Re: President Joe Biden
« Reply #1580 on: July 21, 2024, 10:05:15 PM »
this is actually unironically a bad thing

Offline Crudblud

• A Moist Delectable Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: July 21, 2024, 10:09:02 PM »
Allan Lichtman must be furious right now. The keys, the keys!

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: July 21, 2024, 10:11:14 PM »
I think this was the dumbest possible decision the DNC could make. Time will tell if that's true.
Why? Biden had zero chance of winning. Maybe you think Harris has too, but even if that's true it's not possible for anyone else to have less chance than Biden did. Him dropping out was the only possible chance the Democrats have of winning this election. There's a good chance they won't anyway, but there was nothing to lose.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: July 21, 2024, 10:28:41 PM »
I think this was the dumbest possible decision the DNC could make. Time will tell if that's true.
Why? Biden had zero chance of winning. Maybe you think Harris has too, but even if that's true it's not possible for anyone else to have less chance than Biden did. Him dropping out was the only possible chance the Democrats have of winning this election. There's a good chance they won't anyway, but there was nothing to lose.

Not according to polling.
The conviction will get overturned on appeal.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: July 21, 2024, 10:36:12 PM »

Now they have legal minefield to navigate regarding how the candidate will be selected and how they will qualify to be on the ballot in each state. They're also confusing voters and making the DNC look chaotic.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/kamala-harris-trump-2024-polls-biden-rcna162934

Harris doesn't poll any better than Biden does. Now, that could change. It could get better... but looking back on her 2020 primary performance, the chances aren't looking good. The voters didn't like her at all and her primary run ended quickly.

I think the key take-away here is that all of the DNC's options are bad options, but keeping Biden at least appeared to be a sane thing to do, even if he was going to lose anyway. This will cause the DNC to devolve into even more finger-pointing and blame gaming than it was already doomed to experience.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2024, 10:38:15 PM by Rushy »

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: July 22, 2024, 08:20:12 AM »
Harris doesn't poll any better than Biden does. Now, that could change. It could get better... but looking back on her 2020 primary performance, the chances aren't looking good. The voters didn't like her at all and her primary run ended quickly.
I guess the argument is at least with her it could get better, with Biden it definitely won't. It does feel like a desperate last throw of the dice but I think it's one they had to do.

I think the key take-away here is that all of the DNC's options are bad options
No argument there.
Tom: "Claiming incredulity is a pretty bad argument. Calling it "insane" or "ridiculous" is not a good argument at all."

TFES Wiki Occam's Razor page, by Tom: "What's the simplest explanation; that NASA has successfully designed and invented never before seen rocket technologies from scratch which can accelerate 100 tons of matter to an escape velocity of 7 miles per second"

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: July 22, 2024, 08:27:49 AM »
None of this is going to end well for anyone.

Get ready for Phase 3.
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: July 22, 2024, 01:45:21 PM »
I guess the argument is at least with her it could get better, with Biden it definitely won't. It does feel like a desperate last throw of the dice but I think it's one they had to do.

I don't think it was guaranteed that it would not get better with Biden. What really threw a wrench into the DNC's plans is that someone tried to kill Trump. Whatever the DNC comes up with in the next few months will never overshadow that, it'll be talked about perpetually, it's one of those events that is never going away.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: July 22, 2024, 02:17:35 PM »
Incorrect.
If someone succeeds, that'll overshadow it.
The conviction will get overturned on appeal.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: July 22, 2024, 02:33:35 PM »
Incorrect.
If someone succeeds, that'll overshadow it.

No one can succeed because Trump put all of his spec points into evasion. This counts against all attacks, both verbal and physical.

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: July 22, 2024, 03:02:08 PM »

I don't think it was guaranteed that it would not get better with Biden.
The only way I could see it getting better is if Biden stopped looking so completely incapable of holding office. And that didn't seem likely.

I suspect the assassination attempt will continue to galvanise support. They say for musicians that dying is a good career move, it seems like for politicians surviving an assassination attempt is pretty good too.

« Reply #1591 on: July 22, 2024, 07:35:14 PM »
if Biden stopped looking so completely incapable of holding office

is there anything policy-wise that makes you think he's incapable of holding office? i've heard a lot about how he sounds old and tired, but i have yet to hear of anything in the realm of actual public policy that should make me think he couldn't handle the job. if anything, his presidency has been remarkably active.
I have visited from prestigious research institutions of the highest caliber, to which only our administrator holds with confidence.

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: July 23, 2024, 07:02:44 AM »
i've heard a lot about how he sounds old and tired, but i have yet to hear of anything in the realm of actual public policy that should make me think he couldn't handle the job. if anything, his presidency has been remarkably active.
Yea, but bitches love appearances and platitudes. We can agree it's dumb, but Joe's "haha funny old grandpa" reputation was torpedoing his chances
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

Offline AATW

• View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: July 23, 2024, 08:08:56 AM »
i've heard a lot about how he sounds old and tired, but i have yet to hear of anything in the realm of actual public policy that should make me think he couldn't handle the job. if anything, his presidency has been remarkably active.
Yea, but bitches love appearances and platitudes. We can agree it's dumb, but Joe's "haha funny old grandpa" reputation was torpedoing his chances
Gary does have a point, I'm not a fan of "style over substance". BoJo is a textbook example of that, he's very personable and funny and when he's on something like HIGNFY I find him entertaining. But holy shit don't let him anywhere near any position of power, we've seen how that worked out. The issue with Biden is he does come across as "funny old grandpa" and that does matter. Maybe it shouldn't, but being president isn't just about policy. He has to inspire confidence both within the country and to the world and he just doesn't. I mean, he's 81 ffs. Why the hell would you ever want an 81 year old running a country? And that's his age now, his abilities both physical and cognitive are only going to go in one direction as they have over the last 4 years. Trump being in charge was a shit-show too of course, and will be again. He's openly laughed at around the world. But if he shouts U-S-A loudly enough no-one seems to care. I do see a glimmer of hope in Harris, but only a glimmer.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 08:11:40 AM by AATW »

Offline Action80

• View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: July 23, 2024, 09:49:13 AM »
His "public policies" resulted in nothing but total disaster for millions of citizens of this country.

Jesus. Gotta be fucking kidding.
To be honest I am getting pretty bored of this place.