BrownRobin

How a conspiracy theory can go awry and cloud rational thinking
« on: February 18, 2018, 04:27:11 PM »
All of you have likely seen the attached video at some point.

Within this debate section, I thought that it would be a good build on my previous post about Understanding the Psychology and Mindset of a Flat Earther.

I don't believe that Flat Earthers are crazy or nuts. But, what I do believe is that a Conspiracy Mindset of distrust can become so much, that it tends to cloud rational thinking.

Many Round Earthers go out of their way to explain laws of physics or show experiments that do everything to prove that the Earth is Round. But, that's not really going to help; once a mindset is established, your likely not going to change the mind of the Flat Earther, short of a Flat Earther going to space and seeing it for themselves that the Earth is Round. Even then, the push-back will likely be that they were looking through a fish-eyed lens.

There are many Round Earthers on this debate forum that can't understand how a Flat Earther could rationally conclude that the UN/ the US Government/ all of the government agencies of the world/ NASA/ SpaceX/ etc.. have guards posted on Antarctica that are preventing people from being able to see the 150 foot icewall (or the edges of the earth) because it is all part of a concerted vast conspiracy to hide a Flat Earth in order to maximize these agencies profilts and to hide money embezzlement. Of course this is a ridiculous and irrational notion, BUT it won't ever be for a conspiracy theorists Mindset.     

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 04:31:20 PM by BrownRobin »

Offline Buran

• View Profile
Re: How a conspiracy theory can go awry and cloud rational thinking
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 05:01:11 PM »
This is honestly the reason I am on the forum. I am fascinated by belief in conspiracy, mostly because I used to believe that the US was controlled by only a few rich people. I thought everyone that thought different from me was brainwashed, but then I started thinking, hey, what if I was the brainwashed one? Brainwashed people truly believe what they believe. If I am going to claim others are brainwashed I could very well also be brainwashed.

So how do you know what is real? Reality only exists in the mind. Reading what others have to say in these forums helps me to understand why I believe what I do. It's an insight to see how others rationalize their reality, and if I think something sounds crazy, why do I? I could be wrong. And I'm not going to sit here and try to tell others what process to use to decide what reality is, but I have my own way to figure that out.

But I would say that if you adamantly think someone else is brainwashed but you know the truth, you may want to check why you believe what you do.
Nicole, show me schematics for "Flat Earth."

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 05:43:27 PM »

Within this debate section, I thought that it would be a good build on my previous post about Understanding the Psychology and Mindset of a Flat Earther.

I don't believe that Flat Earthers are crazy or nuts. But, what I do believe is that a Conspiracy Mindset of distrust can become so much, that it tends to cloud rational thinking.

Many Round Earthers go out of their way to explain laws of physics or show experiments that do everything to prove that the Earth is Round. But, that's not really going to help; once a mindset is established, your likely not going to change the mind of the Flat Earther, short of a Flat Earther going to space and seeing it for themselves that the Earth is Round. Even then, the push-back will likely be that they were looking through a fish-eyed lens.

There are many Round Earthers on this debate forum that can't understand how a Flat Earther could rationally conclude that the UN/ the US Government/ all of the government agencies of the world/ NASA/ SpaceX/ etc.. have guards posted on Antarctica that are preventing people from being able to see the 150 foot icewall (or the edges of the earth) because it is all part of a concerted vast conspiracy to hide a Flat Earth in order to maximize these agencies profilts and to hide money embezzlement. Of course this is a ridiculous and irrational notion, BUT it won't ever be for a conspiracy theorists Mindset.     

Where are you getting your information from? Our wiki says that there is no Flat Earth Conspiracy and that they are merely mistaken about the earth's shape.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 05:53:31 PM »

Where are you getting your information from? Our wiki says that there is no Flat Earth Conspiracy and that they are merely mistaken about the earth's shape.
How can they be mistaken, plenty of measurements and observations?  Is WGS84 incorrect?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 06:03:38 PM »
How can they be mistaken, plenty of measurements and observations?  Is WGS84 incorrect?

Astronomy is predictable because things come in patterns. Please stop going off topic.

BrownRobin

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 06:05:04 PM »

I am getting this Conspiracy or "Fakery" information directly from your fellow Flat Earth believers on this site, whom I have been debating with.

As one quick example, go to my recent debate thread post called "Two Curious Questions for a Flat Earther" and then review your fellow Flat Earther (Sydney) response. This person is using words such as "Fakery" VS. what you are saying as "Mistaken".

If this is incorrect, you should send a note to Sydney as a reminder about the wiki. Sounds like there is some misalignment between you two.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 06:16:31 PM by BrownRobin »

Offline Ratboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 06:28:12 PM »
There is a Flat Earth conspiracy since anyone who looks at stuff or works in any job requiring knowing stuff will see that the earth must be round.  If you propose a wacky view based on deductive reasoning from a false premise, I would say that is selling a conspiracy.

Offline Buran

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 06:42:51 PM »

I think they are referring to the NASA conspiracy to cover up faked space travel.
Nicole, show me schematics for "Flat Earth."

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 06:56:43 PM »

I think they are referring to the NASA conspiracy to cover up faked space travel.

This person refers to "a concerted vast conspiracy to hide a Flat Earth in order to maximize these agencies profilts and to hide money embezzlement". This is clearly not what is said in the Wiki. I would recommend that he or she does more research on what our stance on the matter is.

BrownRobin

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 07:38:22 PM »

This person refers to "a concerted vast conspiracy to hide a Flat Earth in order to maximize these agencies profilts and to hide money embezzlement". This is clearly not what is said in the Wiki. I would recommend that he or she does more research on what our stance on the matter is.

You asked me this same question (above) which I already answered (above). Please be sure to scroll up to see my answer to your question.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:41:41 PM by BrownRobin »

Rama Set

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 07:46:36 PM »

Astronomy is predictable because things come in patterns

Still spouting false claims about astronomy despite being shown ample evidence. The very epitome of a conspiracy theorists mindset.

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 07:49:58 PM »

Astronomy is predictable because things come in patterns. Please stop going off topic.
Not off topic, please answer the question.

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 09:49:01 PM »

That might sound more palatable but I cannot imagine how it could be true. I mean, if all the photographic or video evidence for a round earth is faked, that is a conspiracy, if it isn't faked, then it is round, right?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 11:58:37 PM »

That might sound more palatable but I cannot imagine how it could be true. I mean, if all the photographic or video evidence for a round earth is faked, that is a conspiracy, if it isn't faked, then it is round, right?

If you are interested in what we have to say, why not read the materials we have written for you?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 12:01:23 AM »
You asked me this same question (above) which I already answered (above). Please be sure to scroll up to see my answer to your question.

I did see what you said above. You talked to a random person rather than reading the materials the society wrote for you. Am I supposed to have something more insightful to say other than you did it wrong?

BrownRobin

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 01:03:38 AM »

I did see what you said above. You talked to a random person rather than reading the materials the society wrote for you. Am I supposed to have something more insightful to say other than you did it wrong?

The "randon" person (Sydney) was a person I was debating and is a Flat Earth believer, just like you are a Flat Earth believer. You asked where I got my notion / information from and so I told you where I got my information from. Sydney's belief is that it is a conspiracy and Fakery.

Perhaps I need a list on this site of random Flat Earthers VS. non-random Flat Earthers that are the Zetetic Society. That way, I can look up whom I am debating to see if it is either a Zetetic Society Flat Earth member or a random Flat Earther.

Tom -- I think that deep down you likely know that the Earth is a Round Globe. But, I also realize how the implications of it being Round would threaten not only your identify but also everything you have believed and preached with respect to your Zetetic faith. I can tell how much you invest yourself and your time in this site, making sure you spread the word and protect the Societies beliefs -- I can respect that. But, just step back from the Zetetic system for a moment and try to rationaize what you are saying and your arguments.

In a seperate thread, I posted a video of a launch of the Space Shuttle with a camera attached to the Solid Rocket Tank as the shuttle goes into orbit. (Yes, I know it's from YouTube). The camera on the Tank clearly shows a curved round Earth. If you are saying that NASA isn't putting forth a conspiracy but that NASA is just mistaken about the shape of the Earth, than how can we be mistaken about the curved Earth everyone is see's in the video? If your argument is then that the video is Faked than you are then implying a conspiracy of fakery. Your argument might then not be that NASA is trying to fake the video but that we are just seeing a fish-eye lens of what looks curved but is actually flat. But, you would then be implying that NASA is trying to mislead us by looking at a fish-eyed lens.

I could go on and on... again, I know how much you invest in this site; but just step back and think about whether or not your debate arguments are really what you believe VS. what you need to believe.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 01:08:16 AM by BrownRobin »

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 10:06:33 AM »
There is a new desire by some in the flat earth community to imply that there is no conspiracy. This is probably because they want to make it seem flat earthism can exist on it's own merit. But when you shout down any proof of a round earth, when you deny any and all photographic evidence, scientific evidence, observational evidence, when you claim flight times in the southern hemisphere are faked, what else is that? All these acts of fakery cannot be isolated.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 07:17:41 AM by SpaceCadet »