Offline kasa

• View Profile
What is the approximate diameter of the Earth, assuming it is in the flat disk shape? And how thick are the ice walls?

Offline Parallax

• Disciple of Dr Rowbotham
    • View Profile
What is the approximate diameter of the Earth, assuming it is in the flat disk shape? And how thick are the ice walls?
The ice walls extend for hundreds of miles. And as the ice wall is part of the earth, we can't know the diameter for definite.

Devils Advocate

The ice walls extend for hundreds of miles. And as the ice wall is part of the earth, we can't know the diameter for definite.

Although parallax IS a troll and cannot back up these claims with ANY evidence. Just a thought to bear in mind....

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Although parallax IS a troll and cannot back up these claims with ANY evidence. Just a thought to bear in mind....

As far as I see he is referring you to Earth Not a Globe for most of what he says. Why not read it if you are so curious about what Rowbotham bases his conclusions on?

Devils Advocate

As far as I see he is referring you to Earth Not a Globe for most of what he says. Why not read it if you are so curious about what Rowbotham bases his conclusions on?

I have read it! It's as compelling as evidence as the religious texts of the last few millennia. Science, and life have moved on! Catch up Tom before you get left behind....

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile

I have read it! It's as compelling as evidence as the religious texts of the last few millennia. Science, and life have moved on! Catch up Tom before you get left behind....

Why are you posting here if you don't believe any of it and don't want to contribute?

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
Probably because he's the troll.

Shame science can't disprove God. For all that it tries to.

Offline StinkyOne

• View Profile
Why are you posting here if you don't believe any of it and don't want to contribute?

His name sort of says it all, Tom. Most of us long term REers are here to refute the flat Earth lie. I'd be willing to bet that a fair number of us also enjoy the debate. It's a good excuse to research things we would never have reason to otherwise.
I saw a video where a pilot was flying above the sun.
-Terry50

Devils Advocate

His name sort of says it all, Tom. Most of us long term REers are here to refute the flat Earth lie. I'd be willing to bet that a fair number of us also enjoy the debate. It's a good excuse to research things we would never have reason to otherwise.

Spot on. I came here with an open mind and a desire to learn. After some 300 posts the realisation hit me that that maybe all you flat earthers might be trolls just seeing how far you could push your joke.
After 3DGeek destroyed your theories I hoped you would fight back with evidence but you didn't so I deleted my account.
Since then the "movement/wind up" has continued to get exposure on social media and in the end I just couldn't resist coming back. This time I'm certain you're all having a laugh but now I focus on the RE posts as they have substance. My comments to the FE alts are from a pseudo/psychological perspective rather than a physics approach.
Hope this clarifies.
Devils Advocate

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
I'm curious as to why people think we are trolling? Why is it so difficult for people to accept that there are those of us who believe in a flat earth? Is it because we are not part of the social norm? That we don't believe what is 'true'? I would say that its the people who come here constantly disrespecting Dr Rowbotham and trying to 'prove' earth is round she calling us flat earthers 'trolls', that are the ones most representative of that which they call us.

Devils Advocate

Re: What is the diameter/radius of the Earth? How wide is it, essentially?
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 09:25:01 PM »
I'm curious as to why people think we are trolling? Why is it so difficult for people to accept that there are those of us who believe in a flat earth? Is it because we are not part of the social norm? That we don't believe what is 'true'? I would say that its the people who come here constantly disrespecting Dr Rowbotham and trying to 'prove' earth is round she calling us flat earthers 'trolls', that are the ones most representative of that which they call us.

Now that Parallax sounds like a great thread to discuss! I guess if we talk here Junker will tell us off so its best to start a new thread and I humbly request that you start it as it is a FE question.

Please do start it and I'm sure you will get lots of answers.

PS I should add that Troll is not (in my opinion) an insult here, I merely mean it as someone having fun with this forum pretending to believe in this theory for amusement which is not a "bad" thing, I'm not seeking to oiffend anyone  :D

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2018, 09:48:54 PM »

Now that Parallax sounds like a great thread to discuss! I guess if we talk here Junker will tell us off so its best to start a new thread and I humbly request that you start it as it is a FE question.

Please do start it and I'm sure you will get lots of answers.

PS I should add that Troll is not (in my opinion) an insult here, I merely mean it as someone having fun with this forum pretending to believe in this theory for amusement which is not a "bad" thing, I'm not seeking to oiffend anyone  :D
Well allaround the world seems to just brand everyone a troll because he can't get his head around the fact there are people that believe in the earth being flat. I honestly have better things to do with my time than troll, I believe the earth is flat and come here to discuss it. I've never trolled here once.

Devils Advocate

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 09:55:19 PM »
Well I guess it's so hard for me to believe because of the mass of mutually supporting evidence for RE versus.... Rowbotham? YouTube vids? FE groups posting memes "proving" flat earth because otherwise surfers in south Africa would be upsidedown..... Seriously?!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 10:13:50 PM by Devils Advocate »

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 10:08:08 PM »
I find it hard to believe people would think earth is hollow, yet there are people who believe it. I don't brand them trolls or try to make out like they are crackpots though, because they are entitled to their (incorrect) beliefs.

Devils Advocate

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 10:18:29 PM »
I find it hard to believe people would think earth is hollow, yet there are people who believe it. I don't brand them trolls or try to make out like they are crackpots though, because they are entitled to their (incorrect) beliefs

Why are we "entitled" to incorrect beliefs? If I chose to believe that grass was made of beef and thus all cows were cannibals would you defend my right to believe that? I hope not because it would be ridiculous! Facts are facts and our opinions don't change them!

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2018, 10:32:01 PM »
I find it hard to believe people would think earth is hollow, yet there are people who believe it. I don't brand them trolls or try to make out like they are crackpots though, because they are entitled to their (incorrect) beliefs

Why are we "entitled" to incorrect beliefs? If I chose to believe that grass was made of beef and thus all cows were cannibals would you defend my right to believe that? I hope not because it would be ridiculous! Facts are facts and our opinions don't change them!
Because nobody can tell you what to believe, that's why we are 'entitled'. People choose to research things and come to their own conclusions, it's not for someone else to tell them they should believe their opinions instead, and brand them trolls if they don't.

Devils Advocate

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2018, 10:55:54 PM »

Why are we "entitled" to incorrect beliefs? If I chose to believe that grass was made of beef and thpoint,l cows were cannibals would you defend my right to believe that? I hope not because it would be ridiculous! Facts are facts and our opinions don't change them!
Because nobody can tell you what to believe, that's why we are 'entitled'. People choose to research things and come to their own conclusions, it's not for someone else to tell them they should believe their opinions instead, and brand them trolls if they don't

Fair point, however much as you are entitled to believe anything at some point the evidence should come into play. If you interpret it incorrectly its in your interests to be made aware of it

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 08:38:42 AM »

Because nobody can tell you what to believe, that's why we are 'entitled'. People choose to research things and come to their own conclusions, it's not for someone else to tell them they should believe their opinions instead, and brand them trolls if they don't.

There is a difference between, say, believing that The Spice Girls are the greatest musical group in history and believing that the earth is flat.
It may be your opinion about the Spice Girls, I may disagree, we can discuss it but we both are entitled to an opinion about that. It is subjective.

The shape of the earth is not subjective, it is not a matter of opinion. It is what it is.
As a species we figured out that the earth is a globe thousands of years ago.
Generation after generation of scientists have reaffirmed this. We have a coherent model which matches and explains observations.
There are some debates in science, this is not one of them.

And in the last century we finally had the technology to see it for ourselves.
We now have loads of satellites in space which can take photos of the earth. We have GPS and satellite TV which demonstrably works.
We have sent quite a lot of people in space who have seen the earth as it is for themselves.
High altitude pilots can also observe the curve.

As Ricky Gervais laments in his Humanity show, it used to be "my opinion is as good as your opinion", now it seems to be "my opinion is as good as your fact".
This is obviously not true. The earth is a globe. That is not my opinion. Yes, you are entitled to a different opinion just like you're free to believe in fairies at the bottom of your garden and that the moon is made of cheese, but you ARE wrong and have been proven wrong.
If you want to put your fingers in your ears and go "la la la, can't hear you" and ignore the mountain of evidence proving you wrong then there's nothing I can do about that, but don't go around pretending that this is just a matter of opinion and that all opinions about this are equally valid.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 09:11:23 AM by AllAroundTheWorld »
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Parallax

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2018, 01:21:57 PM »
So devils advocate was quite reasonable in his responses yet once again allaroundtheworld has to be a condescending prick about the whole thing. I think I'm just going to ignore anything from this troll from now on.

Morgenstund

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2018, 07:12:34 PM »

I assume you're talking about this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford_Level_experiment
Conclusions based on 180 years old experiments, recognized as flawed, corrected two years later (that is one (1) year after the coronation of Queen Victoria) and utterly, utterly debunked not only by modern science, but also by the ancient Greek. Why do you believe that Rowbotham was right?