Flat Earth Satellites
« on: January 08, 2020, 05:23:50 PM »
If the Earth is flat, how can a G.P.S. satellite stay afloat?  Or the I.S.S., for that matter?

Offline iamcpc

• View Profile
Re: Flat Earth Satellites
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 06:32:08 PM »
If the Earth is flat, how can a G.P.S. satellite stay afloat?  Or the I.S.S., for that matter?

There are several different FE models so there are many ways to answer this question so i'll just give a few

-there is no such thing as a satellite
-They are attached to the dome
-they are high altitude balloons
-they are orbiting earth in outer space because of gravity
-they are just planes or other high altitude mechanical devices sending out their signals

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 03:42:44 PM »

There are several different FE models so there are many ways to answer this question so i'll just give a few

-there is no such thing as a satellite
-They are attached to the dome
-they are high altitude balloons
-they are orbiting earth in outer space because of gravity
-they are just planes or other high altitude mechanical devices sending out their signals
Asking the people that build and operate GPS would be a good start.

Offline BillO

• Huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 01:48:48 AM »
What if the conspiracy that regards the entire space community being NASA shills is true, or that you truly believe it is true.  What then would be the point of asking the conspirators?
Here a quack, there a quack, everywhere a quack quack.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 07:44:45 PM »
What if the conspiracy that regards the entire space community being NASA shills is true, or that you truly believe it is true.  What then would be the point of asking the conspirators?
Bit surprising that GPS works exactly as documented.

Offline BillO

• Huh?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 11:48:50 PM »
Bit surprising that GPS works exactly as documented.
No, not really ... perhaps you missed my point.
Here a quack, there a quack, everywhere a quack quack.

Offline Groit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 06:46:37 PM »
All satellites are put into orbit using Newton's laws of motion, which only works with a spherical Earth. The orbital period is proportional to radius from the centre of the Earth, and knowing that the Earth's radius is 6,370 km we can determine the altitude of the satellite. GPS satellites orbit the Earth twice a day and are at an altitude of about 20,000 km, geostationary satellites which orbit the Earth every 24 hours and so appear to be stationary, are at an altitude of about 36,000 km.

Without Newton's laws of motion/gravity there would be no GPS systems, no Hubble space telescope, no weather satellites, no sky/satellite tv and no internet, therefore this chat forum wouldn't even exist.  ;)