Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
e-readers
« on: March 02, 2016, 01:05:08 PM »
So I ordered up a Kobo Glo HD last week and it arrived today. I had previously bought, and have just transferred to it, the entire Harry Potter series in Dutch. Now I get to read some serious Dutch for the first time.

This is my first e-reader, and so far I love the E-Ink screen, though of course I'll have a better idea of how good it is once I've read some stuff. Anyone else have some fascinating tales to tell?
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Re: e-readers
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 04:18:09 PM »
i have a paperwhite, and i'm a huge fan.  i enjoy reading from a physical book more than i enjoy reading from a device, but the sheer convenience of my paperwhite outweighs all of that.  it's just too great to always have my entire book library on-hand literally anywhere i want to go.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 05:31:43 PM »
i have a paperwhite, and i'm a huge fan.  i enjoy reading from a physical book more than i enjoy reading from a device, but the sheer convenience of my paperwhite outweighs all of that.  it's just too great to always have my entire book library on-hand literally anywhere i want to go.

This, basically. I do still prefer reading a real book but the convenience overwhelms that.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline lolwut?

• -flatearther43.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 05:36:36 PM »
So I ordered up a Kobo Glo HD last week and it arrived today. I had previously bought, and have just transferred to it, the entire Harry Potter series in Dutch. Now I get to read some serious Dutch for the first time.

This is my first e-reader, and so far I love the E-Ink screen, though of course I'll have a better idea of how good it is once I've read some stuff. Anyone else have some fascinating tales to tell?

You think reading Harry Potter is "serious" reading?
-flatearther43.2

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 06:30:46 PM »
I had a Kindle for a while and loved it, but I'm just as content to read on my computer (especially since it's a Surface, so I can just hold it like a book — this is incredible for comics).
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 06:31:48 PM »
E-readers are quite handy. I've also had a paperwhite for a couple years, but lately I've found myself reading print books more and more. I think they cause the reader to become more immersed in the story, and you get to build a big collection of physical books.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 11:10:39 PM »
Don't you think at least part of the magic will be lost in the translation?

I've read them all in English years ago. This is mainly an exercise in improving my Dutch, but in any case, from glancing at the first couple of pages, it doesn't look like it's a sloppy translation at all. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how they've translated some of the fictional concepts.

For instance, I already know (from looking at the title of the translated "Quidditch Through the Ages") that they haven't just borrowed in the word "Quidditch", but instead translated it as "Zwerkbal", which roughly translates back as "skyball".

The other advantage I've noticed is that e-books are (sometimes?) cheaper than their physical counterparts. The convenience factor does seem really nice too.

I had a Kindle for a while and loved it, but I'm just as content to read on my computer (especially since it's a Surface, so I can just hold it like a book — this is incredible for comics).

Does staring at that screen the whole time not get annoying? I spend all day at work and much of my free time staring at computer screens, which is why I wanted a proper e-reader with a display that won't nuke my eyeballs.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 08:36:43 AM »
Enjoy the Soortijn Kapp placing Harri in Greij van Doer.

Nice try, but Dutch words never end with the same consonant twice.