Offline Westprog

• View Profile
And just a quick note about intellectual dishonesty: Thork didn't demonstrate them to be faked. What he said amounted to asserting that faking them was possible.

Of course, this is true with modern CGI (faking videos from an actual camera held in hand is extremely expensive; faking carefully-selected still frames can be done with Photoshop). Now, pray tell me, who in their right mind would spend $10,000+ to fake a video that can so obviously be disproven by actually showing up to the location in question?

That's the point about the claim about the visible curvature with the power lines - if you're going to deny something that anyone can turn up and see for themselves, you might as well deny the existence of the powerlines. We know that no FE advocate will go there to look for themselves, even if they live just down the road. So when you're denying something that people can just go to see for themselves, why not just deny the powerlines exist in the first place. It won't dent credibility for more than a day or two.

Offline Tontogary

• View Profile
The idea that Maxwell's Equations were "changed" to support FE is ridiculous on its face. Give it a break and come up with something else. These equations clearly work in modern-day electronics and power transmission and in your fridge magnets. Do you deny these things? If you do, then you're a stubborn denialist, but that doesn't mean that you can't replicate the same experiments that Gauss, Faraday, and Maxwell did instead of just spouting nonsense and asserting it to be true.

Magnetic compasses align with the Earth's magnetic field lines, which are not parallel to Earth's surface. Hence the corrections that need to be made. It's that simple. Of course, actually calculating the corrections is complicated, but understanding why they need to be made is extremely simple. That causes compass dip. No idea how this would happen on a flat Earth (probably some junk pseudoscientific explanation), but from a pedagogical point of view, it's best to stop this Gish Gallop and focus on the obvious disproofs of the flatness of the Earth (intuitive ones). Round Earth should let this compass business go because it's bringing in far too much.

And just a quick note about intellectual dishonesty: Thork didn't demonstrate them to be faked. What he said amounted to asserting that faking them was possible.

Of course, this is true with modern CGI (faking videos from an actual camera held in hand is extremely expensive; faking carefully-selected still frames can be done with Photoshop). Now, pray tell me, who in their right mind would spend $10,000+ to fake a video that can so obviously be disproven by actually showing up to the location in question?

Sorry JohnAdams, I dont agree.

Magnetic force, lines of force and fields are very relevant to the disproving of a FE.

The effects of magnetic lines of force are easy and cheap to see using a compass, a little harder with a dipping compass, and without other magnets, or electrical fields are predictable and have been mapped with relation to the earth that we know, ( or REers know)

FE theory cannot explain what we see in our (my) everyday life on a vessel, and i am genuinely interested in how they can explain the effect on a compass needle, that is accepted by their go to author, as a FACT.

A unipole magnet does not exist in nature, and a radial magnet is man made, but both do not explain the accepted results of many many observations.

Apart from Toms sad remark, there have been no other attempts to try to enlighten me on the lines of force of a radial magnet, or even how many poles the earth has, apart from “maybe 2, or it maybe radial” which as normally happens was an attempt to derail the discussion and muddy the waters with false statements.

In the face of deafening silence and lack of any further data, ideas, or empirical evidence i therefore have to conclude that according to the laws of physics, what we know, observations and charted effects of the earths magnetic field the earth cannot be flat, and can only be spherical.

Also, if you haven't heard of bronies before, that reflects poorly on your understanding of the world that surrounds you. It's practically impossible not to know about them.