Offline Tron

• View Profile
New Map Idea (South Centered)
« on: January 05, 2021, 05:21:50 PM »
Hi All,

Im a big fan of the South Centered Flat Earth Map.  Attached is a draft at What I think the earth looks like.   You'll notice I shrunk the Southern portion of the map, kept the middle, and enlarged the north.  Horizontally, I doubled the size of Greenland and let everything else follow. 

From the surface Earth looks flat.  From space Earth looks round.  Now what?

Offline Iceman

• where there's smoke there's wires
    • View Profile
Re: New Map Idea (South Centered)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 05:37:41 PM »
what are the advantages of a south-centered map over the bi-polar map and the more common north-polar projection?

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 06:01:02 PM »
Well, first theres Antartica.  I believe it exists.  I know traval times accross America and other places are an issue with a traditional south map projection, but these alterations help make these continents more recognizable.  I can't speak much for the North centered and Bi-Polar maps,  except that the biggest alterations to a map like this are in places least explored like the far north.   

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 07:21:08 PM »
Well, first theres Antartica.  I believe it exists.  I know traval times accross America and other places are an issue with a traditional south map projection, but these alterations help make these continents more recognizable.  I can't speak much for the North centered and Bi-Polar maps,  except that the biggest alterations to a map like this are in places least explored like the far north.

What's the distance from let's say, New York City to Anchorage?

And why not, for example, center the projection on Cairo?

Or Rio?

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 07:57:41 PM »
Im sorry I don't have exact distances for you, paper and pen is all I have right now and imperfect math skills.

But, because I lowered the southern latitudes then America should be similar in shape and distance to what we see today.  Alaska is longer and taller in this model.

Its the similarities in shape and distance of the countries that make me choose this model.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 09:00:18 PM »
Im sorry I don't have exact distances for you, paper and pen is all I have right now and imperfect math skills.

But, because I lowered the southern latitudes then America should be similar in shape and distance to what we see today.  Alaska is longer and taller in this model.

Its the similarities in shape and distance of the countries that make me choose this model.

Do you find these two similar? Do they make sense proportion and possible distances wise?

And you do realize that by a projection, regardless of where it's centered, is taking a globe map and contorting it onto a 2D space, right?

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 09:48:40 PM »
Yes, I do.  I kindof like your model above.

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 03:35:47 PM »
Stack. I feel Im Not answering your question sufficiently.   If you enlarge my sketch above and overlay it with Europe so that Africa is roughly the same size,  then the two maps look  very similar.

I used a real map to make this drawing and adjusted it so the shape and distance between countries is close to RE parameters.  The USA is identical in this model.

Offline Tron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 06:19:10 PM »

What's the distance from let's say, New York City to Anchorage?

[/quote]

Stack I looked at flights from ny to anchorage, flight times distance, etc.   On a normal south projection map, its twice the distance then a round map.   But on this map,  i condensed everything below 30n latitude which shrinks the distances back to normal again.   Alaska also curves towards America here which helps.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 06:37:24 PM by Tron1002 »