Offline huh?

• View Profile
In hindsight....
« on: September 06, 2015, 05:02:28 PM »
Just ran across this old magazine article:

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/5000-for-proving-the-earth-is-a-globe/8/#mmGal

about a guy named Voliva offering a $5000 reward for proving the shape of Earth in 1931

the article ends with:
The Voliva prize probably will remain uncollected unless some future space traveler some day anchors his ship a few thousand miles out in space and takes a movie of a globular world turning on its axis. That seems to be the only way the $5,000 can ever be collected.

I guess the misjudged true believers ability to ignore reality.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: In hindsight....
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 05:54:26 PM »
There are very few alleged space craft that have been out far enough to see the earth as an entire globe.

What movie is there of a globular world turning on its axis?

geckothegeek

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 09:08:58 PM »
Just ran across this old magazine article:

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/5000-for-proving-the-earth-is-a-globe/8/#mmGal

about a guy named Voliva offering a $5000 reward for proving the shape of Earth in 1931

the article ends with:
The Voliva prize probably will remain uncollected unless some future space traveler some day anchors his ship a few thousand miles out in space and takes a movie of a globular world turning on its axis. That seems to be the only way the $5,000 can ever be collected.

I guess the misjudged true believers ability to ignore reality.

Notice this was written a few years ago -1931. This was a bit before the ISS and live video feeds on the Internet. Of course any true flat earther is going to ignore reality today. Looks as if  Voliva was a true believer of Samuel Birley Rowbotham. That $5000 would have to be split many ways in 2015. LOL.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 09:21:22 PM by geckothegeek »

Offline huh?

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 10:02:54 PM »
There are very few alleged space craft that have been out far enough to see the earth as an entire globe.

Do you understand what a movie is Tom?
It is a series of still shots run together at frame by frame that make them appear to be in motion.

So just because it requires time lapse photography to see a blade of grass grow does not mean that the grass is not growing. Simply because you can patch several photographs together to get a higher resolution image with less distortion than using one single wide angle lens does not mean that the entire image is invalid.

I do not know the number of total images shot from space that capture the earth whole but I would have to guess it is in the hundreds. Not to mention the hundreds of eyewitness accounts from people of many different countries.

So I do not know exactly what your question implies.
Do I know an hour hand turns?   Yes I do.
Can I show it in a two minute video?  No I can not.   

Here is one I found shot by the Galileo spacecraft in 1990

Yes and I have heard all the b.s. about how the Galileo was moving at a certain speed etc. but since I have some experience with photography I know I can make things fit the frame by zooming in or out. In this video there are apparently only 256 frames
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 10:20:04 PM by huh? »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 10:19:46 PM »
The ISS isn't far enough away from the earth to show the earth as a globe. There is a curved horizon. But the horizon would also be curved if one was looking down at a large circle of light. On numerous occasions we have also brought up the fact that the curvature seen in the photographs are inconsistent and NASA is clearly distorting the horizon to make it look more like an arc of a circle.

If we have sent all of these space ships into the solar system, surely one of them far away enough would have taken a movie of a spinning globe.

As it happened NASA did send a space craft far away enough to take a photo of the entire earth recently. However, the integrity of the photograph is somewhat questionable:

The flat earth community has pointed out for some time there was only ever one picture of earth (published in 1972 during the Apollo missions), and it was photoshopped.

After much public pressure, NASA released a second picture in May of this year. 2 pictures in 43 years!

However it was pointed out to me today that the photoshopping dept in NASA is somewhat bored and fed up with painting clouds on composite earths.

If you turn the second image (2015 one) upside down, and look at the right hand side, you can clearly see someone has written 'SEX' in the clouds.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 10:22:10 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 10:28:20 PM »

Do you understand what a movie is Tom?
It is a series of still shots run together at frame by frame that make them appear to be in motion.

So just because it requires time lapse photography to see a blade of grass grow does not mean that the grass is not growing. Simply because you can patch several photographs together to get a higher resolution image with less distortion than using one single wide angle lens does not mean that the entire image is invalid.

I do not know the number of total images shot from space that capture the earth whole but I would have to guess it is in the hundreds. Not to mention the hundreds of eyewitness accounts from people of many different countries.

So I do not know exactly what your question implies.
Do I know an hour hand turns?   Yes I do.
Can I show it in a two minute video?  No I can not.   

Here is one I found shot by the Galileo spacecraft in 1990

Yes and I have heard all the b.s. about how the Galileo was moving at a certain speed etc. but since I have some experience with photography I know I can make things fit the frame by zooming in or out. In this video there are apparently only 256 frames

According to this site the earth flyby was supposed to show a 25 hour period of the earth's rotation.

Why aren't the clouds changing configuration over such a long period of time?

Offline huh?

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 10:32:10 PM »
That would be interesting if it where true Tom.

But I am sure that there are hundreds if one actually looked.
Unfortunately simply doing a Google search brings up many faked photos so it becomes a chore to distinguish between them.

While it is true that a round disk and a sphere do look somewhat a like a round disk looked at from an angle looks like an ellipse and with a sphere you can actually see the perspective change because of the curve.

Offline huh?

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 10:37:19 PM »

"Why aren't the clouds changing configuration over such a long period of time?"

They are moving

However I do not see one full rotation in that vid.

Offline huh?

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 11:07:50 PM »
I see that NASA is generally accused of being Nazi conspirators but the problem is it has never been proven or even a reasonable motive shown that would cause suspicion.

As a matter of fact it would be much simpler if NASA had shown a flat Earth if the Earth was really flat than spending any effort showing it as round
In either theory there is a moon that can be visited. If they where simply wanting to interest us by saying space is a valuable thing to explore they could have just as easily explored the imaginary space of a flat Earth.

In other words -regardless of the shape of Earth NASA could still claim a need for it's funding. If going to the moon was simply a hoax made to make the USA seem technologically superior than why did Russia not say they went also? Or any other country for that matter. China could claim it as well.

And why not just say sure we go to Mars all the time and there are tons of extremely valuable minerals there and we would all be vastly wealthy if we just spent a few trillion to go there and haul it back.

Heck if we just wanted to impress people by making up stories we could say the starship enterprise is real and we zoom around all over the galaxy.

Offline huh?

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 12:24:05 AM »
I was just reading where we have a new satellite called: Deep Space Climate Observatory
June 2015 that is capable of good resolution photos of Earth from 1 million miles out.

Looks to be fully operational this month some time and they say there will be a website dedicated to posting pics.

Even if one assumes that NASA simply went with prevailing popular opinion and chose to fake a round earth instead of a flat earth there is no good reason other countries in particular China would corroborate that fiction. I am sure other countries would be tickled to rub the USA's face in it by proving we are faking space exploration.

Offline huh?

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 02:13:13 PM »
According to Wiki
(I understand FE'ers do not trust it but can be verified independently if you all would choose to do that)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite

about 40 different countries have about 500 operational satellites in orbit.

Even though the ISS orbits too low to get a good single picture of the Earth there are many HD videos that show it passing over a spherical Earth. If it where in fact going around in a circle over a flat Earth the view would be completely different.

My Dish TV points up at the sky because there is a satellite up there. You can change the position of the dish and pinpoint the location of several communication satellites particularly if three or more FE'ers worked together to triangulate the position. 

Offline huh?

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 02:38:28 PM »
It would also be very easy to verify the accuracy of the RE model by using Google Earth.

While it is true that it is a digitally created image it can be used to exactly predict the time and the angle of the sun at any place on Earth.

The only way to do that is to have a extremely accurate understanding the shape of Earth and the position of the sun.

You would not be able to do that with any FE map ever made because they simply do not match simple observation.

Offline Rayzor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 02:54:58 PM »
There are literally millions of full disk pictures of earth,  I don't know why flat earthers continue to persist with the claim that there are only two pictures in 30 years,   there are a number of weather satellites in geostationary orbit,  and they take pictures from 5 or 6 different positions,  every few minutes in some cases in full colour and 11,000x11,000 resolution.   

JMA's Himawari 8  offer 2.5 minute real time image update rates for selected areas,  and 10 minute updates in real time for full disk images.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/07/10/science/An-Image-of-Earth-Every-Ten-Minutes.html?_r=4

Here's another,  Russian this time,  and weird false colour images they seem to like showing infrared as strange colours.  Go figure.

http://www.livescience.com/31431-earth-image-russian-satellite.html

PS..  Need I point out,  ( for those who distrust NASA )   that neither of the above two satellites are NASA missions.

PPS..  A quick count shows that currently there are 10 geostationary weather satellites in operation.  3 xNASA  1x Russian 2 Japanese 3 European 1 Indian,  not counting 2 Chinese FENGYUN satellites now decommissioned.  The earliest geostationary weather satellite GOES was launched in 1975,  so there are 40 years worth of full disk pictures, should anyone care to research it further.   

Here are some GOES-EAST ( now called GOES-12)  recent full disk (albeit false colour) images.
http://goes.gsfc.nasa.gov/goeseast/fulldisk/3band_color/
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 03:51:23 PM by Rayzor »

Offline huh?

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 03:49:03 PM »
One problem (in my opinion) is that it requires some effort.

If you simply do a Goggle search on images of Earth from space you get a lot of the same image over and over again plus a lot of photoshop images and renderings.

To see all the original photos from the Apollo missions you have to search through the NASA archive

The other problem is that many times the images are composite using RGB or other filters and sometimes with enhanced colors.

For example the Weather satellite photos you link to show the Earth against a flat grey background (maybe to enhance the edges)
other times longitude and latitude grids are overlaid and continent borders are enhanced, etc..

Here is an actual feed from the satellite:
http://www.jma.go.jp/en/gms/smallc.html?area=6&element=1&time=201509071530