Thork

Apple and viruses
« on: May 27, 2014, 07:33:39 PM »
For a long time, Apple users have banged on about how safe Apple is and that they don't need anti-virus.

Well Apple is now a big enough target. Welcome to the internet.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27588972

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Apple and viruses
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 07:38:46 PM »
Thork if you think anything will change what an Apple customer thinks about Apple you have not had enough experience with cults. I am so jealous of Apple. I mean, really. If I could trick that many people into throwing money at me... it's like trolling the world.

Offline Lemon

• Lime
    • View Profile
    • Disco
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 07:40:03 PM »
Thork if you think anything will change what an Apple customer thinks about Apple you have not had enough experience with cults. I am so jealous of Apple. I mean, really. If I could trick that many people into throwing money at me... it's like trolling the world.

omg 999

And I agree. The cult of Apple is strange. Spawned from one obsessive asshole's desire to sell what could have been free.
NOTHING TO SEE HERE. IGNORE RAMA SET.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 08:00:08 PM »
Would someone please explain why people think that demanding ransom payments via PayPal is a smart idea?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Thork

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 08:14:05 PM »
When paypal don't honour those payments ... yes it does seem rather strange someone with the academic ability to do this couldn't think that far ahead. They should have demanded bitcoin.

I think the cult of Apple is having a wobble though. I know dyed in the wool Apple fans who are losing patience and are seeing android and windows devices and wondering what the hell they are paying twice as much for. If the iPhone6 isn't any radical improvement over the iPhone5, I can see their share price tumbling.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 08:43:35 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how they did this.

From what I know of apple, sending a simple message like that across the internet is not easy.   And installing anything silently requires direct USB access to a server.

Locking it remotely is easy but a custom message?  That took skill.

If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 08:44:39 PM »
Are you considering a career in cyber crime?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 08:50:25 PM »
Are you considering a career in cyber crime?
No, but I've become the unofficial apple guy.  I setup an apple MDM server (on a 6 year old laptop) and I've got to manage ipads with software costing around $218 per license.  So it benefits me to know how they do this stuff so I can (hopefully) avoid it happening to us.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Thork

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 08:53:19 PM »
Might I enquire what software for iPad costs £218 per license?
Even Office 360 is only $99. What the hell app is that?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 08:55:02 PM »

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/proloquo2go/id308368164?mt=8

Proloquo2go

It's for kids who can't speak.  All it does is show them pictures.  They click the pictures to form sentences which are then spoken.

Thork

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 09:10:45 PM »

Proloquo2go

It's for kids who can't speak.  All it does is show them pictures.  They click the pictures to form sentences which are then spoken.
That is fucking disgusting.

How the hell do those guys sleep at night, charging that much for an app that simple. An app for kids! I'm going to have a word with my boss. I'm sure we could bring something to market for $0.99.

$218 for that! The art is crap, the interface looks clunky. I could write that in about 5 days if I had the assets. And I'm sure they weren't very expensive either. $218! I'm appalled.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 09:14:46 PM »

Proloquo2go

How the hell do those guys sleep at night, charging that much for an app that simple. An app for kids! I'm going to have a word with my boss. I'm sure we could bring something to market for $0.99.

$218 for that! The art is crap, the interface looks clunky. I could write that in about 5 days if I had the assets. And I'm sure they weren't very expensive either. $218! I'm appalled.
But because it's for children to speak (and it's one of the few I think) they can charge an arm and a leg.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 09:16:20 PM »

Those are very similar prices, once you account for the exchange rate between GBP and USD.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Thork

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 09:20:26 PM »

Those are very similar prices, once you account for the exchange rate between GBP and USD.
No. They aren't.

@Lord Dave. They say they have 75,000 users! That app hasn't cost $16m to develop, yet their revenue exceeds this. This makes me feel sick. I feel bad when I charge a faceless corporation £700/day for making some boring arse app about their boring arse product.

AssistiveWare exploits kiddies
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 09:38:42 PM »

Proloquo2go

I second this. You could write this app after reading 1/4 of "App Development For Dummies".

Thork

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 09:42:46 PM »
I'm gonna ask my boss about crowd sourcing it. For $300,000 we could write something that would blow that out of the water.
For $0.99 we'd only need 30,000 users to break even.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »

No. They aren't.

Yes, they are, and they're both obscenely overpriced.

I'm gonna ask my boss about crowd sourcing it. For $300,000 we could write something that would blow that out of the water.

I think you need a new calculator.

Thork

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 09:44:26 PM »

No. They aren't.

Yes, they are, and they're both obscenely overpriced.
You think £218 is equivalent to $99?

Ok, will you swap me £21,800GBP for $12,000USD then? Sounds like a good deal huh?

Thork

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 09:45:25 PM »

I think you need a new calculator.
Mmmm. Ok, well $9.99. Its still a hell of an improvement over $220.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 09:45:37 PM »
You think £218 is equivalent to $99?

Oh, my mistake. I read the currencies backwards.