Offline JRowe

• Slowly being driven insane by RE nonsense
    • View Profile
    • Dual Earth Theory
Re: Superhero Movies & Comics General
« Reply #800 on: July 13, 2018, 03:43:54 PM »
I was actually looking forward to Shazam. And then the poster came out and I lost all hope for DC's future in movies.

Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam tells you everything you need to know.
I quite like him as an actor, he could definitely pull off a decent role, but he's both not in the Shazam movie and not responsible for the god-awful poster that screams unfunny comedy.
My DE model explained here.
Open to questions, but if you're curious start there rather than expecting me to explain it all from scratch every time.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Wake me up w-...actually, no, don't
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 13, 2018, 04:21:58 PM »
I was actually looking forward to Shazam. And then the poster came out and I lost all hope for DC's future in movies.

What poster? I didn't think DC released one yet.

Also, some fan color-graded the first official image of the film in Zack Snyder's style for fun, and...well, his paraSnydes basically had an orgasm.
Quote from: garygreen date=1480782226
i also took an online quiz that said i was a giraffe.  and i guess you're dumb enough to believe that i must be because the internet said so.

Offline Rama Set

• Round and round...
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 14, 2018, 01:19:05 AM »

Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam tells you everything you need to know.
I quite like him as an actor, he could definitely pull off a decent role, but he's both not in the Shazam movie and not responsible for the god-awful poster that screams unfunny comedy.

I like Dwayne Johnson as an all-American action hero but I wouldn’t trust him to pull off something with more depth. The article I read said he was in Shazam, but I guess he is getting a solo movie.
Technically the explanation for why the sun sets at higher altitudes is also "waves," and whatnot.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 14, 2018, 03:40:11 AM »

What poster? I didn't think DC released one yet.

I think he's just talking about the official picture released. I didn't think it was great either, but it seems like a stretch to assume it's representative of the movie's quality. My own issue with the movie is that I don't like how they've made Billy Batson a teenager. I feel like him being a kid is the key to the innocence at the heart of the character. On the bright side, though, Mark Strong as Dr. Sivana sounds pretty sweet.

On the notion of Dwayne Johnson. I think he'll be fine as Black Adam, but I'm not sure WB knows where to put him. I'm not keen on the idea of a Black Adam movie, and there's a rumor floating around that the plan is for the sequel to Suicide Squad to focus on the discovery of his tomb or something like that, which is an idea so bad it makes me want to choke. The worst thing WB could do with a SS sequel is give it another standard save-the-world capeshit plot, and the worst thing they could do with one of the biggest stars in the world is waste him on a franchise that's most likely tainted beyond repair because of its horrendous first installment. I'll never understand how SS was such a commercial hit. It would be one thing if it just had a front-loaded first weekend and then fizzled due to negative word-of-mouth, but it had staying power. People were watching it, liking it, and recommending it. Did they really enjoy the awful one-liners? Feel invested in the idiot plot? Find Jared Leto compelling?
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Wake me up w-...actually, no, don't
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 14, 2018, 11:25:40 AM »
I still occasionally argue with coworkers who insist that the Joker was the highlight of that film and want him to have his own movie.
Quote from: garygreen date=1480782226
i also took an online quiz that said i was a giraffe.  and i guess you're dumb enough to believe that i must be because the internet said so.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: July 19, 2018, 10:09:45 PM »

2edgy4me

No, but seriously, I just about lost it at "Fuck Batman." Also, in what should be non-news to any reasonable person:

http://collider.com/justice-league-snyder-cut-zack-snyder/
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Crudblud

• A Most Respectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: July 19, 2018, 10:51:50 PM »
At least a Snyder cut would be uniquely terrible instead of the blandiose mess Whedon cobbled together.