Offline SMC

• View Profile
The Gravity Conundrum...
« on: August 16, 2019, 04:39:42 PM »
It just passed my mind...

We are always told that 'gravity' is why we stick to the 'round' earth and that not matter where we are on the earth... it appears flat... but it isn't. If there were no gravity, we would 'fly off'. It's also why people on the side of the earth don't fall over, or feel that they are upside down etc etc etc.

So... the Moon. No gravity to speak of... yet it has the same characteristics as earth (if we are to believe the moon landings and footage). You could walk to the bottom of the moon and your blood would not rush to your head... and you wouldn't have the feeling of being upside down.

My question is... why?

Re: The Gravity Conundrum...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 05:40:07 PM »
What do you mean “no gravity to speak of”?
The gravity on the moon is about one sixth of that on earth. That means you’d weigh about a sixth of what you do here, as would everything else.
So apart from you being able to lift more and jump higher and throw things higher (check out Alan Shepherd playing golf on the moon), and you’d fall more slowly, everything would work exactly the same as it does here.

Edit: some clips of things being thrown on the moon.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 05:51:24 PM by AllAroundTheWorld »
If you are making your claim without evidence then we can discard it without evidence.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 01:25:30 PM »
'Up' and 'Down' are not absolute terms, they're relative. 'Down' in this case is 'towards the center of gravity' while 'up' is 'away from the center of gravity'. People stationed at McMurdo in Antarctica experience the same 'down' that you do, the force pulling them towards the earth.

Offline Tim Alphabeaver

• That's no beaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 11:24:48 PM »
So... the Moon. No gravity to speak of...
Hehehe  ;)
**I move away from the infinite flat plane to breathe in

Online J-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 11:19:16 PM »
Slow motion photography which is what KubricK used on fake landing, was invented in very early 1900's by Priest August Musger
What kind of person would devote endless hours posting scientific facts trying to correct the few retards who believe in the FE? I slay shitty little demons.

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 02:21:42 AM »
Slow motion photography which is what KubricK used on fake landing, was invented in very early 1900's by Priest August Musger

What does this have to do with OP's question?

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 01:38:35 PM »
It just passed my mind...

We are always told that 'gravity' is why we stick to the 'round' earth and that not matter where we are on the earth... it appears flat... but it isn't. If there were no gravity, we would 'fly off'. It's also why people on the side of the earth don't fall over, or feel that they are upside down etc etc etc.

So... the Moon. No gravity to speak of... yet it has the same characteristics as earth (if we are to believe the moon landings and footage). You could walk to the bottom of the moon and your blood would not rush to your head... and you wouldn't have the feeling of being upside down.

My question is... why?

Maybe it might help you to question why you're thinking of north as "up" and south as "down."

Space has no up or down. People don't stick to the south side of a globe despite some "down" force trying to pull them off.

Ask yourself why you think someone on the southern side of the moon would have blood rushing to their heads. What force is pulling their blood to their heads? Why is it pulling in that direction and not some other?