Offline la xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
Re: New laptop
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2020, 08:13:00 PM »
I have no idea, I haven't received the laptop yet.
Chy-na

I ordered it 3 days ago and they estimated 5-6 weeks before I submitted the order. I'd say I'm well within the realm of expectations here.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2020, 08:16:36 PM »
I have no idea, I haven't received the laptop yet.
Chy-na

I ordered it 3 days ago and they estimated 5-6 weeks before I submitted the order. I'd say I'm well within the realm of expectations here.

Whoa, I ordered mine on the same day. We’re thinkpad twinsies.

Offline la xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2020, 08:37:52 PM »

Yeah except you ordered the worse ThinkPad.

Online Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2020, 09:16:34 PM »

Clearly y'all haven't had the fun of a P52 and its "defective" Thunderbolt port.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2020, 09:38:18 PM »

Clearly y'all haven't had the fun of a P52 and its "defective" Thunderbolt port.

My first laptop was a hand-me-down IBM Thinkpad something or other. It must have weighed 10 pounds or more.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2020, 04:28:58 AM »
It's in transit. Currently waiting to leave the UPS distribution center in Alaska. Hopefully a polar bear doesn't eat it.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2020, 04:01:12 AM »
Just got it. The trackpad sucks complete ass compared to my 7 year old Macbook. Battery life is ok. Build quality of the laptop overall is amazing. I might return it and get another Air like I should have done to begin with. If it wasn't for the jank trackpad I'd 100% keep it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 04:05:01 AM by Fortuna »

Offline junker

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2020, 03:20:09 PM »
Just got it. The trackpad sucks complete ass compared to my 7 year old Macbook. Battery life is ok. Build quality of the laptop overall is amazing. I might return it and get another Air like I should have done to begin with. If it wasn't for the jank trackpad I'd 100% keep it.

I returned my Dell XPS 9500 and got a 2020 MacBook Air. You won't regret doing the same. If trackpad quality is a big deal, nothing is even in the same realm of existence as the MacBook. The new keyboards are pretty good too, although the butterfly keyboard on my work MBP was starting to grow on me.

Offline la xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2020, 03:56:20 PM »
If trackpad quality is a big deal, nothing is even in the same realm of existence as the MacBook.

I keep seeing people say this, and having used both ThinkPads and MacBooks, I just don't see it. MacBook trackpads are absolutely awful to use. Maybe it's just about what you're used to.

Offline Fortuna

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2020, 08:23:08 PM »

I returned my Dell XPS 9500 and got a 2020 MacBook Air. You won't regret doing the same. If trackpad quality is a big deal, nothing is even in the same realm of existence as the MacBook. The new keyboards are pretty good too, although the butterfly keyboard on my work MBP was starting to grow on me.

Yeah, agreed. Generally the Thinkpad one is decent compared to some other brands, but it just fails any time you need it to be precise. If they just copied Apple’s trackpad tech it would be a pretty dank laptop.

Hmm, this may be a difficult decision. The flippy screen is awesome for watching videos and doesn’t wobble at all. The keyboard is hella good. The chassis feels very sturdy, all carbon fiber maybe? It’s hard to tell. But it feels like a very lightweight, super durable plastic. As durable as aluminum, if not more so. I’d be really sad to lose all these ports too. And the jet black finish looks really nice.

Oh, it says it's made out of magnesium on the bottom.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 07:30:59 AM by Fortuna »