Offline junker

• Planar Moderator
  • Boom
    • View Profile
Linux on a Dell XPS 13
« on: March 10, 2016, 10:59:54 PM »
I have a Dell XPS 13 9343 that was issued to me by work. It has decent specs (i7/8GB RAM/256GB SSD), and came loaded with Windows 10. I primarily use my MacBook for everything, at-home work included, so the XPS has sat collecting dust for months. The only time it really got any use was a couple days last month when I bricked my MacBook Air. After I got my 13" Retina Pro to replace my dead Air, the XPS went back on the shelf. I decided to at least reload Win10 on it because it still had the OEM image. But, I hate Windows 10. A lot. Come to find out that this particular model also has a developer version which was built around Ubuntu, and most of my version's internals are the same. Ubuntu is not my favorite distro, but for what I would use this laptop for, it was way better than Windows 10. I threw 15.10 on a bootable USB drive and had a clean install going in less than 15 min. Nearly everything worked flawlessly and smoothly from the start, even the touchscreen and trackpad multi-touch. I had some issues with Bluetooth, but ended up just extracting a cab file, converting it to a hcd, and copying it to the proper firmware directory; issue solved. Anyway, it has been a very enjoyable experience thus far. I think I may replace my primary work computer with it and give it a go. Anyway, if you have a XPS 13 and don't like, want, or need Windows, I recommend Ubuntu for a good Linux experience.

No, Parsifal, I am not putting OpenBSD on it. I already have a laptop for that specific purpose.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 11:02:02 PM by junker »
Please make sure to check out these resources to ensure that your time at tfes.org is enjoyable and productive.

1. The Rules

2. The FAQ

3. The Wiki

You're doing God's work, junker.

Thork

Re: Linux on a Dell XPS 13
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 11:08:35 PM »
The XPS is a nice laptop. What a waste.

I did see a nice Linux box though. It is called the cirrus 7 and ships with Ubuntu.

Nice little fanless design.

Of course I'd have to get that filth off its hard drive and install Windows 10.

Offline Parsifal

• Administrator
  • Head Arthologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 02:59:36 AM »
Ubuntu is basically never a good Linux experience. If you really want Linux and aren't a *nix geek, Fedora is your best bet.

That said, you should really reconsider using OpenBSD.
There is free speech and there is being an annoying twat. This user is exercising his right to the latter.

Offline junker

• Planar Moderator
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 03:01:57 AM »
Ubuntu is basically never a good Linux experience. If you really want Linux and aren't a *nix geek, Fedora is your best bet.
I prefer the Fedora-based distros. Mostly because I have to support CentOS and Red Hat.

That said, you should really reconsider using OpenBSD.
>o< I already have a laptop that runs it. Quite nicely, in fact.
Please make sure to check out these resources to ensure that your time at tfes.org is enjoyable and productive.

1. The Rules

2. The FAQ

3. The Wiki

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • (◕‿◕✿)
    • View Profile
    • The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 09:49:10 AM »
Install Gentoo OpenBSD
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we've already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Facebook and Twitter!

Offline junker

• Planar Moderator
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 05:44:41 AM »
I have a Dell XPS 13 9343 that was issued to me by work. It has decent specs (i7/8GB RAM/256GB SSD), and came loaded with Windows 10. I primarily use my MacBook for everything, at-home work included, so the XPS has sat collecting dust for months. The only time it really got any use was a couple days last month when I bricked my MacBook Air. After I got my 13" Retina Pro to replace my dead Air, the XPS went back on the shelf. I decided to at least reload Win10 on it because it still had the OEM image. But, I hate Windows 10. A lot. Come to find out that this particular model also has a developer version which was built around Ubuntu, and most of my version's internals are the same. Ubuntu is not my favorite distro, but for what I would use this laptop for, it was way better than Windows 10. I threw 15.10 on a bootable USB drive and had a clean install going in less than 15 min. Nearly everything worked flawlessly and smoothly from the start, even the touchscreen and trackpad multi-touch. I had some issues with Bluetooth, but ended up just extracting a cab file, converting it to a hcd, and copying it to the proper firmware directory; issue solved. Anyway, it has been a very enjoyable experience thus far. I think I may replace my primary work computer with it and give it a go. Anyway, if you have a XPS 13 and don't like, want, or need Windows, I recommend Ubuntu for a good Linux experience.

No, Parsifal, I am not putting OpenBSD on it. I already have a laptop for that specific purpose.

Oh hey it has been a year since I made this post. I still have the XPS. But it is now running the Insiders latest build of Win10 with Bash on Ubuntu on Windows.

1. The Rules

2. The FAQ

3. The Wiki