Offline beardo

• View Profile
Re: Joining the PC master race
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2015, 05:23:07 PM »
Anyone who doesn't think Windows 8.1 is better than Windows 7 doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.
What a compelling argument.
The Mastery.

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2015, 05:34:20 PM »
My level of computer knowledge is probably on Saddam's plebeian level. Windows 8 is awful and completely un-user friendly.

Ghost of V

« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2015, 06:03:39 PM »
Anyone who doesn't think Windows XP is better than Windows 7 & 8 doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.

Fixed that for you.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »
My level of computer knowledge is probably on Saddam's plebeian level. Windows 8 is awful and completely un-user friendly.

Thankfully, Windows 8 and 8.1 are different.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2015, 06:20:59 PM »
Let's see the beast once it's all put together. Also where's the picture of all your boxes stacked up?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2015, 06:36:02 PM »

That's true, it's nice to have a start menu again but I would still rather go back to 7.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2015, 07:18:15 PM »
Anyone who doesn't think Windows 8.1 is better than Windows 7 doesn't have a clue what they're talking about.
People are just very upset about Metro/Modern UI, which I can honestly understand. However, given that 3rd party solutions to that problem exist and work well, this is no reason to write Win8 off completely.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2015, 07:49:56 PM »
Let's see the beast once it's all put together. Also where's the picture of all your boxes stacked up?

Too late for the boxes, but I'll post a picture of the computer once it's complete.

« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2015, 08:56:46 PM »

That's true, it's nice to have a start menu again but I would still rather go back to 7.

I prefer 8.1 simply because of performance improvements. The stupid tile screen is easily avoided and somewhat useful when you get used to it. I tried upgrading my W7 desktop to 8.1 lately and couldn't (easily) without paying, so I dropped it there, but otherwise I would.

Thork

« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2015, 09:07:34 PM »

Too late for the boxes, but I'll post a picture of the computer once it's complete.
I hope you are as excited as I get when I make a new computer. Its a lot of fun. :-)

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2015, 09:25:31 PM »
My primary experience with Windows 8 is installing print drivers on other people's computers.  Why, oh why did they have to make it so gawd awfully unintuitive to get at the th*rking print drivers? >o<
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2015, 09:47:37 PM »
Please stop posting, markjo.

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2015, 10:53:01 PM »
Please stop posting, markjo.
Reported( memberating)
God is real.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2015, 03:57:59 AM »
Behold, the PC that I can't seem to connect to my monitor:

As soon as I get a chance, I'm going to buy an HDMI cable and see if that works.  If it doesn't, I have no idea what I'm going to do.

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2015, 04:24:22 AM »
I had an older computer that was fully functional, but running a very old Pentium D. It did have an SSD, though. So Secret User and I took it out to the desert earlier today and blew it away with a 12 gauge. A mix of buckshot and slugs turned it into a mangled piece of sheet metal and silicon. The remaining pieces were successfully recycled. The exit wound from a 12 gauge slug is an impressive sight.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2015, 10:36:04 AM »
Behold, the PC that I can't seem to connect to my monitor:

As soon as I get a chance, I'm going to buy an HDMI cable and see if that works.  If it doesn't, I have no idea what I'm going to do.
What are you getting on your monitor, the same thing you get if you have no cable plugged in?  (ie. it can't even detect that a cable exists)
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2015, 10:38:57 AM »
What are you getting on your monitor, the same thing you get if you have no cable plugged in?  (ie. it can't even detect that a cable exists)

"can't seem to connect" is pretty vague. Not sure if he has it plugged in properly.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2015, 11:00:36 AM »
He was getting a "no signal" message at one point with VGA. I'm not sure if that was before or after he turned his graphics card's power cable the right way around, though.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2015, 11:01:13 AM »

"can't seem to connect" is pretty vague. Not sure if he has it plugged in properly.
I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on being able to put a uniquely shaped plug into the only slot it'll go.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2015, 11:02:06 AM »
He was getting a "no signal" message at one point with VGA. I'm not sure if that was before or after he turned his graphics card's power cable the right way around, though.
He put the power cable backwards?  That was possible?