Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
Re: You are older than you think you are
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2015, 12:48:06 AM »
I don't understand. Did Tom up to this point not understand what an age is? Otherwise this is some weird new form of trolling where no one actually argues with you.

Yesterday you believed that you were as old as your age was. Today you learned that, because no one counts the year between 0 and 1, you are actually one year older than you thought you were.

No, Tom. Your age just refers to the number of years you have completed. Everybody understands this. Nobody thinks they're exactly 25 years old for the duration of their 25th year.

You are not 25 years old at any point during the year where you are calling yourself 25 years old. Your 25 years are over and you are in your 26th year.

You have completed 25 full years when you're 25. If I understand correctly, you think somebody should be called 25 if they've completed 24 full years, and that a newborn infant should be called one year old as soon as they're born. That makes less sense. We round down, not up.

People just have it wrong. When you say that "I am 25 and 1/2 today," how does that make sense if you have, in truth, lived 26 and 1/2 years?

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2015, 12:49:19 AM »
Is this a troll thread? Should I move this?

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2015, 12:52:54 AM »
I don't understand. Did Tom up to this point not understand what an age is? Otherwise this is some weird new form of trolling where no one actually argues with you.

Yesterday you believed that you were as old as your age was. Today you learned that, because no one counts the year between 0 and 1, you are actually one year older than you thought you were.

No, Tom. Your age just refers to the number of years you have completed. Everybody understands this. Nobody thinks they're exactly 25 years old for the duration of their 25th year.

You are not 25 years old at any point during the year where you are calling yourself 25 years old. Your 25 years are over and you are in your 26th year.

You have completed 25 full years when you're 25. If I understand correctly, you think somebody should be called 25 if they've completed 24 full years, and that a newborn infant should be called one year old as soon as they're born. That makes less sense. We round down, not up.

People just have it wrong. When you say that "I am 25 and 1/2 today," how does that make sense if you have, in truth, lived 26 and 1/2 years?

But you haven't, unless you're including time spent in the womb or something. When you arrive at your 25th birthday, you have been alive for exactly 25 years.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 12:56:21 AM »
Maybe Tom is 99 years old and needs to be checked for alzheimers.
God is real.

Ghost of V

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2015, 12:57:44 AM »
Is this a troll thread? Should I move this?

If you have to ask....

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2015, 01:00:23 AM »

But you haven't, unless you're including time spent in the womb or something. When you arrive at your 25th birthday, you have been alive for exactly 25 years.

When you arrive at your 25th birthday you have lived 25 full years on the day prior, and therefore cannot be 25 any more. You are 26. Those 25 years are over and gone. The phrase "I'm 25" does not make any sense. You are not currently 25 during your 25th year.

If we had three cans of corn labelled 0, 1, and 2, would you say that we have two cans or three?

Ghost of V

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2015, 01:02:09 AM »
If we had three cans of corn labelled 0, 1, and 2, would you say that we have two cans or three?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2015, 01:08:30 AM »
If I stand on one foot for 1 minute, did I actually stand on one foot for 2 minutes? ???
The Mastery.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2015, 01:10:30 AM »
When you arrive at your 25th birthday you have lived 25 full years on the day prior, and therefore cannot be 25 any more. You are 26. Those 25 years are over and gone. The phrase "I'm 25" does not make any sense. You are not currently 25 during your 25th year.

Why would I call myself 26 if I've been alive for 25 years and 1 day? I'm in my 26th year, yes, but I haven't completed it. Like I've already said, your age refers to the number of years you have completed. At least, that's how it works as long as you aren't in East Asia.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2015, 01:14:25 AM »
I'm so confused, he even used the standard definition of "years old" here:

How the hell is he equating having lived 26 years with living during the 26th year?

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2015, 01:36:07 AM »
I'm so confused, he even used the standard definition of "years old" here:

How the hell is he equating having lived 26 years with living during the 26th year?
Alzheimers?
God is real.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2015, 01:55:43 AM »
This is like watching bugs fly into a zapper. Yeah, you feel a little bad for them, but goddamn is it entertaining.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2015, 01:59:46 AM »
This is like watching bugs fly into a zapper. Yeah, you feel a little bad for them, but goddamn is it entertaining.

Not everything is an xXx_epic_troll_xXx. This is a civilized discourse among scholars regarding the merits of two methods of age reckoning.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2015, 02:10:47 AM »
Not everything is an xXx_epic_troll_xXx. This is a civilized discourse among scholars regarding the merits of two methods of age reckoning.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2015, 02:39:30 AM »
Heh, excellent use of taylorSwiftReactionMene04.gif. *upvotes*

Rama Set

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2015, 11:58:56 AM »
Heh, excellent use of taylorSwiftReactionMene04.gif. *upvotes*

Not Taylor Swift!  Jennifer Lawrence!!!

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2015, 12:37:37 AM »
This is when a thread should be locked.

Offline jroa

• Kentucky Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2015, 03:18:46 PM »
If I have 3 cans of beer, and I drink half a beer, I would say that I have 2 or even 2 1/2 beers, not three, even though I have 3 cans.  Same goes with age.  You count the whole ones.  Being in your first year of life is not the same as having lived for a year. 

Thork

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2015, 03:22:59 PM »
I'm 37. I look and feel way younger than many of the chaps I went to school with. How many times the sun has moved up and down between the tropics is of little consequence. My biological clock isn't running at the exact same speed as everyone else's. It is individual based on genetics and lifestyle.

An 'age' is only a guideline for the place you are likely to be physically and mentally.

Online Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2015, 10:59:24 PM »
I'm 37. I look and feel way younger than many of the chaps I went to school with.

On the notion of admitting you're still a child.