New Phone or Fix old one- advice request
« on: November 15, 2018, 08:42:26 PM »
So, here's the situation.My phone, an HTC One M9 is 3 and a half years old.  In the last few months, it's been shutting off suddenly.  Battery indicator is anywhere between 45% and 91% (average is about 70%) when it happens.  I'm pretty sure it's the battery and even a factory wipe didn't help.  My attempts to recalibrate the battery did not help.  When I charge it back up so it can boot, it reads the % that it was at when it lost power, unless I let it try to boot then power off a few times. (ie. I try to reboot it, watch it get into the process, then die) only the will it realize it's at 0%.  But even a full charge does nothing to help it.

So it's been shutting off randomly alot.  To the point where I've lost data because of it.  (nothing big, but things like bookmarks, settings, etc..)

So I have 2 options.1. Replace the battery.  That's 500Nok. (like $70)2. Get a new phone on a payment plan. (an additional $37 a month for 2 years)
My biggest unknown is: "How much damage does random poweroffs do to the other systems of a phone?"  Like, has it damaged the cpu or ram and I'll only have problems down the line?

What do you all think?

Offline junker

• Planar Moderator
  • Boom
    • View Profile
Re: New Phone or Fix old one- advice request
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 09:01:45 PM »
There likely won't be damage.

If you don't need any newer features, then replace the battery. If you want the new hotness, get a new phone. Actually get a new battery and a new phone, keep the M9 as a backup.
Please make sure to check out these resources to ensure that your time at tfes.org is enjoyable and productive.

1. The Rules

2. The FAQ

3. The Wiki

You're doing God's work, junker.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕‿◕✿)
    • View Profile
    • The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 09:38:16 PM »
Concur with junker - damage is unlikely (you'd probably already be able to tell).

The biggest risk I can see is the potentiality of misdiagnosis - that is, if it's not the battery that's the problem, you might be wasting $70.

It honestly sounds like you've diagnosed it accurately, so I'd say the risk is minimal, but of course it's worth keeping in mind.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we've already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Facebook and Twitter!

*mic stays stationary and earth accelerates upwards towards it*

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 09:57:55 AM »
Thanks you two.  I'm gonna take Junker's advice and get a new phone.  We wanna swap carriers anyway and said carrier has a 50% off first 3 months (of the phone bill) and even then its cheaper.

So I'm getting this:
https://consumer.huawei.com/en/phones/p20-pro/

Huawei p20 pro.  Its a good phone for the price and its very common despite the risk of China spying on me.

Then, once I get the funds, I'll spend the $30 to get a battery and tool kit.