Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • I pledge allegiance to Everything Now.
    • View Profile
Re: Snupes' Must-Listen-To List (Recommend me albums!)
« Reply #300 on: July 29, 2017, 04:37:35 AM »
Both of these are from today. Then, back to your regularly-scheduled programming.

Artist: Arcade Fire
Title: Everything Now
Genre: Indie rock
Release: July 28, 2017

Wow. With all the abysmal reviews, I was expecting something seriously disappointing from my beloved fire at a place made for gaming with or around others. And, to be honest, for much of the album I could see why it got the reviews it did. Win's writing is rather ham-fisted at point and lacks the nuance of a lot of their earlier work ("Creature Comfort" is painfully on-the-nose), but it also featured some fantastic writing in general as well. Not as subtle as Funeral, no, but good nonetheless. Mostly, I appreciate them continuing their trend of evolving from album to album. This sounds nothing like any of their other work, with a much more modern reimagining of rock. The album sort of lacks cohesiveness, which is another fault, but one I didn't mind all that much 'cause I was so absorbed in the music. Then again, the album also features "Good God Damn", which is by far the worst Arcade Fire song I've ever heard.

Anyway, yeah, I liked this a lot and it only got better as it went on. I understand why critics aren't fans of it, but I'd give it more like an 8/10 than the 6s and 5s many have felt it deserves. It's not an "indie darling" album, no, but it's a solid work of an ever-changing artistry. I guess they can't have Everything Now.

Artist: テンテンコ (Tentenko)
Title: ミッドナイト・パラダイス (Midnight Paradise)
Genre: Experimental
Release: July 7, 2017

I don't know if Tentenko's capable of releasing music I don't like these days. Her whole sound is just perfectly suited for me. I can (and do) just put her entire discography on shuffle and listen to it from start to finish. This was much more chill than I'm used to from her; her weird little electronic dirges wandering in the background while she slowly sings is incredibly soothing.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 06:26:41 AM by Snupes »
Quote from: garygreen date=1480782226
i also took an online quiz that said i was a giraffe.  and i guess you're dumb enough to believe that i must be because the internet said so.

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • I pledge allegiance to Everything Now.
    • View Profile
Re: Snupes' Must-Listen-To List (Recommend me albums!)
« Reply #301 on: July 29, 2017, 05:40:10 AM »
March 2016 continued. Most of these I didn't write up a personal review for so my feelings have faded, meaning I don't have a lot to say on them, sadly. The ones with longer reviews are either ones I remember very well because I listen to them still or ones that I left a review for myself to use:

Artist: Doe Maar
Title: Klaar
Genre: Ska
Release: April, 2000

Not bad at all, especially for a ska album. My favourites were “Aan de bewoners van dit pand”, “Een droom” and “Leven met een zeven”.

Artist: Boudewijn de Groot
Title: Aeneas nu
Genre: Nederpop
Release: 1969

A nice little nederpop single that was a pleasant enough listen.

Artist: Boudewijn de Groot
Title: Nacht en ontij
Genre: Nederpop / experimenteel
Release: 1968

This was a psychedelic little trip that I definitely enjoyed. My favourite track was the final one, "Heksensabbath 2".

Artist: Jarboe
Title: Thirteen Masks
Genre: Experimental rock
Release: 1991

This ranges from poundingly awesome to achingly gorgeous. Unfortunately, there’s a third point it reaches at times: kinda boring. Mainly in the middle section of the album. With an exception or two, it drops after “A Man of Hate” and stays fairly “eh” until the wonder that is “I Got a Gun”. In sheer terms of wonderful energy, that and “Red” are amazing, and on the other end of slower beauty are “Of Ancient Memory (The Oblivion Seekers) and “Cries (for Spider)”. Also, I found out halfway through listening that apparently Jarboe is (was?) an important member of Swans. Neat. Explains why some of her shit is so (thankfully) weird.

Artist: Foxygen
Title: Take the Kids off Broadway
Genre: Psychedelic rock
Release: July 24, 2012

Really not sure how I felt about this. I think it was enjoyable, but it didn’t leave much of an impression.

Artist: The Raconteurs
Title: Broken Boy Soldiers
Genre: Blues rock
Release: May 15, 2006

This is far better than I expected it to be. I mean, I’m already a fan of Jack White, but teaming up with these guys seemed to be a great idea since not only could they temper his unabashed love for singular riffs (albeit fantastic ones), but they manage to add their own creativity to it and make a psychedelic blues rock album that had nary a disappointing song (alright, it had one, in the form of “Intimate Secretary”. My favourites are easily are the brief, rockin’ “Store Bought Bones” and the more meandering, bluesy reverb that is “Blue Veins”. “Broken Boy Soldier” follows closely, and after that the fact that I’m so weirdly fond of mumbly music means “Call It a Day” is up there as well.

Artist: The Haxan Cloak
Title: Excavation
Genre: Dark ambient
Release: April 16, 2013

A near-perfect dark ambient experience. I say “near-perfect” mainly because both parts of “The Mirror Reflecting” are kind of boring, whereas the rest of the album is marvelous and enchanting. Oh well. The rest of it is totally worth the ride.

Artist: Led Zeppelin
Title: A Picture of a Painting of a Man Carrying a Large Faggot
Genre: Hard rock
Release: November 8, 1971

I’ve learned two things from this. One, Led Zeppelin has some amazing instrumentals. The guitar-work is phenomenal and, in places, utterly badass. Two, I really, really am not a fan of Robert Plant’s singing. I mean, his voice is great on a technical level, I just find his singing incredibly boring. Songs that would’ve been near-perfect (namely “Black Dog” and “When the Levee Breaks”) got dragged down considerably by his singing for me. I would’ve greatly preferred those two songs as instrumentals. The only songs I think really benefited from his singing were “The Battle of Evermore” (which was great) and “Going to California”. Overally, though, pretty good album. Not amazing, but good.

Artist: Flying Lotus
Title: You're Dead!
Genre: Experimental music / jazz fusion
Release: October 6, 2014

This veers wildly between many genres, from rock to jazz to hardcore electronica to experimental to ambient, easy listening. I love it. There’s not a single boring moment on this album.

Artist: Miguel
Title: Wildheart
Genre: R&B
Release: June 29, 2015

God…damn. This was the album I was least expecting to enjoy (I’m not a huge R&B fan) and ended up being the album I’ve enjoyed most in a good while. It’s so amazingly beautiful, thanks to Miguel’s awe-inspiring vocals and the insanely well-done production. Not to mention how bizarre some of the production is, especially on the lower-case tracks. All one needs to hear for proof of that is “the valley”, which features a beat that really shouldn’t work as well with R&B as it does. That’s probably my favourite track, but the closer “face the sun (feat. Lenny Kravitz)” is just immaculate as a closing track. Honestly, I can’t name a single song on this that wasn’t absolutely fantastic. And aside from those two, I can’t say which I like more than the others. It’s all just so, so, so damn good. Wow.

Artist: 매직칼리 (MagiKally)
Title: MAGiC
Genre: K-pop
Release: October 13, 2015

Boring at times, marvelous at others. The best examples of its marvelousness are “Ding ding dong”, “Fuzzy”, and the dazzlingly odd “Old fashioned disco”.

Artist: Third Mind Movement
Title: Чудовище из Красного дворца (Chudovishe iz Krasnogo dvortsa / Monster from the Red Palace)
Genre: Neo-psychedelia
Release: 2015

Long, neat and fairly minimal. Not bad.

Artist: Мельница (Mel'nitsa)
Title: Алхимия (Alkhimiya / Alchemy)
Genre: Folk rock
Release: October 9, 2015

Damn fine. I’m glad to see Мельница being so consistently good! My favourite track from this is definitely "Война (Voyna / War)", which I honestly wish had closed the album because it's got such an incredible and out of left field ending.
Quote from: garygreen date=1480782226
i also took an online quiz that said i was a giraffe.  and i guess you're dumb enough to believe that i must be because the internet said so.