Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker
« on: December 20, 2019, 06:33:00 AM »
edit - Saddam started the unhidden spoiler train so there are spoilers below.

Before Saddam repeats the complaints he read about the movie as if they were his own opinion, I am here to tell you it is worth a watch.

If you were butthurt over Episode VIII, you will probably still be butthurt, but this one at least isn't like that one (even though that one was actually fine tbh).

This one is a nice predictable mashup of Episodes I through VIII all rolled into one. It has everything: lore / nostalgia / fan service, a little bit of originality, but it all comes back home at the end of the day. There really isn't a whole lot more than that. How many ways can you really tell stories about ships blowing up shit and people fighting with laser swords amirite?

But Rotten Tomatoes has a bad "critic" score and a really good audience score. That means 420.69% of the time it is an enjoyable thing to watch.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 02:28:37 PM by junker »

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
Re: Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 06:59:52 AM »
My problem with 8 was how they go on some wild goose chase to turn off a tracking beacon or something so they can escape from the Empire (which was a huge chunk of the film) and then pink hair just decides to peace into the star destroyer at light speed anyway. Kylo Ren meanwhile hasn't left the My Chemical Romance stage of his teenage years, making him one of the most pathetic villains I've ever seen. Even as a copy/paste trilogy it's still entertaining overall, and I'm definitely going to see 9, but I'm not expecting much. All of the SJW critics seemed to have hated it though, so I'll probably end up liking it.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 07:06:15 AM by Fortuna »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 11:38:53 AM »
My problem with 8 was how they go on some wild goose chase to turn off a tracking beacon or something so they can escape from the Empire (which was a huge chunk of the film) and then pink hair just decides to peace into the star destroyer at light speed anyway. Kylo Ren meanwhile hasn't left the My Chemical Romance stage of his teenage years, making him one of the most pathetic villains I've ever seen. Even as a copy/paste trilogy it's still entertaining overall, and I'm definitely going to see 9, but I'm not expecting much. All of the SJW critics seemed to have hated it though, so I'll probably end up liking it.
My exact issue with 8 as well.  (Except maybe Kylo.  Him and Rey were good with their 'equal but opposites' views.)
I personally would have made the tracker/ships out of fuel into an isolated "we have a spy on board", which would allow for expected secrecy (cause why keep their plan secret if you aren't worried about a spy?) And keep the B plot intense with 'whose the spy'?

But no, they went on a pointless run through some rich town and pushed the "Just because you profit from war, doesn't mean you're all evil empire lovers."

That being said, I want to see 9 but after reading the plot leaks and that they are true, I'm not excited for it.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 11:44:23 AM »
Yeah the critic scores didn’t worry me in the slightest considering The Last Jedi was very highly rated and that movie was not great.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 11:31:25 PM »
Before Saddam repeats the complaints he read about the movie as if they were his own opinion

Wow, you suck. I'm going to see the movie later, and I will share MY OWN OPINIONS.

This one is a nice predictable mashup of Episodes I through VIII all rolled into one.

Oh, great, because these movies haven't already had more than enough of repeating and rehashing familiar characters, locations, and plot beats by now. I was actually beginning to think that so far the movies were simply too original. It's a good thing that a bold, risky director like Abrams decided to loosen up and offer us some nostalgia for once.

I have now seen it, and I will offer my opinions. I will not be using spoiler warnings in a dedicated thread like this one, so consider this your warning. Also, I haven't read any reviews yet and only know that this movie has had a mixed reception so far, so this is genuinely my take and not necessarily anyone else's:

It's not very good.

It is Abrams at his Abramsiest. The desperation in this movie to walk back the more controversial elements of TLJ is palpable, and at times reeks of cowardice. Rose is pushed to the sidelines and given only a minute or so of screen time, as if she's Jar Jar Binks. The revelation that Rey's parents weren't at all extraordinary or significant is blatantly retconned in favor of a familiar, hamfisted "I am your father" reveal. Carrie Fisher is in the movie, despite being dead, and her lines (cobbled together from the previous movies' deleted scenes) are so awkward that they should have just left her out entirely. Worst of all is the decision to resurrect Palpatine and let him hijack the main conflict of the movie. He's the main villain now, along with the enormous fleet he pulled out of his ass. Jesus, I remember some of us making jokes about how these movies would resurrect Palpatine before even TFA came out! The dynamic between Rey and Kylo Ren is engaging, but that's mostly carried on the backs of Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver, as it's impossible to ignore that the movie has forced Kylo into a more Vader-like role, complete with eventual Vader-like redemption, to further distance itself from TLJ and be more like the original trilogy.

When TLJ came out, people accused Rian Johnson of deliberately dismissing ongoing plot points he didn't care for from TFA. But that's not entirely true. The points in question were followed up on, just not in a way that Abrams would have done it or that many people were expecting. The question of Rey's parentage was important, not because her parents were especially extraordinary or significant, but because they weren't. It almost "democratized" the idea of the Force, showing that you don't need to be a chosen one or part of a special select bloodline to be a Jedi. And Snoke wasn't simply cut from the movie without any fanfare; his character played an important role in bringing Kylo and Rey together and leading them to their respective arcs. He just didn't end up being the "Palpatine" of the sequel trilogy. But what Abrams has done really does amount to simply dismissing, ignoring, or retconning certain key details of TLJ, and it doesn't even feel as though he's doing this to suit his own artistic vision, but to cater to a very specific subsection of SW fans who are more interested in nostalgia, fanservice, and cool action scenes than good writing and original stories.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 05:16:54 PM by honk »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 01:57:52 AM »
This is exactly the kind of the over the top, hyperbolic rhetoric I was hoping for from Saddam.

Also RJ did dismiss ongoing plot points.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 06:23:34 AM »
Very compellingly argued. I'm convinced. Oh yeah, and I meant to say that the fake-out with Chewbacca was complete bullshit and if Abrams had any balls he'd have kept him dead. When I saw that ship explode I was amazed. What a great, tragic way for Rey to learn how dangerous the Force could be, and the responsibility that being a Jedi demands! But no, we have to bring him back because Chewbacca is just too marketable of a character to get rid of, and unlike the human characters, he's really easy to recast, so we can basically keep him forever!

And if you thought my review was hyperbolic, let's just wait to see how Ghost Spaghetti felt about this movie.

Rama Set

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 07:02:45 AM »
This is exactly the kind of the over the top, hyperbolic rhetoric I was hoping for from Saddam.

Also RJ did dismiss ongoing plot points.

JJ is a COWARD!!!

I liked it. It was clunky and awkward in places but had a lot of heart and fun in others. Some amazing visuals and I think that despite all the plot flaws, this trilogy had the best conception of Jedi of any of the movies.

Rama Set

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 07:07:33 AM »
Very compellingly argued. I'm convinced. Oh yeah, and I meant to say that the fake-out with Chewbacca was complete bullshit and if Abrams had any balls he'd have kept him dead. When I saw that ship explode I was amazed. What a great, tragic way for Rey to learn how dangerous the Force could be, and the responsibility that being a Jedi demands! But no, we have to bring him back because Chewbacca is just too marketable of a character to get rid of, and unlike the human characters, he's really easy to recast, so we can basically keep him forever!

And if you thought my review was hyperbolic, let's just wait to see how Ghost Spaghetti felt about this movie.

Tbf I totally agree with the Chewbacca fake out. That was a phenomenal scene that totally got undermined.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 02:30:53 PM »
I too felt bamboozled with Chewie.

Also what did Finn need to tell Rey? He started while they were sinking in quicksand which would've been fine to end there but they had Poe bring back up and there wasn't any resolution.

I assume he's either in love with her or wanted to tell her he is sensitive to the force.

Rama Set

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 05:21:58 PM »
Boyega tweeted out pretty much confirming it’s the latter.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 06:45:35 PM »
Boyega tweeted out pretty much confirming it’s the latter.

Ah okay. I've literally not looked at a single thing about the movie other than a quick glance at the RT scores

Rama Set

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 08:39:36 PM »
I went on the Star Wars Reddit after I watched and learned a lot.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2019, 04:04:03 AM »
Sounds about right for Abrams - include a ton of shit that isn't properly explained in the movie and yet is important to the movie, and we're expected to just read all the tie-in novels and comics and whatever to understand it all. There's probably an explanation buried in there too about how Palpatine survived RotJ and spent many years building an enormous fleet and army with cutting-edge technology all in perfect secrecy.

Rama Set

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2019, 04:40:53 AM »
Sounds about right for Abrams - include a ton of shit that isn't properly explained in the movie and yet is important to the movie, and we're expected to just read all the tie-in novels and comics and whatever to understand it all. There's probably an explanation buried in there too about how Palpatine survived RotJ and spent many years building an enormous fleet and army with cutting-edge technology all in perfect secrecy.
Well he did it on a planet that is impossible to get to without a wayfinder, so that doesn’t need too much explanation.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 11:39:27 AM »
Well he did it on a planet that is impossible to get to without a wayfinder, so that doesn’t need too much explanation.

It kinda does.
You still need to import raw materials, parts, fuel, crew, etc....  And that takes alot of people with wayfinders.
Or way too much time.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Rama Set

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2019, 04:44:12 PM »

It kinda does.
You still need to import raw materials, parts, fuel, crew, etc....  And that takes alot of people with wayfinders.
Or way too much time.

The materials could be nearby and once the people get JT here, they never leave. It’s really not a big problem. If you think you need that explicitly said, then that’s cool. It’s a system that is in an unexplored part of the galaxy. It stands to reason that there is more of the galaxy that is unexplored too. Operating there in secrecy when it’s not explored should not be difficult.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2019, 10:09:15 AM »
As we saw in the prequels, Palpatine was a master of deception. Him returning was my favorite part of this trilogy, and I wish he’d been the primary villain all along, not the completely irrelevant Snoke. Palpatine 2 should have been revealed in Episode 8 with some explanation as to how he survived Return of the Jedi (or how his DNA was captured for the cloning) and how he built the Final Order. Then, Episode 9 wouldn’t have needed so much deus ex machina bullshit to close this very poorly written trilogy.

Anyway, the next trilogy should be set in the Old Republic era.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 10:27:58 AM by Fortuna »

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2019, 06:11:24 AM »
The movie wasn't good, but I've decided to like it just to spite sadaam.
The Mastery.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2019, 08:20:24 PM »
Oh, and you know another thing that was bullshit? That gay kiss at the end of the movie between a couple of extras that idiots online that are now lauding as so wonderfully historic and progressive of Disney. Fuck off with that noise. It's a second-long moment that was clearly tailor-made to be conveniently snipped by those countries and broadcasters that frown on homosexuality. As much as I hate to use this term, it really is a perfect example of virtue signaling - pretending that they care about gay rights while quietly providing anti-gay institutions the means to easily censor the offending moments. If Disney really wants to make a stand for gay rights and give them some representation and everything, they should have actual major characters who are gay and doing gay things in a way that can't easily be censored, and take the loss when countries like China refuse to show the movie. And if maximizing their profits outweighs their progressive ideals, then they should stop pretending they give a shit to begin with.