Offline RazaTD

• A rational man
    • View Profile
The curve
« on: February 14, 2021, 03:25:40 AM »
Recently I stumbled upon this thread in metabunk while searching for easy ways to prove the curvature of the Earth.

https://www.metabunk.org/threads/soundly-proving-the-curvature-of-the-earth-at-lake-pontchartrain.8939/

How do Flat Earthers explain the image of the pylons over the lake that is dipping?
A rational man

Offline stack

• View Profile
Re: The curve
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 06:27:56 AM »
Recently I stumbled upon this thread in metabunk while searching for easy ways to prove the curvature of the Earth.

https://www.metabunk.org/threads/soundly-proving-the-curvature-of-the-earth-at-lake-pontchartrain.8939/

How do Flat Earthers explain the image of the pylons over the lake that is dipping?

There are a bunch of old threads regarding this. Search "Pontchartrain".

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 06:25:57 PM »
@razatd

Metabunk is not a website anyone should visit.  It is only useful for reinforcing presumptive bias - never objective evaluation (critical or not).  Debunkers do a for-profit job, and education / balanced objective evaluation are not in the profit motive(s).

Fwiw.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 10:55:26 PM »
@razatd

Metabunk is not a website anyone should visit.  It is only useful for reinforcing presumptive bias - never objective evaluation (critical or not).  Debunkers do a for-profit job, and education / balanced objective evaluation are not in the profit motive(s).

Fwiw.

You are incorrect. Metabunk, regardless of how you feel about the content, is not a for-profit site. As well, there are no ads, in other words, no monetization. Cost to host/run the site:

There are three (4) costs:
- Domain registration. I use Namecheap.com, for metabunk.org, .net, and .com. This is $36 per year.
- Server hosting. I use Linode.com, a Linode 2GB instance, at $40 per month. But this is shared with several other sites, so I'd say around $20 per month, or $240 per year
- Forum Software. Xenforo.com, This was $140 initially, then $40 per year for upgrades. So let's amortise that at $80 per year, assuming I'll be around for another 3-4 years.
- SSL Certificate. $8 per year. Comodo/Namecheap.

Total = 36+240+80+8 = $366 per year. About $30 per month, or $1 per day.
https://www.metabunk.org/threads/how-much-does-metabunk-org-cost-to-run.2291/

And by your logic, no one should ever visit any YouTube channels or some meet-ups/conferences as the vast majority are monetized by the likes of GlobeBusters, Jeranism, Rob Skiba, the Marble guy, Mark Sargent, etc. As well they get speaking fees.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 06:27:51 PM »
Two things:
  • Metabunk, for all its cognitive flaws, is obviously not for profit, and we shouldn't make such accusations without strong evidence. This site gets hit with similar accusations on the regular, and it's really no fun to be on the receiving end.
  • As stack pointed out, this is a duplicate thread from a user who keeps ignoring the rules and failing to do even the most basic due diligence. Locked.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume