Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
ACA, 2017...
« on: January 03, 2017, 01:00:34 PM »
I found a decently written editorial piece that talks about the insurance industry and how it'll go once Republicans do their repeal and delay.

https://theconversation.com/as-republicans-ready-to-dismantle-aca-insurers-likely-to-bolt-70317

Summary:
Congress didn't fully fund the ACA and pay the subsidiaries like they should, which made insurance companies take on more risk than they thought.  So with this new administration and the unknown rule changes, they are likely to just drop out of all exchanges, effectively killing the ACA before congress's repeal can even take effect.

It won't be pretty and it's not likely to lower costs.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
Re: ACA, 2017...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 02:25:09 AM »
The root of the problem is how much healthcare costs in America, not the insurance. There is almost no difference between the fucking Mafia and American healthcare right now.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 02:26:56 AM by Hollocron »

George

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 02:33:25 AM »
Literally no difference.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 01:40:14 AM »
The ACA was written and lobbied for by insurance companies as a way to scam money, not only from the government, but from citizens themselves. Not only are one or two companies authorized per state (many of which happened to be owned by the same larger parent company, looking at you, Humana) but you have to buy from them. The government is mandating that you buy a service from a private company and there is no opt out that doesn't involve revoking your own citizenship or killing yourself. It's absolute madness. It's like an entire sector of the government completely forgot what regulatory capture is.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 01:42:41 AM by Rushy »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 07:28:52 PM »
I think my biggest issue with the Republicans isn't that they're going to repeal it.

It has it's flaws, sure.  And they want it gone.  Fine.  But they've had 6+ years to put forth a replacement and while there have been some floating around, none have gained traction.  They're still on the "We have no idea what a replacement will be" yet have had 6 years to actually write one.  So... WTF?  They should have one, in a filing cabinet, that's perfect and has major support by the party.  I mean, it's been their goal since day 1.  So why aren't they ready?
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 06:55:14 AM »
I think my biggest issue with the Republicans isn't that they're going to repeal it.

It has it's flaws, sure.  And they want it gone.  Fine.  But they've had 6+ years to put forth a replacement and while there have been some floating around, none have gained traction.  They're still on the "We have no idea what a replacement will be" yet have had 6 years to actually write one.  So... WTF?  They should have one, in a filing cabinet, that's perfect and has major support by the party.  I mean, it's been their goal since day 1.  So why aren't they ready?

They don't actually care about giving healthcare to people. They were just using the ACA as an attack platform against Obama and Hillary.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 08:50:50 AM »

They don't actually care about giving healthcare to people. They were just using the ACA as an attack platform against Obama and Hillary.
Then it should be easy.

"We're putting the law back to what it was in 2009."

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 01:14:59 PM »
Surely that's exactly what "repeal Obamacare" means?
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 01:22:37 PM »
They can't say that, because even their constituents still want the most popular parts of Obamacare—coverage for people with pre-existing conditions, prices that are the same for everyone. The problem is the GOP wants to get rid of the individual mandate, and the whole thing doesn't work without it. It'll create a health insurance death spiral.

So they've got to keep up the promise that there will be a replacement that honors the popular parts of Obamacare while still repealing it to destroy Obama's legacy.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 03:08:12 PM »
Surely that's exactly what "repeal Obamacare" means?

If it does then it would be a rollback, not a replace.  And would be ready without an issue.

Trekky's right.  They gotta keep Obamacare without keeping Obamacare.

Offline model 29

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 07:03:48 PM »
Should have had the Affordable Health Insurance Act instead.

totallackey

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 05:22:10 PM »
This a beautiful example of what "voting with your dollar," should be...

Instead, we had all these RE-tard rocket surgeons demanding intervention on the part of government to "fix," something...

Got news for you all...

The government is fascist and all you ended up getting was a bunch of fascist lawyers writing a law guaranteeing larger profits for their corporate buddies in the insurance SCAM!!!

You RE-tards will believe anything...

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 05:56:28 PM »
So the outline of the new Republican proposal is out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/16/upshot/republican-health-proposal-would-redirect-money-from-poor-to-rich.html?partner=msft_msn&_r=0

See, here's my problem with this whole tax credit thing...
It doesn't help.

47% of Americans pay no income tax.  They get a full refund due to existing tax credits, low wages, etc...  and at tax time.

So if it's July and I want to buy health care... I get no help, no benefit, no relief.  And when I DO get it, the credit would likely go well over what I paid so I'd get almost no benefit.

But if I'm rich, well... it's a nice bit of money that I get back since I likely don't get back everything I paid in.  So in reality, this doesn't help.  Tax credits to buy healthcare CAN NOT HELP!
Insurance companies aren't going to say "Sure, you can pay your bill on tax credits."  It's preposterous.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 09:00:38 PM »
This is worthy of a good lol.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/19/us/politics/affordable-care-act-critics.html?partner=msft_msn&_r=0

I'm not sure if this is just an editorial, creative wording or accurate but if it is accurate, it's pretty much solid evidence that everything the GOP said and rallied against with Obamacare was total BS and fanned only because they knew they couldn't do anything about it with Obama in office.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 06:14:35 AM »
So the GOP released their plan.
Its not the worse thing in the world but it certainly favors the rich.

The idea of replacing subsidies with tax credit means that if you pay little tax, you get only a little help.  Plus, if you spend more tax credit than you get (like say you lose your job halfway through the year) then you have to pay the government back as owed taxes.

And 30% surcharge for lapsed insurance?  How will that NOT be abused?  Tell insurance companies they can charge more if they manage to have a lapse in insurance coverage and they'll do it.  Wouldn't be hard either.  Just agree to end all policies a week before any new policies start.  "To allow time for us to process your insurance change."

I'm just gonna enjoy my welfare state and feel pity for you guys.