Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 08:42:46 AM »
The only advantages I can see to modern consoles is that they can be easily played through the telly and local multiplayer, although fewer and fewer games are offering the latter.

Offline Hollocron

• The sloth of swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2016, 09:12:40 AM »
The only advantages I can see to modern consoles is that they can be easily played through the telly and local multiplayer, although fewer and fewer games are offering the latter.

I mean, if you're looking at a spreadsheet I suppose a PC is objectively better than a console. But for some reason this paper advantage doesn't translate to the real world. It's the reason why millions of people play on consoles still: it's just a shitload of fun. One thing I like about consoles is that I can lay back on the couch and navigate the entire platform with a controller, one-handed too. I can stand at the kitchen counter, talking in party chat, while looking across at the tv. I can walk around the living room with my wireless controller playing any game I want. There are never any pop-ups or virus scans to deal with. Every aspect of the experience is centered around games. I don't know, there are just a ton of nuances that make console gaming more fun for me.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 09:16:43 AM by Hollocron »

Offline Ghost Spaghetti

• Don't look in that mirror. It's absolutely furious
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2016, 10:33:40 AM »
That's all what I mean about easily connecting it to the telly.

Offline Crudblud

• A Most Respectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2016, 03:06:39 PM »
Consoles seem to have become less and less gaming-oriented with each generation since the PS2. The core of newer consoles seems to be a really shitty PC, wherein the draw of convenience that older consoles had and still have is negated by installation processes and the downloading of patches, off-set marginally by the inclusion of social networking, streaming video, online subscription services etc., but with none of the granularity as far as hardware customisation and choice of operating system are concerned, and generally lacking all the other advantages actual PCs have.

I grew up playing games on console and on PC because they offered significantly different experiences from each other, and I still play older consoles when I want to just drop a disc in the machine and play right away, newer consoles don't seem to be designed to offer that kind of experience. Switch, despite the usual Nintendo marketing focus on tech gimmicks, at least seems to be functioning as a dedicated gaming platform rather than as a PC with a massively reduced feature set. I know it's easy to say that the two are exactly the same, and in one sense they are, but I think the difference between what Nintendo is doing with its hardware and what Microsoft and Sony are doing with theirs is pretty obvious.

seem seem seems seemingly seemed

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 04:26:34 AM »
This might be the first console I ever buy.

Looks dope.
You don't think I'm going to post here sober, do you?  ???

I have embraced my Benny Franko side. I'm sleazy.

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2016, 08:18:45 PM »
To be fair, this might not have a touchscreen, and would therefor be a very terrible tablet.
Quote from: Saddam Hussein
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.

Offline Hollocron

• The sloth of swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2017, 01:23:53 AM »
Just got a Switch. It's p dope. Zelda is one of the greatest games I've played in a long time. The tablet itself is pretty hefty and doesn't look too nice sitting next to an iPad, but it's some pretty rockin fun. Also, being able to split the controller in half and hold one part in each hand is strangely satisfying.

Offline Hollocron

• The sloth of swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2017, 07:39:15 AM »
Breath of the Wild is the best game ever made I think. The polish, artistic subtlety, and gameplay are just masterful.