Re: Ask a Jew anything.
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2014, 04:03:27 PM »
From what I understand, Americans did that for about 30 yrs as a cleanliness measure, but no longer do so much any more. The Arabs are the children of Ishmael, Abraham's oldest by Hagar, & like him, do it @ age 13. Other Muslims do the same. I've read Qur'an & some of the Sunnah of the Prophet & have seen the command to circumcise, but never the reason. In the Bible, the reason is clear: to make him part of the Covenant. Why by that method I don't know. But why Muslims do it is irrelevant, ultimately. They not of the Covenant. We are. What Scripture tells us to do, we do.

The Bible (Old Test) talks about The Covenant? Doesn't that mean it covers everyone, Jews, Christians, Muslims?

Also you didn't answer my last question.  :'(

Offline Hoppy

• Posts 6892
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2014, 05:49:32 PM »
Why do Jews have a big nose?
God is real.

Offline bj1234

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2014, 06:30:50 PM »
So they can smell the gold easier? ;D

What is the reason for not eating dairy product with meat products?

Offline rooster

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2014, 06:42:02 PM »
From what I understand, Americans did that for about 30 yrs as a cleanliness measure, but no longer do so much any more.
I can't claim to be certain of this, but as far as I know it's still a thing. Perhaps the Americans in this thread could weigh in?
Yep, still pretty normal. The one person I was aware of being uncircumcised had British parents. Americans are starting to catch on that it's a totally useless practice but still mostly happens for the social norm of it.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2014, 06:49:30 PM »
Please repeat the last question. The son of the Promise was Isaac, & his son Jacob [Israel] (who got the birthright from his father), & his sons the Twelve Tribes of Israel were those of the Covenant. God did make of the Children of Ishmael a great nation, but they were not of the Covenant. The meat-dairy thing is a derivative of the Torah law of not boiling a kid in its mother's milk. The Rabbis made the law stronger to 'put a fence around the Torah'. If you didn't break the stricter law, you couldn't break the written one. This also explains why I'm traditional, but not precisely Orthodox.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2014, 06:53:32 PM »
Fap, little bugs in salad? I've never encountered that. But if one is going to use ranch dressing, which is dairy, bugs might count as meat, I suppose.

Offline Roundy

• Abdicator of the Zetetic Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2014, 07:36:41 PM »
Why do Jews have a big nose?

Because air is free.

@Yaakov: Just out of curiosity do you keep kosher?  Why do the kosher laws exist (or is it even a case of rationality vs "God says this so this"?  I'm just curious; my mother has a theory about kosher law that it was originally about cleanliness in many cases (like, pigs and shellfish, being such utterly filthy animals), although she maintains that the meat and milk combo is purely a matter of ethics.  What do you think?

For the record I'd die before permanently giving up bacon, lobster, and cheeseburgers, but as I'm sure I've made clear I'm not a religious Jew.
Dr. Frank is a physicist. He says it's impossible. So it's impossible.
My friends, please remember Tom said this the next time you fall into the trap of engaging him, and thank you. :)

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2014, 08:06:05 PM »
Roundy, I keep as close to kosher as possible. By this I mean that I avoid the forbidden animals. Because kosher slaughtered beef is not available in my city, I do eat regular beef. But when I can, I look for the kosher label on products like canned goods. As far as why kosher exists, I think your mother has something there. For example, lobster & other forbidden seafood are usually bottom-feeders, ie, they eat shit. However, it does ultimately come down to 'God said so.' I had no idea you were Jewish @ all. Cool. My family isn't religious either.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2014, 08:16:27 PM »
I believe that no Jew has the right to tell another Jew how to be a Jew. For example, I'm @ a certain point & level of observance right now. I used to be less kosher. I want to be more kosher. But living in my city that is not possible w/o kosher markets & being in a tiny apt w/ a kitchen that can never be made kosher. I don't want some arrogant Orthodox prig telling me I'm not a good Jew. So I'll never tell a non-religious Jew that they are not a good Jew. If they want my help in becoming what I think is a better Jew, hey, they've got it, but otherwise, I respect where they're @, where I once was. We have to work together, & infighting is just stupid.

Thork

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2014, 08:25:28 PM »
I believe that no Jew has the right to tell another Jew how to be a Jew.
What about Moses?

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2014, 08:33:36 PM »
Thork, obviously, that's different, wise-ass! But I walked into that I guess. LOL.

Offline Rushy

• Planar Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2014, 08:37:41 PM »
A bacon lobster cheeseburger sounds delicious.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2014, 09:50:42 PM »
Irush, forget about kosher laws, that just sounds nasty.

Offline spoon

• Foxy wins
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2014, 10:03:44 PM »
A bacon lobster cheeseburger

would eat.
inb4 Blanko spoons a literally pizza

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2014, 10:57:53 AM »
Would you invite me for dinner?
The Mastery.

Yaakov ben Avraham

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2014, 11:02:31 AM »
Sure, why not?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2014, 11:04:21 AM »
I might offend your religious family.
The Mastery.

Offline markjo

• Zetetic Council runner-up
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2014, 04:40:18 PM »
Abandon hope all ye who press enter here.

Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge. -- Charles Darwin

If you can't demonstrate it, then you shouldn't believe it.

Offline Blanko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2014, 05:55:38 PM »
It doesn't look as delicious as it sounds.

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2014, 06:33:52 PM »
How do you even fit that into your mouth?
I don't even care to find out what you're doing wrong, but I'm sure you're doing something wrong.