Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
New Laptop
« on: February 06, 2016, 12:25:40 AM »
So I just bricked my 13" MacBook Air. I was roughhousing with our dog and we managed to knock over my water bottle on the coffee table which fell at just the right trajectory to launch water into the exhaust grill. Just cracked it open and dried it out, but I think that may be the end for that laptop. I have a 13" XPS from work that I never used before but is coming in handy now. Regardless, it is time for a new laptop anyway. My initial inclination is another MacBook, but I wouldn't mind getting opinions from the crowd. What should I get, FES?

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
Re: New Laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 12:49:41 AM »
15 inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 01:01:07 AM »
15 inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

I am definitely leaning toward a pro, just don't know if I want to lug around a 15" laptop. While the discrete graphics are pretty nice, I don't really do much to justify the need for them. I was trying to hold out for the Skylake refresh, but who knows when that will actually happen.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 01:02:39 AM »
Buy a second-hand ThinkPad on E-Bay. You can't beat it for value for money.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 01:06:32 AM »
I'm sure a Skylake refresh will happen this year, possibly for their Fall event.

But yeah, the extra weight in the 15 incher is totally worth it for that glorious display, in my opinion. And the keyboard is much, much nicer to type on.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 01:08:37 AM by Hollocron »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 01:23:14 AM »
Buy a second-hand ThinkPad on E-Bay. You can't beat it for value for money.

I have a ThinkPad x201 I bought just for OpenBSD a year ago, upgraded the RAM and put a SSD in it. SU is using it in her class right now, though. I didn't overly care for it when I was using it, which is why I gave it to her for her classroom.

I'm sure a Skylake refresh will happen this year, possibly for their Fall event.

But yeah, the extra weight in the 15 incher is totally worth it for that glorious display, in my opinion. And the keyboard is much, much nicer to type on.

You are right, it is hard to not get it just for that. Allegedly, the Skylake refresh will bring 4K, which could be pretty sweet on a laptop if done right.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 01:24:53 AM by junker »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 02:19:51 AM »
I have a ThinkPad x201 I bought just for OpenBSD a year ago, upgraded the RAM and put a SSD in it. SU is using it in her class right now, though. I didn't overly care for it when I was using it, which is why I gave it to her for her classroom.

I hope it's still running OpenBSD. Those kids need early exposure to the best operating system in the world.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 02:39:32 AM »

I hope it's still running OpenBSD. Those kids need early exposure to the best operating system in the world.

We are talking about 10 year old kids who can barely pronounce three letter words. I don't think their choice of operating system is the most pertinent thing to worry about.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 04:06:52 AM »
I use a Surface Pro. It's the first one to ever come out; I haven't checked out the newer ones fully but I assume they're at least somewhat better.

I've been pretty happy with it so far. I had to fight with it to install normal Intel drivers, though. Kept wanting to use some shitastic Microsoft approved garbage.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 04:08:36 AM by Rushy »

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
New Laptop
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 04:37:11 AM »
I use a Surface Pro. It's the first one to ever come out; I haven't checked out the newer ones fully but I assume they're at least somewhat better.

I've been pretty happy with it so far. I had to fight with it to install normal Intel drivers, though. Kept wanting to use some shitastic Microsoft approved garbage.

I'm having a terrible experience with this XPS 13. I'm not opposed to looking at a MS product, but it needs to just work. I am an antsy mofo with zero patience. That's why the MacBook works so well for me.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 07:58:32 AM »
What do you use the laptop for?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 08:10:45 AM »
We are talking about 10 year old kids who can barely pronounce three letter words. I don't think their choice of operating system is the most pertinent thing to worry about.

You mean they're already 10 and they haven't been properly introduced to computers yet? If I ever have kids, they'll be learning their way around Unix as soon as they can manipulate a keyboard.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 02:39:37 PM »
Mostly work. Scripting, testing with various VMs, Office, browsing, and multimedia junk. Nothing too intensive. Limited on the VM testing with the Air because you can't upgrade the RAM.

You mean they're already 10 and they haven't been properly introduced to computers yet? If I ever have kids, they'll be learning their way around Unix as soon as they can manipulate a keyboard.

They definitely haven't been properly introduced. Most of these kids worry more about where their next meal will come from more than using Unix. There are two Win 7 computers in the classroom, but over 30 kids, so not a lot that can be done there.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 02:49:02 PM »
Mostly work. Scripting, testing with various VMs, Office, browsing, and multimedia junk. Nothing too intensive. Limited on the VM testing with the Air because you can't upgrade the RAM.

They definitely haven't been properly introduced. Most of these kids worry more about where their next meal will come from more than using Unix. There are two Win 7 computers in the classroom, but over 30 kids, so not a lot that can be done there.

Then stick with apple.  Wait for the next laptop to come out then buy last year's model.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 03:49:29 PM »
Then stick with apple.  Wait for the next laptop to come out then buy last year's model.

Currently, I am planning on sticking with Apple. Just wanted to see if anyone had good experiences elsewhere. The refresh for the MacBook line is supposedly happening around Q3 2016. If they do have 4K displays, I will most certainly get one of those.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2016, 05:54:21 AM »
Things actually worked out pretty well. A friend of mine was looking to get rid of his 2014 13" Retina Pro. I traded some stuff and threw a little cash at him and bam, I am back in the MacBook game. This will tide me over until the touchscreen 4K MacBooks are released later this year.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2016, 09:50:11 AM »
Oh Jesus, I hope they don't make them touchscreen. They're starting to do everything Jobs didn't want to do (huge iPad with a stylus).

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2016, 12:07:32 PM »
and threw a little cash at him
Send me some money.
The Mastery.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2016, 06:22:16 PM »

Thork

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2016, 07:25:20 PM »
I was roughhousing with our dog

What should I get, FES?
If 'roughhousing' is the euphemism I suspect, a minimum of 2 years in prison. >:(