Offline junker

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Movies & Comics General
« Reply #960 on: October 21, 2019, 03:47:11 PM »
[url=http://https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_New_York_City_Subway_shooting]

Nice link, did you even bother clicking on it? I will go ahead and fix it. Seems like no one else bothered to click on it anyway.

Also, I saw Joker yesterday and generally agree with your overall opinion(s). One thing though, I am pretty sure Joker does kill Beetz, at least that is what I gathered when they showed him all bloody leaving her apartment after she told him to gtfo.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 03:48:51 PM by junker »

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
Re: Superhero Movies & Comics General
« Reply #961 on: October 27, 2019, 05:14:07 AM »
Nice link, did you even bother clicking on it? I will go ahead and fix it. Seems like no one else bothered to click on it anyway.

Quit oppressing me. This says a lot about our society.

One thing though, I am pretty sure Joker does kill Beetz, at least that is what I gathered when they showed him all bloody leaving her apartment after she told him to gtfo.

Well, there was a recent interview with the movie's cinematographer that touched on this subject, and we should probably just get this over with so we can talk about it normally:

spoiler warring
Quote from: Lawrence Sher
For instance, his relationship to Sophie is a fantasy to him. Some people have asked me, “Was she killed?” Todd makes it clear she wasn’t killed. Arthur is killing people who’ve wronged him in a certain way, and Sophie never wronged him.

"Todd makes it clear" my ass. It's ambiguously shot, like you pointed out (although I'm not sure if Arthur did look especially bloody directly afterward or if it was all just part of his generally disheveled appearance), we don't see the end of the confrontation between them, and we never see Sophie again in the movie. If the situation wasn't meant to be ambiguous, why does it play out like that?

Conspiracy theory time: They went ahead and shot the scene as Arthur killing Sophie, as per the original script, but months later, as rumblings of an incel controversy began to cast a shadow over the film's premiere, they panicked and cut out the murder altogether, only leaving the initial confrontation and the aftermath of Arthur walking down the hallway post-murder. It would have been too late at that point to get Phoenix to lose a ton of weight again so they could reshoot the scene and give it a different outcome. And something that might support that narrative is Phillips's very insistent disavowal of deleted scenes and extended cuts in general. (Some brief research online has shown me that he doesn't seem to have been so concerned about this for his previous movies.) Deleted scenes would of course include Arthur killing Sophie, and both Phillips and the movie would be raked over the coals for filming a scene like that to begin with.

Or maybe this just wasn't a very well-written movie and Phillips isn't a very good director.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 01:47:02 PM by honk »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y