Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
Re: US Presidential Election 2024
« Reply #200 on: September 26, 2024, 07:39:56 PM »
According to the article I linked…
Trump and Vance, a U.S. senator from Ohio, are charged with disrupting public services, making false alarms, telecommunications harassment, aggravated menacing and complicity.

Yes, it’s doubtful that the case will go anywhere, but it’s yet another example of the number of fucks that Trump gives about the truth and the potential consequences of his words and actions.

It's also an example of the kind of overblown, unnecessary actions taken against Trump that his followers use as ammo to say that he's just being targeted for political reasons, and given that they're correct in this case, it's justification for that attitude. This really isn't helping any.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 26, 2024, 08:06:31 PM »
Trump thrives on conflict.  If we ignored him, he'd be powerless. 

I wish we could ignore him.
The conviction will get overturned on appeal.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 26, 2024, 09:02:16 PM »
What personal profit?  It’s a criminal case being filed, not a civil one.

They're baiting donations for a cause they know has no chance of succeeding.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 26, 2024, 09:15:54 PM »

As if Trump hasn't been fund raising to pay his legal bills for years. ::)
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 26, 2024, 10:14:29 PM »
To me it sounds like political theater to show the locals that they are trying to do something, even if its pointless.

Most people want action, not thoughts of action.  Even if that action is known to be pointless.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 26, 2024, 11:45:52 PM »

As if Trump hasn't been fund raising to pay his legal bills for years. ::)

Okay? "Trump did wrong thing, therefore they can do wrong thing too" is not a very rational thought process, markjo.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 27, 2024, 12:22:54 AM »
Okay? "Trump did wrong thing, therefore they can do wrong thing too" is not a very rational thought process, markjo.
"Trump did the wrong thing" is why the nonprofit organization representing the Haitian immigrants who have legal status is filing criminal charges against Trump, even if the local authorities won't.
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 27, 2024, 08:40:27 AM »
Yes, it’s doubtful that the case will go anywhere, but it’s yet another example of the number of fucks that Trump gives about the truth and the potential consequences of his words and actions.
Right.
This is my big issue with Trump. I disagree with his general worldview. But that's OK, that can be the basis for some discussion.
But the big issue is the way he comes to decisions and conclusions about things.
He sees something on TV about Haitians eating cats in Springfield - from one of the networks he watches which constantly reinforce his worldview.
He regurgitates it in the debate, is immediately told that there are no credible reports of that actually happening and just mutters "well, I saw it on TV..."

I think literally the next day he's announcing mass deportations, clearly having made zero effort to actually check anything

Now, clearly the mass immigration in to Springfield has caused issues. It's reasonable to believe that something should be done. But the something should be based on actual facts and an understanding of the situation, not right leaning media outlets feeding you lies which you don't bother to check and then start basing policy on even after being told that they were lies.

For someone who goes on about "fake news" all the time, he sure does like to lap up all the lies which feed in to his worldview. Which is depressingly common these days of course, but I don't think anyone who does that should be in any position of power. Make policy based on data and facts, not "stuff you saw on TV". Sigh.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2024, 10:11:02 AM by AATW »
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 27, 2024, 11:26:25 PM »
Trump was promising mass deportations before the Springfield story came out. Your interpretation about what occurred is invalid.

Offline honk

• resident goose
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 28, 2024, 04:01:25 AM »
This is my big issue with Trump. I disagree with his general worldview. But that's OK, that can be the basis for some discussion.
But the big issue is the way he comes to decisions and conclusions about things.
He sees something on TV about Haitians eating cats in Springfield - from one of the networks he watches which constantly reinforce his worldview.
He regurgitates it in the debate, is immediately told that there are no credible reports of that actually happening and just mutters "well, I saw it on TV..."

I think literally the next day he's announcing mass deportations, clearly having made zero effort to actually check anything

Now, clearly the mass immigration in to Springfield has caused issues. It's reasonable to believe that something should be done. But the something should be based on actual facts and an understanding of the situation, not right leaning media outlets feeding you lies which you don't bother to check and then start basing policy on even after being told that they were lies.

For someone who goes on about "fake news" all the time, he sure does like to lap up all the lies which feed in to his worldview. Which is depressingly common these days of course, but I don't think anyone who does that should be in any position of power. Make policy based on data and facts, not "stuff you saw on TV". Sigh.

Do you really think that Trump sincerely believes that Haitian migrants are running amok and eating pets in Springfield? I certainly don't. This is a strategic move on his part. He's seen success with making racist or racially-charged attacks in the past, and he's trying to replicate that.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2024, 05:11:12 AM by honk »
ur retartet but u donut even no it and i walnut tell u y

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 28, 2024, 08:28:22 AM »
No "credible" reports. So, some reports were made.

Is it true Haitians eat dogs and/or cats?

Yes. It is part of voodoo.
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 28, 2024, 09:01:36 AM »
I hereby report that Donald Trump travelled to my neighbourhood and ate all the dogs. With ketchup.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 28, 2024, 10:28:50 AM »
Do you really think that Trump sincerely believes that Haitian migrants are running amok and eating pets in Springfield? I certainly don't. This is a strategic move on his part. He's seen success with makiig racist or racially-charged attacks in the past, and he's trying to replicate that.
I dunno. I don’t think he’s that smart.
If he is just playing dumb then he deserves an Oscar. It’s a triumph of method acting.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 28, 2024, 10:49:35 AM »

It's not.

Also, the report in question was a woman who lost her cat and blamed the neighbors.
The cat was found in her basement.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 28, 2024, 11:43:05 AM »
I hereby report that Donald Trump travelled to my neighbourhood and ate all the dogs. With ketchup.
Thank you for reporting that.

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 28, 2024, 11:43:44 AM »

It's not.

Also, the report in question was a woman who lost her cat and blamed the neighbors.
It is part of voodoo rituals.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 28, 2024, 01:15:48 PM »
"Trump did the wrong thing" is why the nonprofit organization representing the Haitian immigrants who have legal status is filing criminal charges against Trump, even if the local authorities won't.

Wasting justice system time with frivolous charges is not the morally right thing to do. Trump made some morally wrong choices, but they weren't illegal. I know you have a hard time with this, markjo, but the legal system and morality are not 1:1.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 28, 2024, 07:08:55 PM »

It's not.

And you have evidence of this?  Or should I just take your non-voodoo ass's word for it?

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 29, 2024, 06:02:16 PM »

It's not.

And you have evidence of this?  Or should I just take your non-voodoo ass's word for it?
You ever been to Haiti?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 29, 2024, 08:40:30 PM »

It's not.

You ever been to Haiti?
No.  Have you?