Wu Experiment vs. Bedford Level Experiment
« on: May 23, 2018, 04:56:26 PM »
It was usually assumed that a perfect reflection of a system would have the same outcome. It's called P-symmetry, and it was accepted as fact for a while.

In 1956, the Wu experiment overturned this notion. Despite its near-maximal rejection of P-symmetry, the results were heavily doubted and it wasn't until a year later when it was repeated many times by many others that it was actually accepted.

And yet the Bedford level experiment, which has been criticized for not accounting for a well-understood effect, has been reproduced with contradictory results, and has only been reproduced affirmatively by one other, is supposed to irrefutably prove the world is flat? I think not.
Recommended reading: We Have No Idea by Jorge Cham and Daniel Whiteson

Turtle Town, a game made by my brothers and their friends, is now in private beta for the demo! Feedback so far has been mostly positive. Contact me if you would like to play.

Offline hexagon

• View Profile
Re: Wu Experiment vs. Bedford Level Experiment
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 05:58:31 PM »
You mean the parity violation for the weak interaction? But where is the connection to this Bedford experiment? Parity violation is a fundamental question in physics, the other thing is a simple observation that has only relevance for discussion in the flat-earth bubble.

Nevertheless, of course physics is not a straight forward thing. Experiments are not always crystal clear and under heavy debate. Same for theories. It´s quite natural if you exploring the unknown...   

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 06:05:02 PM »
Yes, it was about P-asymmetry. The point I was making is that the experiment was subject to much more scientific scrutiny than the Bedford one, even though the shape of the world is even more basic.
Recommended reading: We Have No Idea by Jorge Cham and Daniel Whiteson

Turtle Town, a game made by my brothers and their friends, is now in private beta for the demo! Feedback so far has been mostly positive. Contact me if you would like to play.

Offline hexagon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 06:12:37 PM »
But the experimental challenge to prove parity violation is much higher than to prove the shape of the earth. The later one can be clarified by more or less simple observations everyone can do by himself. The whole discussion is completely artificial and practically non-existing outside this flat-earth bubble.