shootingstar

Another FEW Question...
« on: January 14, 2019, 12:51:44 PM »
Again under the FAQ page it states...

The Earth is not a planet by definition, as it sits at the center of our solar system above which the planets and the Sun revolve

According to whose definition is the Earth not a planet and what proof (not opinions) have you got for this statement as it stands?

Offline ChrisTP

• View Profile
Re: Another FEW Question...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 01:34:10 PM »
Again under the FAQ page it states...

The Earth is not a planet by definition, as it sits at the center of our solar system above which the planets and the Sun revolve

According to whose definition is the Earth not a planet and what proof (not opinions) have you got for this statement as it stands?
The only real answer you will get is that it's the observable truth. you can't individually view the earth externally (yet) so there's no individual proof that it's a planet too. It's a good thing mirrors exist otherwise people might think they aren't human either if they can't see themselves in third person.

I don't think there's any proof other than something similar to what Tom might say, in that by default earth isn't a planet until proven otherwise and that they don't need proof of that...
Tom is wrong most of the time. Hardly big news, don't you think?

shootingstar

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 02:08:02 PM »
Well flat Earthers are always drumming on about proving things, so this is my challenge to them to prove to me that the we have all been mistaken in regarding the Earth as a planet.  I suppose you could say that definitions are subjective.  The IAU actually lays down the official definition of a planet and that is how Pluto came to be relegated to the status of dwarf planet. In that sense Pluto has been re-defined but it still most certainly defines the Earth as a planet.

I am more curious to understand why they think the Earth sits at the centre of the Solar System, Universe or whatever.  Back in caveman times that was a reasonable assumption because they had no means of knowing any different. 

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 08:35:41 PM »
I looked out my window. I didn't see a planet. It seems as if the burden is on those who believe to demonstrate something that is not experienced. Asking us to disprove your illusion is invalid in premise. You must prove your own illusions.

Offline WellRoundedIndividual

• Proverbs 13:20 is extremely relevant today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 08:43:49 PM »
I can't see the aether of the UA, so therefore it does not exist.
BobLawBlah.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 08:51:29 PM »
I can't see the aether of the UA, so therefore it does not exist.

Maybe it doesn't and something else is making the earth move upwards instead. We have made no claim on the matter.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 08:57:23 PM »
Incorrect, Pete has made a claim in another post and states he believes it to be an aether.

Let me rephrase, per the Wiki, UA is described as a force that is created either by dark matter or another exotic matter.  I cannot observe this with my eyes looking outside a window. Therefore, it does not exist.
BobLawBlah.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 08:59:02 PM »
Incorrect, Pete has made a claim in another post and states he believes it to be an aether.

Let me rephrase, per the Wiki, UA is described as a force that is created either by dark matter or another exotic matter.  I cannot observe this with my eyes looking outside a window. Therefore, it does not exist.

It sounds like the Wiki is not claiming an answer and is telling us that the matter has not been determined.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 09:01:31 PM »
Well, than I cannot determine either proposed theories by looking out my window. So both are false theories, based on your premise of being able to look out your window and determine the existence of something.
BobLawBlah.

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 09:02:56 PM »
Well, than I cannot determine either proposed theories by looking out my window. So both are false theories, based on your premise of being able to look out your window and determine the existence of something.

I agree. The matter is unknown.

shootingstar

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 09:21:21 PM »
I looked out my window. I didn't see a planet.

That is quite worrying. I would love to know where your window is in that case Tom. It seems the Illusions are on your side my friend and not mine.   I guess you see whatever it is you want to see. 

Offline RonJ

• ACTA NON VERBA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 10:07:34 PM »
What about the guy on the ISS who looked out his window and definitely saw that the earth was a sphere?  Why shouldn't I believe him?    Some of the ISS guys are amateur radio operators and talk to other amateurs on the ground (world wide).  I've actually heard them talk myself.  Does that make me part of the conspiracy?  I'm not a Mason, nor have I ever worked for NASA.  It sounds like there are some serious questions here and no answers available, even from Tom.
You can lead flat earthers to the curve but you can't make them think!

Offline Pete Svarrior

• e
  • Planar Moderator
  • (◕˽ ◕ ✿)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 10:11:23 PM »
Pete has made a claim in another post and states he believes it to be an aether.
Did I? That doesn't sound like me at all.
Read the FAQ before asking your question - chances are we already addressed it.
Follow the Flat Earth Society on Twitter and Facebook!

If we are not speculating then we must assume

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 10:11:51 PM »
I looked out my window. I didn't see a planet. It seems as if the burden is on those who believe to demonstrate something that is not experienced. Asking us to disprove your illusion is invalid in premise. You must prove your own illusions.
Yet you see the sun rise and set and know for other places in the world. Basic sums determine the shape of the eath.

shootingstar

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 10:42:41 PM »
Maybe it doesn't and something else is making the earth move upwards instead. We have made no claim on the matter

So you're basically guessing about something that has no founding to it whatsoever then  Is that what you are saying?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 11:30:15 PM »
Maybe it doesn't and something else is making the earth move upwards instead. We have made no claim on the matter

So you're basically guessing about something that has no founding to it whatsoever then  Is that what you are saying?

The matter is unknown.

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 11:55:53 PM »
stack's description is fairly accurate - UA acts like a current, because it pretty much is one, usually of aether.

There. That's where you said it. Bingo.
BobLawBlah.

Offline Bad Puppy

• Belief does not make something a theory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 05:10:55 AM »

Oh yeah.  Dark matter.  How does FET accept it, considering it has not been directly observed (so, count out the zetetic method), and its theoretical effects have been observed via NASA instruments (not trusted by FE) located in space (never been there according to FET)?
Quote from: Tom Bishop
...circles do not exist and pi is not 3.14159...

Quote from: totallackey
Do you have any evidence of reality?

Offline Tom Bishop

• Zetetic Council Member
  • Flat Earth Believer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 05:27:34 AM »

Oh yeah.  Dark matter.  How does FET accept it, considering it has not been directly observed (so, count out the zetetic method), and its theoretical effects have been observed via NASA instruments (not trusted by FE) located in space (never been there according to FET)?

Who says that we do? That was one idea listed among a number of others.

Offline stack

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 09:34:29 AM »

Who says that we do? That was one idea listed among a number of others.

According to you, it seems like the others are considered farcical:

I have heard on numerous occasions that the main problem with the division of the Flat Earth groups is because of the topic of the Universal Accelerator. Flat Earthers have declared that, although they believe that the earth is flat, they think that the Flat Earth Society's idea of an upwardly accelerating earth to be farcical and ridiculous. I hold that this belief has spread simply because the facts have not been properly communicated. I have been working on a solution for this. Please read the following article:

Evidence for the Universal Accelerator

The Universal Accelerator is, in fact, a strong piece of evidence for the Flat Earth movement. It can be shown that it is actually farcical to try and use or argue for any other form of gravity.