Offline Marcel

• View Profile
Ships disappearing in the horizon
« on: August 02, 2017, 09:12:58 PM »
So I'm new here, and I'm wondering what flat earthers believe happens when a ship slowly disappears over the horizon on the ocean. I practically live on the North Atlantic ocean so if there are any theories I would be happy to test them.

Re: Ships disappearing in the horizon
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 09:16:23 PM »
Welcome Marcel!

This and this are the two most cited 'explanations' for the sinking ship phenomenon on this site. There might be some others, but those are the two I see called upon most often.

Offline Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 09:41:51 PM »
Okay, now I'm not a scientist, nor do I claim to be one, but I'm assuming that on the flat earth, the ocean is perfectly flat (meaning if all waves just stopped and there was no movement to cause waves, it would be the most level surface possible). On round earth, if we were to blow up the moon and stop anything from making any waves gravity would make it a perfect sphere of water (Not accounting for the land).

If a ship were to sail across the ocean to another landmass, you should be able to see the ship the other side with good enough optics and a high enough vantage point.
On the contrary, if what I stated above on round earth happened, there would be a defining point at which the ship would appear that it was sinking. No matter how high you went, the ship would still begin to vanish below the ocean at some point.

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 09:52:31 PM »
Welcome Marcel!

This and this are the two most cited 'explanations' for the sinking ship phenomenon on this site. There might be some others, but those are the two I see called upon most often.
In the first link 'Send a young girl, with short garments, from C on towards D; '

Offline Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 09:56:57 PM »
Welcome Marcel!

In the first link 'Send a young girl, with short garments, from C on towards D; '

I could be reading it wrong, but that is without optics. Of course everything would get smaller and harder to see when its far away.

Offline Merkava

• Masterdebater
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 10:48:33 PM »
Welcome Marcel!

I could be reading it wrong, but that is without optics. Of course everything would get smaller and harder to see when its far away.

Just so you can get an idea what your dealing with.  The guy who posted the video below thinks he has ironclad proof of a flat Earth (I think anyway, he seems kinda nutty to me).  He has no affiliation with this site as far as I know, but they seem to think that's what perspective and refraction would do.
Is it really too much effort to visualize in your head a light rolling around the middle of a plate isn't going to be "east" or "west" of anything it touches EVER?