Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
Re: Scientists Make First Detection of Neutron Star Collision
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2017, 04:58:53 PM »
To take a page from y'all... who measured that 25000 mile figure, exactly? Did Rowbotham sail from Antarctica to ... more of Antarctica ... with a tape measure? Was it Eratosthenes? No, see 3DGeek's post just now. You actually have no idea how big your flat Earth model is. Because you suck. And NASA rules. And once more, for the people in the back: the spheroidal diameter of the Earth is 8000 miles.

It's the diameter of the Earth as measured on the equator, and it also happens to be exactly the same in both FET and RET.
Who measured it in FET?  You aren't just trusting that the FET diameter should be the same as the RET diameter, are you?
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2017, 03:15:19 AM »
I'm happy for you that you managed to find a book that spells it your way. I think your action linking to Britannica speaks for itself. Regardless, it's spelled Eratosthenes. It's a translated name, so we understand some people are going to spell it one way or another, especially when referring to older sources, but there is still a most correct way to spell the name.

There is in fact one and only one way to spell Eratosthenes, for the following simple yet very compelling reason :
 in ancient Greek  most of the names had a meaning, more or less in relation with the concerned person or one of his ancestors. Now "Erathostenes" has no specific meaning (at least to my knowledge), meanwhile "Eratosthenes" can split into its two components  "Erato-sthenes", which means "strength of love" (or strengthened by love).
With such a mane, there is no wonder he was such a gifted and famous philosopher!....,
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 03:29:58 AM by Nosyfox »
Non native English speaker... I beg for your indulgence, but feel free to correct me when necessary!

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2017, 01:08:23 PM »
With such a mane, there is no wonder he was such a gifted and famous philosopher!....,

Turns out he was a lion. Makes sense now.

Maybe we can get back on topic?

Offline TomInAustin

• Round Duh
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2017, 02:47:07 PM »
That wiki page is wrong in nearly everything it says

for one, the continents are not "tens of thousands of miles away horizontally," because the Earth is about ~8000 miles across for two, the area lit by the sun is not a circle on any flat Earth model, so the wiki is here once more contradicting itself ...

Where are you getting 8000 from? The Erathostenes experiment interpreted on a Flat Earth tells us that the earth has a diameter of about 25,000 miles.

Are you using flat earth miles here?
Do you have a citation for this sweeping generalisation?