Offline Trist

• View Profile
Experiment with Braided Line
« on: September 23, 2020, 11:58:53 PM »
I need some advice, im going to make an experiment in a lake similar of what some people do with the green laser. Some critics dont like the experiment with lasers because of the "refraction" excuse.
So, im planning to it with  Braided Lines, the same used with kites, i cant afford anything much thicker than that.
https://www.emmakites.com/products/red-uhmwpe-cord-spool

What i am planning to do, is that im going to put one extremity of the line in one side of the lake, and the other part in the opposite margin 10 km away, just like a very straight line, 20 cm above the water level.

What i want to expect with this is if the Earth is a Globe(according to the general measurements): the rope will enter at some point in the water.

Or if the earth is Flat: of course, the line will never touch the water  at any point and will reach the other extremity at the same height (20 cm).

Or if the earth is a much bigger Globe, just like the Crater Earth hypotesis: it can touch at some point the water, and/or cannot reach the other extremity, or it will reach at a lower height.

Notice: the curvature drop can be more than 4 meters with 10 km at 20 cm of height!!!

So, why dont we see experiments using any sort of ropes?
Would a straightened rope prove that the Earth is Flat, or they can have another excuse for it?
Doing some experimentation with spherical surfaces, a line cannot curve, unless it is laying down on the spherical surface.

"The shortest path between two points is a straight line"
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 12:03:09 AM by Trist »

Offline JSS

• Math is math!
    • View Profile
Re: Experiment with Braided Line
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 12:21:14 AM »
What i am planning to do, is that im going to put one extremity of the line in one side of the lake, and the other part in the opposite margin 10 km away, just like a very straight line, 20 cm above the water level.

The reason this is not done is there is no material you can make a rope or cable out of that won't sag at that distance.  In fact, you can't stretch a line for very far at all before it starts to visibly sag no matter how expensive, strong or light.

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 09:19:01 PM »
Yes, 10,000m is going to sag. A lot!  :'(

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 03:51:47 AM »
It's been done. You are welcome to do it again!  Please take video / meticulous documentation!

Use a frozen lake, and measure the rope factoring in any elasticity if you keep the line taut.

Of course there are many other ways to skin this cat and, using buoyancy, the weight of the line "sagging" can be eliminated.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 03:56:20 AM by jack44556677 »