Offline supaluminus

• Hi. I'm supe.
    • View Profile
We Exist in Grounded, Objective Reality
« on: January 12, 2018, 07:18:01 AM »
So I've got at least a few claims here that I want to work out, because I think they're pretty fundamental to both models flat and round.

1 ) We exist in grounded, objective reality.

2 ) The subjective, first-person experience is the only exception to the first claim. Barring that one exception, there is nothing that any one person can observe that another person cannot also observe, congruently, given that both observers repeat the same experiment and possess the same physical capacity to observe (literally sense of sight, hearing, taste, etc.).

3 ) Differences in opinion can be meted out as factual, plausible, or inconclusive.

4 ) With respect to the competing models of the earth,  only one model comports with reality - it can't be both.

I think it's important that we agree on these premises if we're ever going to make any headway. It's hard enough getting people to stop yammering on about the conspiracy claims and ignoring simple, cogent explanations, but then every so often some solipsistic tripe makes its way into the conversation.

I don't know if there's anyone here who disagrees strongly enough with these premises to make a counter claim, but I invite anyone to play devil's advocate, if that is indeed the case.

The floor is yours, gentlemen.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:49:28 PM by supaluminus »
When an honest man discovers that he is mistaken, either he will cease being mistaken...

... or he will cease being honest.

- a loyal slave to reason and doubt

Offline ShowmetheProof

• We are fellow scientists, and should act as such.
    • View Profile
Re: We Exist in Grounded, Objective Reality
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 05:47:00 PM »
I think those sound pretty good.  You're right, if those premises are observed by everyone, it would make debates better.

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 06:40:46 PM »
Do you even?

Offline supaluminus

• Hi. I'm supe.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 06:57:16 PM »
When an honest man discovers that he is mistaken, either he will cease being mistaken...

... or he will cease being honest.

- a loyal slave to reason and doubt

Offline juner

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 08:07:10 PM »
Do you even?

Refrain from low-content posting in the upper fora. Warned.