally lost, absolutely fantastic. That aside, the story is interesting and the threads weave amongst each other naturally and Nolan does a good job making the chase tantalizing enough to constantly want to know what's going to happen next. Features several dead people. Good movie.

The Virgin Suicides (Sofia Coppola, 1999)

Beautiful soundtrack, very interesting dreamy atmosphere. Air was definitely the right pick to score this film. As for the film itself, well, I'm not entirely sure how I felt about it. I started and ended the film with essentially the same amount of information as to what transpired during its runtime. It definitely has a nostalgically wistful portrayal of adolescence and coming of age, so to speak, and really I think the main attribute of the film I admire is the feeling of imagination and pubescent embellishment that permeates every layer of it. I get the feeling that the film isn't honestly actually about the girls that the plot centers around, at least not completely, but for some reason I don't think I ever really arrived wherever it is the film wanted me to. I'm just kind of left with this lingering feeling that the film's meaning went completely over my head.

At least it looked and sounded good though.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:38:00 AM by Snupes »
Quote from: garygreen date=1480782226
i also took an online quiz that said i was a giraffe.  and i guess you're dumb enough to believe that i must be because the internet said so.