Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
Re: Joining the PC master race
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2015, 04:06:30 PM »
I seriously regret ever making this thread and ever telling FES about my plans for a computer.  It simply hasn't been worth it.

Parsifal, go slash your wrists.  The world will be a better place without you.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I want to help.
The conviction will get overturned on appeal.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2015, 04:48:00 PM »
Why are you so sensitive/defensive about this? You don't know anything about making a computer and that's totally okay. There's no need to be so hostile.

You're right, I shouldn't rant.  I suppose seeing Parsifal suddenly switch gears from his constant dickery to a sanctimonious high-horse attitude in this thread angered me a bit more than usual.  But he's the only one I've really had a problem with, there's no need to project it on to anyone else.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2015, 04:51:53 PM »
Just to clarify though, why do/did you thing that you don't need the thermal paste?
The Mastery.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2015, 05:02:21 PM »
You're right, I shouldn't rant.  I suppose seeing Parsifal suddenly switch gears from his constant dickery to a sanctimonious high-horse attitude in this thread angered me a bit more than usual.  But he's the only one I've really had a problem with, there's no need to project it on to anyone else.
Parsifal has a valid point to make, he's just particularly shit at making it. It's often very annoying to tech-savvy people to see those who don't really know what they're doing ask for help and then suddenly start behaving like they know better than the person(s) they're asking for help.

The community has grown particularly sensitive to this problem, so we often tend to overreact to (perceived) instances of that issue. Mind you, I'm completely out of the loop on what's happening, so I'm not trying to judge whether or not this was an overreaction or justified condescension; I'm just trying to shed some light on the psychological aspects of these kind of interactions.

That said, if you need any help with anything specific, feel free to bring me up to speed on the situation (It seems like a lot of the conversations took place on IRC, or maybe I'm just dumb and failing to piece a coherent story from this thread) and I might be able to assist. Although that was ages ago, I've assembled a few computers and have some idea of how to troubleshoot them. Then again, you seem to have plenty of volunteers already, so maybe that's not necessary. Whatever works for you.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #124 on: February 09, 2015, 05:07:46 PM »
Just to clarify though, why do/did you thing that you don't need the thermal paste?

The fan came attached to a base that had four pegs.  I was told by the instructions to insert each of the pegs into the holes around the processor's space on the motherboard.  There was no mention of thermal paste.  And I read on the Internet that there are a number of fans that are made in such a way that you don't need to apply any thermal paste.  That's it.  I wasn't making some kind of objective claim that I personally was somehow above using thermal paste, or that no thermal paste had been used in the construction of the fan, only that it didn't look like I needed to use any.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2015, 05:08:14 PM »
He's tried with both a VGA cable and a DVI to HDMI cable.
Are you saying that he used those in conjuction, as in HDMI -> DVI -> VGA?

The fan came attached to a base that had four pegs.  I was told by the instructions to insert each of the pegs into the holes around the processor's space on the motherboard.  There was no mention of thermal paste.  And I read on the Internet that there are a number of fans that are made in such a way that you don't need to apply any thermal paste.  That's it.  I wasn't making some kind of objective claim that I personally was somehow above using thermal paste, or that no thermal paste had been used in the construction of the fan, only that it didn't look like I needed to use any.
It's possible that there already was thermal paste on the HSF (heat sink and fan unit). That's usually the case if the instructions do not mention needing to apply it. That should be easy to verify for your HSF.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 05:11:14 PM by pizaaplanet »

Thork

« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2015, 07:12:01 PM »
while I act like a clueless female.
That's what Saddam tried.

Sorry Saddam, couldn't resist! :D

I think the issue is very obvious. Saddam has spent a good deal of money on parts. He is flying a bit blind and is scared he's going to break it and won't know what broke and all those parts are a waste of money as he never finishes it. So he's taking forever and afraid something will go wrong.

I have to say at this point, if I thought it was going to be that stressful, I'd have paid the extra $50-100 and just ordered a bespoke computer online and let someone else build it. If you take labour and stress into account, it may have been a better route. But anyway ... he can't be far away now and next time he'll breeze through it.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2015, 07:24:49 PM »
I'd have paid the extra $50-100 and just ordered a bespoke computer online and let someone else build it.
Make that $500 and you've got a case. There's a good reason people choose to build their own PCs.

...get it? Case. Like, chassis, lol.

Rama Set

« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2015, 07:28:00 PM »
I'd have paid the extra $50-100 and just ordered a bespoke computer online and let someone else build it.
Make that $500 and you've got a case. There's a good reason people choose to build their own PCs.

I assume it gets easier to build your own PC every time as well.  Saddam will get increasing returns on this pain of his.

Thork

« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2015, 08:37:54 PM »

Not these days. Builders are very competitive. Go to one of those modify your PC sites. On a $600 PC they don't make much of a margin at all.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 09, 2015, 08:52:54 PM »
Depending on the site, Thork is right (for once), PC build labor costs about $25-50.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2015, 12:36:33 AM »
I suppose seeing Parsifal suddenly switch gears from his constant dickery to a sanctimonious high-horse attitude in this thread angered me a bit more than usual.  But he's the only one I've really had a problem with, there's no need to project it on to anyone else.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but that's not how it looks from where I'm standing. Maybe I have been a bit on the abrasive side, but I've been trying to be helpful whenever there's something I know the answer to from memory. Having only built one computer, that isn't always.

I also don't think I have a "sanctimonious high-horse attitude". Rooster posted a comment on our chivalry (or lack thereof), and I attempted to clarify. That's all.

I apologise if I've come across any other way.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2015, 01:08:46 AM »
I suppose seeing Parsifal suddenly switch gears from his constant dickery to a sanctimonious high-horse attitude in this thread angered me a bit more than usual.  But he's the only one I've really had a problem with, there's no need to project it on to anyone else.

I'm sorry you feel that way, but that's not how it looks from where I'm standing. Maybe I have been a bit on the abrasive side, but I've been trying to be helpful whenever there's something I know the answer to from memory. Having only built one computer, that isn't always.

I also don't think I have a "sanctimonious high-horse attitude". Rooster posted a comment on our chivalry (or lack thereof), and I attempted to clarify. That's all.

I apologise if I've come across any other way.

Okay, let's hug and make up. :-*

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2015, 02:42:44 AM »
Aww, how sweet.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2015, 05:16:04 AM »
He's tried with both a VGA cable and a DVI to HDMI cable.
Are you saying that he used those in conjuction, as in HDMI -> DVI -> VGA?
He's got one regular VGA cable. One cable with a HDMI plug in one end, and a DVI in the other. He has tried both. No signal. According to Parsifal, he also has a regular HDMI cable, but Saddam supposedly doesn't believe it's a HDMI because it doesn't say HDMI anywhere on it (apparently it says VGA and DVI/HDMI on the other cables respectively...). From what I've figured, his monitor only supports VGA and HDMI for some reason.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 05:19:05 AM by beardo »
The Mastery.

« Reply #135 on: February 10, 2015, 07:39:23 AM »
Doesn't have a DVI cable lying around?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 10, 2015, 07:41:51 AM »
What good would a DVI cable do when his monitor doesn't have a DVI port? And no, he probably doesn't have one lying around since he's been a laptopfag until now.
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2015, 03:31:10 PM »
According to Parsifal, he also has a regular HDMI cable, but Saddam supposedly doesn't believe it's a HDMI because it doesn't say HDMI anywhere on it

I have no idea what this is in reference to.  There are no other cables.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2015, 05:15:27 PM »
Anyway, as Dave said, there's a good chanse you fried your GPU by giving it too much power through the one power socket when you had the cable turned the wrong way..  :-\
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #139 on: February 10, 2015, 05:39:03 PM »
I don't think I ever turned it on like that.  I had originally arranged it with one plug in the power, one in the GPU, and the other in the air connected to nothing.  I put the two plugs in the power only for a couple of minutes while I conferred with the wise people of IRC about what the right way to do it was.  And in any case, the GPU's fan is whirring normally, which would seem to indicate that it's fine.  Or maybe it doesn't.  That's just an assumption on my part.