Here are some nice pictures of mountains in California taken from Point Dume:

The actual visible amounts align pretty much perfectly with those predicted on a spherical earth, while the flat earth predicts between 2,200 and 6,100 feet more should be seen, depending on distance.

More details can be found here.
If you've proven yourself immune to logic and incapable of reasonable debate, please understand that I won't be paying you much heed (this means you, George Jetson, Baby Thork, Sandokhan, Tom Bishop, and Totallackey).

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕‿◕✿)
    • View Profile
    • The Flat Earth Society
Re: Nice photos of California mountains disprove the flat earth notion
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 11:19:10 AM »
I'm not sure why this thread is in FEI. Do your "nice photos" investigate or critique a mainstream, authoritative claim? If so, please make sure to make your point in the body of the OP.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we've already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Facebook and Twitter!

*mic stays stationary and earth accelerates upwards towards it*

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 08:18:35 PM »
We already had this thread. It was determined and agreed that on a Round Earth the amount of mountain that should have been visible to the observer was somewhere between 13% to 7.8% of the mountain, depending on how the math was done.

It did not match up to the Round Earth Theory. Take a look at where the base of the mountain would be in the below Google Streetview Image from near the mountain:

https://forum.tfes.org/index.php?topic=10320.40

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 08:24:59 PM by Tom Bishop »

Offline George Jetson

• Question Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 10:17:13 PM »
Perspective causes a sinking effect for objects that are beyond the horizon line for an optical horizon. The base of that mountain is clearly beyond the horizon so there should be a sinking effect.  The Bislin calculator and other such calculators don't take this fact into account so any predictions made using them are worthless.
If you've proven yourself able to make arguments that make him/her experience cognitive dissonance, Max_Almond will whine about you in his/her signature (this means you, George Jetson, Baby Thork, Sandokhan, Tom Bishop, and Totallackey).

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 11:53:16 PM »
Perspective causes a sinking effect for objects that are beyond the horizon line for an optical horizon. The base of that mountain is clearly beyond the horizon so there should be a sinking effect.  The Bislin calculator and other such calculators don't take this fact into account so any predictions made using them are worthless.

Like this?

Perspective causes a shrinking effect. Perspective wouldn't cut off the lower third of the sun. This would be perspective:

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 01:33:27 PM »
We already had this thread.

That's a different photo.
If you've proven yourself immune to logic and incapable of reasonable debate, please understand that I won't be paying you much heed (this means you, George Jetson, Baby Thork, Sandokhan, Tom Bishop, and Totallackey).

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 05:29:57 AM »
The base of that mountain is clearly beyond the horizon so there should be a sinking effect.

Can you please explain this further, George?

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 10:17:50 AM »
Here's the nearest place of streetview I could find along the Point Dume-San Jacinto line of sight:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8503132,-117.0685214,3a,75y,89.97h,86.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szU1Xze8GPitJIAh_Vrr5oA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!5m1!1e4