Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version)
« Reply #380 on: December 20, 2014, 03:54:16 PM »
It's like any other JRPG, you can just level up until everything is trivial, which is presumably the intended way to play.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 20, 2014, 04:05:54 PM »
It's like any other JRPG, you can just level up until everything is trivial, which is presumably the intended way to play.

Unless you're playing the bosses that are tailored for a max level character, which most JRPGs include. I imagine they keep the main story fairly easy to beat because the player might just want to play for story, rather than beating uber max bosses.

Ghost of V

« Reply #382 on: December 20, 2014, 05:19:51 PM »

Unless you're playing the bosses that are tailored for a max level character, which most JRPGs include. I imagine they keep the main story fairly easy to beat because the player might just want to play for story, rather than beating uber max bosses.

There's maybe 1 fight like that in every Pokemon game.

And yes, Pokemon's main game is aimed at children. Its post-game is aimed at an older audience though. Even as a game for children, 2 pokemon per gym leader is absurd. A retarded blind child could beat the game with ease.  Later on, the gym leaders start to get more pokemon but at that point it doesn't matter because most of them are still trashmons and the AI is terrible. If you're playing the game correctly it takes almost no effort to beat them. The only somewhat challenging battles are the Elite 4, and when I say challenging I mean challenging for children.

I'm not sure if many of you played Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, but some of the changes made in the remake are in really bad taste. Notably, some of the gym leaders have been completely redesigned in the looks department. One of my favorite gym leaders of the series has been turned into a bishonen pretty boy borderline woman.

Old design:

New design:

WHY?! Who thought this was a good idea? I think this redesign underlines some fundamental problems going on with game design in Japan right now.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 05:47:37 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 20, 2014, 05:54:46 PM »
mmmm look at dem sexy hips.

Ghost of V

« Reply #384 on: December 20, 2014, 05:59:39 PM »
mmmm look at dem sexy hips.

At least give him a bulge or something.

Made a post on /r/pokemon titled "Why did they turn Wallace into a woman?" and I've never seen so many downvotes before.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 06:39:00 PM by Vauxhall »

« Reply #385 on: December 20, 2014, 07:26:31 PM »
Yes, too easy.

But then why would you want more? :\

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 21, 2014, 02:24:05 AM »
In Kingdom Hearts BBS, you get to play as a strapping young man named Terra, who has the IQ of a donut and can't figure out when Disney villains are being blatantly evil. I mean yeah, it isn't very fair that every time he pops into a world, he meets the villain first and thusly lends a helping hand, but these guys aren't cunning masterminds, they're Disney villains who look, sound, and just act ridiculously antagonistic. I'm having trouble identifying with the character if his ultimate flaw is "he was just too stupid to know any better."

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 21, 2014, 02:24:52 AM »
I just finished Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Took 5 hours. Good game, but too short. They should have added at least 6 hours of gameplay to it.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #388 on: December 21, 2014, 03:00:08 AM »
In Kingdom Hearts BBS, you get to play as a strapping young man named Terra, who has the IQ of a donut and can't figure out when Disney villains are being blatantly evil. I mean yeah, it isn't very fair that every time he pops into a world, he meets the villain first and thusly lends a helping hand, but these guys aren't cunning masterminds, they're Disney villains who look, sound, and just act ridiculously antagonistic. I'm having trouble identifying with the character if his ultimate flaw is "he was just too stupid to know any better."

That reminds me of Crash Bandicoot 2.  Crash is so stupid he spends pretty much the whole game doing what Cortex says.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 21, 2014, 07:35:59 PM »

That reminds me of Crash Bandicoot 2.  Crash is so stupid he spends pretty much the whole game doing what Cortex says.

At least the game seems to make fun of Terra along the way. Peter Pan says "grown-ups are really good at telling fibs and you look like you're really easy to trick, be careful." When Peter-fucking-Pan is telling you in a roundabout way that "woah hey buddy, you're sort of a dumbass" then you need to rethink your life.

I'm really annoyed that the story has made both Terra and Riku just plain too dumb to figure things out on their own, especially when the people manipulating them are about as subtle as Emperor Palpatine telling Luke "yes.. yes... let the hate flow through you." Xehanort basically tells Terra "get mad!" and he gets mad.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #390 on: December 26, 2014, 02:47:23 AM »
As a Christmas gift, I've received the first Assassin's Creed game.  I haven't beaten it yet, but so far, it's just kind of okay.  To start with, I don't really like the use of this Animus machine as a framing device.  I guess it's an interesting idea insofar as it provides an in-story justification for all the little quirks inherent to video games (loading, dying, etc.), but at the same time, it feels unnecessary.  The historical setting is already great.  They didn't need to make it more complex by turning it into the Matrix or whatever.

A far bigger problem I have is the voice acting of our hero.  The historical one, not the guy hooked up to the Animus.  All hyperbole aside, I can honestly say that this is probably the worst voice acting that I have ever heard in a mainstream video game.  For one thing, he doesn't make the slightest effort to hide his American accent, in stark contrast to everyone else; for another, his voice itself is just bad.  It's the grating, whiny voice of an emo teenager who is trying so hard to sound intimidating and angsty that it's almost laughable.  Almost.  Instead, it's just painful to listen to him.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 03:48:48 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 26, 2014, 02:54:17 AM »
The first AC is still my favorite of the series. Altaïr's voice certainly is terrible, though. When he appears again in Revelations he thankfully has a completely different and more appropriate voice.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 26, 2014, 02:55:47 AM »
The first AC is still my favorite of the series.

Ew, why?

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 26, 2014, 02:59:01 AM »
The first AC is still my favorite of the series.

Ew, why?

It's my favourite too, simply because it doesn't feel like a themepark ride and it has a thematically fitting and well constructed setting. The other games don't fit either of those criteria.

Sure, it has a ton of flaws, but it's still the least shitty one.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 26, 2014, 03:19:56 AM »
I can honestly say that this is probably the worst voice acting that I have ever heard in a mainstream video game.

Did you never play the original Resident Evil?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 26, 2014, 03:37:37 AM »
Wow, for once I agree with the super critics. The first AC was also my favorite.

Ghost of V

« Reply #396 on: December 26, 2014, 03:41:49 AM »
AC is a terrible series. I could elaborate but I won't.

« Reply #397 on: December 26, 2014, 09:50:33 PM »
I never liked it much myself.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 26, 2014, 09:53:04 PM »
You've both made some very compelling points.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

« Reply #399 on: December 26, 2014, 09:58:54 PM »
If I had to put reasons for my dislike they would be clunky fighting mechanics and a repetitive nature in the missions. I get you're supposed to be an assassin but it does get a bit boring just roaming around assassinating people.

But yeah, I think I played the first one for like 2 hours. Still have the second and third sitting on Steam untouched.