Offline Ratboy

• View Profile
Totallackey and I had an exchange a bit ago about believing in things just in case they are real.  The example was how do we know every person has a heart?  A good Zetetic researcher would not believe that some place on earth exists where there are different lengths of daylight and night just because it could happen.  The 21 countries I have been to help confirm that equal light and dark is a thing.  Totallackey stated that there might be other places without any indication that they might exist.  That is not good Zetetic thinking.

It should not be surprising that humanity would settle in places offering "equality," in terms of seasonal exposure to harsh elements or even choose predominantly favorable conditions. So most every place on the Earth maintaining year long habitation over the history of humanity should experience roughly the same environmental conditions.

Further South of these points however is a different story...

"The Royal Belgian Geographical Society in their “Expedition Antarctique Belge,” recorded that during the most severe part of the Antarctic winter, from 71 degrees South latitude onwards, the sun sets on May 17th and is not seen above the horizon again until July 21st!" - 200 Proofs Earth is Not a Spinning Ball

"At places of comparable latitude North and South, the Sun behaves very differently than it would on a spinning ball Earth but precisely how it should on a flat Earth. For example, the longest summer days North of the equator are much longer than those South of the equator, and the shortest winter days North of the equator are much shorter than the shortest South of the equator. This is inexplicable on a uniformly spinning, wobbling ball Earth but fits exactly on the flat model with the Sun traveling circles over and around the Earth from Tropic to Tropic." - 200 Proofs Earth is Not a Spinning Ball

Right now for instance, I am at 41 degrees north of the Equator and will experience just over 11 hours of sunlight.

Birmingham, Alabama, also at 33 degrees (North, however), will also experience nearly 12 hours of daylight.

Seems the latitudes in the northern regions do experience quite a bit more of sunlight.
A location at 41 degrees South of the equator is getting just over 13 hours of daylight. That alone appears to blow your idea out of the water. We have someone right here who lives in Australia saying their summer days are longer than winter. Just like in the North. Just like would happen on a tilted globe Earth. Your premise appears false from the start.

Offline Westprog

• View Profile
It should not be surprising that humanity would settle in places offering "equality," in terms of seasonal exposure to harsh elements or even choose predominantly favorable conditions. So most every place on the Earth maintaining year long habitation over the history of humanity should experience roughly the same environmental conditions.

"The Royal Belgian Geographical Society in their “Expedition Antarctique Belge,” recorded that during the most severe part of the Antarctic winter, from 71 degrees South latitude onwards, the sun sets on May 17th and is not seen above the horizon again until July 21st!" - 200 Proofs Earth is Not a Spinning Ball

"At places of comparable latitude North and South, the Sun behaves very differently than it would on a spinning ball Earth but precisely how it should on a flat Earth. For example, the longest summer days North of the equator are much longer than those South of the equator, and the shortest winter days North of the equator are much shorter than the shortest South of the equator. This is inexplicable on a uniformly spinning, wobbling ball Earth but fits exactly on the flat model with the Sun traveling circles over and around the Earth from Tropic to Tropic." - 200 Proofs Earth is Not a Spinning Ball

Right now for instance, I am at 41 degrees north of the Equator and will experience just over 11 hours of sunlight.

Birmingham, Alabama, also at 33 degrees (North, however), will also experience nearly 12 hours of daylight.

Seems the latitudes in the northern regions do experience quite a bit more of sunlight.
A location at 41 degrees South of the equator is getting just over 13 hours of daylight. That alone appears to blow your idea out of the water. We have someone right here who lives in Australia saying their summer days are longer than winter. Just like in the North. Just like would happen on a tilted globe Earth. Your premise appears false from the start.

When there are literally billions of people on Earth, all able to confirm the symmetry between the Southern and Northern hemispheres, trying to pretend that there's any difference between North and South - an essential element of the current flat Earth theory.

It would be quite easy for flat Earth groups the same distance North and South of the Equator to coordinate a comparison of sunrise and sunset around the year, and to show any difference, if such exists. Don't look for it any time soon.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Yes, in order to accurately represent RE beliefs, the Earth would have to be round, and not flat. What are you hoping to accomplish by stating this?

Just a quick clarification to your note. Round Earth is not so much a belief but a fact.

Flat Earth is a belief       (whose portion of belief system, per Wiki, is the belief that space travel, I.e. from NASA, was or is part of an elaborate hoax)

The belief in this hoax includes all composite pictures taken from space that cannot be true, on-board cameras mounted to external tank of space shuttle showing real-time launch tracking and a clear curvature of Earth as a hoax, continuous live-streaming from the ISS in an Earth's orbit showing the curvature of the Earth as a hoax, and so-called astronauts such as John Glenn, John Young, Robert Crippen, Eugene Cernan, Sally Ride, etc.. that have reported a Round Earth with their own eyes but are part of the hoax and are lying, etc..etc..

I think OPEO is communicating to a FE something that he/she has observed first hand (I.e. long hot seasons in Australia that are fact and not a belief) and then trying to engage in a debate as to how this could be possible in a FE model.

I suspect his/her hope is that FE believers, like yourself, don't try to side-step or side-track the question with meaningless "I know you are but what am I" type questions.
Fantastic, you think the earth is round. Maybe try sticking to the topic, and keep off-topic rants in the proper forum. Warned.

Yes, in order to accurately represent RE beliefs, the Earth would have to be round, and not flat. What are you hoping to accomplish by stating this?

I think you left out the bit that said "in order to accurately represent RE beliefs and observed reality...".
You are adding nothing to the thread with this. Shitpost elsewhere. Warned.

Offline Opeo

• View Profile

This is actually proof the Earth is round. Regardless of what "200 Proofs" says, the arctic also experiences this for the exact same amount of time. A polar night at a location around 71 degrees North (North Cape, Norway) lasts from November 20th to January 22, 9 weeks just like your example. For another eyewitness example, see Ratboy's post. This evidence speaks to the perfect symmetry between North and South

This doesn't mean anything and doesn't provide any evidence. It's also just demonstrably false. The longest summer day North of the equator would be the polar day at the North Pole, which lasts from the Vernal Equinox to the Autumnal Equinox, which matches up *exactly* with polar night at 90 degrees South, and vice versa. There's never been a single case in human history where we've found the length of day and nights across seasons of two locations on opposite latitudes didn't match up.

Good news, friend. Tasmania lies on the 41st parallel South. Let's look at the day and night length of Launceston. https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/australia/launceston

Sunrise: 6:50 AM
Sunset: 7:56 PM

That's 13 hours of day length, so that checks out. Timeanddate also lets you see historical data so we can check out August 30th, 182 days from now (22 days before the Autumnal Equinox).

Sunrise: 6:40 AM
Sunset: 5:44 PM
Total day length: 11:04

Well there it is.
"It's easier to fool people that to convince them that they have been fooled ;^)" — Marcus Aurelius, 180 A.D.

Offline Opeo

• View Profile
Sorry to double post but do any FE believers have anything else to add to this discussion? From our side this seems to be pretty hard evidence against the most popular FE model that can be seen easily by laymen. It'd be great to hear the other side of the argument. As it stands it looks like at least a new FE model is needed that accurately represents the length of days around (or across) the world.
"It's easier to fool people that to convince them that they have been fooled ;^)" — Marcus Aurelius, 180 A.D.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
So what we have is a very strange phenomenon. We have, as individuals, enough personal knowledge to know that the FE model doesn't, can't work. And yet, we have many thousands of people who subscribe to it. This is what I'm interested in - the capacity of people to ignore what they can actually see, and suppress their own reason.
I'm also fascinated by this.
I read a good book ("Black Box Thinking") which talks a lot with Cognitive Dissonance.
There's a lot of this going on here with people who have wrapped themselves up so tightly with a FE belief.
Quite a large slice of confirmation bias too.
It is interesting how people can claim to be basing their beliefs on empirical observations when their model so clearly fails to conform to observations around the globe.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Westprog

• View Profile
So what we have is a very strange phenomenon. We have, as individuals, enough personal knowledge to know that the FE model doesn't, can't work. And yet, we have many thousands of people who subscribe to it. This is what I'm interested in - the capacity of people to ignore what they can actually see, and suppress their own reason.
I'm also fascinated by this.
I read a good book ("Black Box Thinking") which talks a lot with Cognitive Dissonance.
There's a lot of this going on here with people who have wrapped themselves up so tightly with a FE belief.
Quite a large slice of confirmation bias too.
It is interesting how people can claim to be basing their beliefs on empirical observations when their model so clearly fails to conform to observations around the globe.

We can see it even in this thread. It's possible to actually talk to people in real time in Tasmania, and look at their webcams and see what's happening at sunset and sunrise. Somehow, the FE proponents know enough not to do this. Even though there are probably FES members in the Southern Hemisphere, the idea of a big experiment to Finally! Prove! The Flat Earth! by showing that sunset and sunrise are asymmetrical between the hemispheres.  No such research will ever take place, because of that nagging feeling in the back of their minds that somehow it wouldn't work out. They know that any experiments they might carry out will be thwarted by the Illuminati infiltrating Tasmanian FES. (And apparently, there are Tasmanian flat Earthers).

So instead, they'll try to find some antique document with some inaccurate measurements that can be misinterpreted.

wRadion

Yea great you're smart and all... but you didn't even answer the actual question.

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
I've lurked these forums for a while and crawled through the wiki, but I've never seen this pretty obvious question addressed.

Today in Sydney the sun will rise at 6:38 AM and set at 7:38 PM. The source is https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/australia/sydney and if that were drastically wrong I'm sure one of the 24 million Australians would have noticed by now.

However, every seasonal diagram shown on the wiki looks like this:

Notice in the south they seem to only be getting at most 8h days despite the Sun being over the equator. In order to accurately recreate the info on Time and Date, the spotlight would need to look something like this:

How is this possible? How does the Sun shine around a dark spot and light up the other side in December? Especially when the given explanation for sunsets is the Sun moving too far away to see anymore.

For the record, the heliocentric model explains seasons like this:

In the RE model, the Sun always lights up half of the spheroid and seasons are determined by which pole is angled towards the Sun at a given point in the orbit.

While this guy is quite insulting to Flat Earthers the new video in the Flat Tard series is hard to argue with

https://youtu.be/1rmXP4Q2ZpI
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:33:55 AM by TomInAustin »
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?