Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
need some Mac Server advice
« on: October 04, 2014, 04:32:25 PM »
Figured I'd see what the minds here know.

So my district has about 150 iPads.  To manage them, I have an old macbook with 2gb of ram with os mavericks and is os server.

Now it runs fine with one exception: VPP(volume purchase program) tokens.  I hate these things.  To explain: apple allows you to assign an app to a user and push that app.  The VPP allows you to do that.  It also links to a special iTunes account that let's you buy the apps. 
We have roughly 7 of these tokens.  Why?  Because you don't want to mix money from the various departments.  Special Ed, for example, has their own budget and thus their own VPP account.

Now the server can only handle 1 token at a time.  So if I want to push out apps for specialed, I load the token and push the apps.  If I want to push out apps for the HS, I swap the tokens and push.  However, swapping tokens also stops all pushes and prevents any future pushing or authorization until I put it back.

To this end, I want to virtualize the servers so I can have 7 servers on one box.  We already have a windows server VM farm so it fits in our overall technology plan.  However, apple are dicks and refuses to allow virtualization on any non-apple hardware.  So... I'm debating what to buy.  I can get a Mac mini with 16GB of ram and hope that'll work (2gb for each server which is minimum) at $1,500 or the Mac pro with 32 gb of ram (upgradable to 64) for $3,500.  I'd like to go cheap as most of the servers won't be doing much most of the time but each server requires a minimum of 2gb and the Mac mini maxes out at 16.

Also: Mac pro is a god damn canister.  Mounting it is not really an option.  But the mini is a box.

Thoughts?  The pro is definitely the server choice as its hardware is the upgrade for the old apple xserver.  But the mini may do what I need for many years.  I just don't have enough Mac hardware experience to know which is the best option.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

Re: need some Mac Server advice
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 04:43:11 PM »
Have you considered Windows?

I can't help you
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 05:27:35 PM by Vauxhall »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 05:30:33 PM »
Are you really expecting this group of people to provide serious answers to this question?
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 05:51:54 PM »
Are you really expecting this group of people to provide serious answers to this question?
Well, Thork at least may know.
And even if not, it'll be fun to see the responses.  So don't disappoint.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 06:07:55 PM »
http://www.hackintosh.com/

Build a cheap ass computer but buy lots of RAM. 16GB that isn't made for gaming/overclocking should only cost about $100. Here is a list of hardware that is actually compatible with OSX: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

OSX isn't a bad OS, I just never liked the fact that Apple tries to wall people in on shitty, expensive hardware.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 06:10:53 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 06:57:25 PM »
Thanks rushy.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 09:35:41 PM »
What you need is some MacGyver advice.
The Mastery.

Ghost of V

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 09:37:53 PM »
What you need is some MacGyver advice.

My signature might be useful here.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 11:24:17 PM »
I agree.
The Mastery.

Thork

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 03:54:14 AM »
I hate mac minis, but that is the answer. We use those little bastards for everything. We hide them in walls at trade shows, make them do the thinking when an iPad is left wanting, run websites from them, make them serve our wiki, make them run video collages with 12 screens or so and give them to developers who plead too poor to get their own equipment.

Forget the mac pro. Its not for that. Put it this way, if you pick a mac mini you picked the obvious choice and no one can say shit to you.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 05:26:34 AM »
I hate mac minis, but that is the answer. We use those little bastards for everything. We hide them in walls at trade shows, make them do the thinking when an iPad is left wanting, run websites from them, make them serve our wiki, make them run video collages with 12 screens or so and give them to developers who plead too poor to get their own equipment.

Forget the mac pro. Its not for that. Put it this way, if you pick a mac mini you picked the obvious choice and no one can say shit to you.

If you need little mac servers en masse, this makes sense, but considering he only needs one with a bunch of VMs running on it, a hackintosh is the more economical option.

Thork

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 09:24:25 PM »
hackintosh
Did you even read the OP? He is looking to get this on behalf of his work. You don't go stealing software for your company or breaking license agreements. You just spend the $600 and get on with it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 09:26:52 PM by Thork »

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 09:41:22 PM »
Did you even read the OP? He is looking to get this on behalf of his work.

So? If Apple sues a school for circumventing their walled garden hardware then all it will do is make Apple look like a bunch of asshats and be terrible PR.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 09:43:59 PM by Irushwithscvs »

Thork

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 10:44:14 PM »
I doubt Apple would ever find out. But Dave isn't going to look very professional when his solution is something illegal, is he?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 10:46:01 PM »
I doubt Apple would ever find out. But Dave isn't going to look very professional when his solution is something illegal, is it?

Software licenses don't define what is and isn't legal. It's Apple, not the US government. No one gives a shit what Apple thinks.

Thork

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 10:47:04 PM »
Should Dave just copy and paste that straight into his business case?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 10:48:25 PM »
Should Dave just copy and paste that straight into his business case?

Is this the best response you could come up with?

Thork

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 10:49:28 PM »
You know your solution is retarted. Why would I put any more effort in than I have?

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2014, 10:51:01 PM »
You know your solution is retarded. Why would I put any more effort in than I have?

Dave is now well on his way to saving a school $1000 on their budget. What are you doing with your life?

Thork

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 10:52:01 PM »
A mac mini is about $600. You are looking to save him $200 at best, whilst sounding like a total gonk when he utters the word 'hackintosh'.