Saddam Hussein

Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #520 on: July 12, 2014, 04:16:24 AM »
On a more positive note, the UI in this game is quite good, both in terms of it being an MMO and an Elder Scrolls title.  There's no minimap or annoying white text floating above other players' heads cluttering up your line of sight, just a compass system that's almost identical to the one in Skyrim, with a little caption directly underneath the compass that tells you the name of whatever person or place you're looking at.  That adds a lot to immersion.  As for your map, equipment, quest log, skills, etc., that's all handled with separate screens, every one of which makes use of the ample space it has to clearly convey information, goes for simplicity over pretty visuals, and uses some categorization to save you from spending most of your time scrolling through enormous lists.  And to top it off, the map is actually a map, not a weird 3D GPS thing like in Skyrim.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:43:10 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline xasop

• Administrator
  • Professional computer somebody
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 12, 2014, 04:49:56 AM »
According to this, I might be able to join you guys soon.
when you try to mock anyone while also running the flat earth society. Lol

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 12, 2014, 04:59:44 AM »
Oh, this thing costs money. I don't even know if it will work, so I'm reluctant to spend anything until I do.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #523 on: July 12, 2014, 05:18:31 AM »
Alas, there is no we, only me.

Offline xasop

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 12, 2014, 05:21:29 AM »
Alas, there is no we, only me.

Oh, I saw beardo saying "I'm playing it too", but I just realised that people were talking about other games in a TESO thread for some reason.

Given the abundance of reviews on WineHQ which say it works extremely well on Linux, I'm tempted to take the risk and buy it. What do you think, sadaam?

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #525 on: July 12, 2014, 05:56:17 AM »
They won't have a customer in me until they drop the monthly subscription.
i.e. never.

(okay, if the base price ever gets cheaper somewhere, I might consider trying it out for a month. One month).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 05:58:46 AM by beardo »
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #526 on: July 14, 2014, 12:00:26 AM »
Now, on to the hard cold facts. Skyrim has three tiers of settlements: major cities, minor cities, and towns. Oblivion has two: cities and towns. Morthal, Winterhold, and Dawnstar are all minor cities. If you're going to compare settlements, it only makes sense to compare Skyrim's major cities (Solitude, Windhelm, Markarth... you know, the "real" cities) to Oblivion's cities. In that case, I don't know anybody who prefers Oblivion's city design. The cities in Oblivion are basically all just blobs of buildings on a flat plain. In Skyrim, cities are integrated with the environment in more interesting ways. Markarth is carved into a mountainside. Solitude is built on an enormous rock arch by the sea. Riften is a blob of buildings on a flat plain. O wait. Basically, improved technology allowed BGS to realize something closer to what was portrayed in their concept drawings. The concepts for Oblivion cities were great too (Here's what Leyawiin could have looked like), but time constraints and unfamiliarity with the hardware they were developing for would prove to be 2serious.

Was that a joke?  Half of Riften is built on that intricate dock structure.  Regardless, your overall point is sound and these are wise words.  And let's not forget Windhelm, where the harsh weather combined with the tight design and narrow roads gives off that wonderfully tense, claustrophobic vibe.  The only major city in the game that really has a generic design is Whiterun, and that's somewhat justified in that it's kind of the main hub of the game, as well as most likely your first major city.

I'm in Black Marsh!  It's full of disgruntled former slaves and crocodiles and Ayleid ruins and so much more.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 06:34:11 AM by Saddam Hussein »

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 14, 2014, 12:26:38 AM »
I really just meant to concede that Riften is kind of boring compared to the other two I listed, but yeah, it's still much better than anything in Oboringvion.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #528 on: July 16, 2014, 07:32:12 PM »
<Saddam> beardo: Windhelm
<Saddam> I am there
<beardo> No you're not.
<Saddam> I am too
<beardo> I say, that is not Windhelm.
<Saddam> It is
<Saddam> It is labeled on my map as Windhelm
<beardo> It is what Zenimax calls Windhelm, but Windhelm it is not.
<Saddam> The locals refer to it as Windhelm
<Saddam> It occupies the same place on the map as Windhelm
<beardo> It doesn't look like Windhelm, ergo, it's not Windhelm.
<Saddam> In all seriousness, yeah, the reshuffling of the city is pretty bad
<Saddam> I don't mind them expanding it in terms of size, but the layout is all wrong
<Saddam> At least Riften still followed the basic layout it had in Skyrim
<beardo> Then there are people who likes to point out "But this is what the city is supposed to look like! They just couldn't do it in Skyrim's engine!"
<Saddam> Who said that?
<beardo> I don't remember where I read it
<Saddam> And I'm pretty sure that Skyrim's engine was capable of a lot more than this game's
<beardo> It wasn't in those exact words either
<Saddam> At least in terms of location design
<beardo> Well, mayb it was something like that consoles couldn't handle the size or something
<beardo> because that's probably true
<Saddam> But TESO will also be coming out on consoles
<beardo> Yes, but TESO looks worse than Skyrim
<beardo> And it's also a completely different engine
<beardo> It's made to allow pic places with many many character and NPC's. Skyrim's engine isn't.
<beardo> big*
<beardo> A modern computer can probably handle it. But not a xbox360 or ps3
<Saddam> I'm seeing a lot of empty space here
<Saddam> And this game is hardly demanding on hardware
<Saddam> You could run it on any shitty laptop
<beardo> They've made the graphics look worse so that they can make consoles handle the large areas with many characters on screen.

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 16, 2014, 08:32:00 PM »
<beardo> They've made the graphics look worse so that they can make consoles handle the large areas with many characters on screen.
Which caused less players to play it.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Ghost of V

« Reply #530 on: July 16, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »

I would think that making your game less graphically intensive so that people with low-powered PCs can play it would cause more people to play?

Offline Lord Dave

• Grumpy old man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 16, 2014, 08:44:22 PM »

I would think that making your game less graphically intensive so that people with low-powered PCs can play it would cause more people to play?
If you play games and have a low powered PC, you aren't likely going to play MMOs.  The only exception is if the game is completely awesome damn good (or popular) like WoW or Half-Life 2.  This is neither.
If you are going to DebOOonK an expert then you have to at least provide a source with credentials of equal or greater relevance. Even then, it merely shows that some experts disagree with each other.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #532 on: July 16, 2014, 09:19:30 PM »
I doubt if the graphics were a deciding factor in anyone's decision to buy this game.  Personally, I think they're fine, although they could have stood to make the character design a little more distinctive.  Almost everyone you meet is overly pretty and glossy in that generic Hollywood way.

Offline beardo

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 16, 2014, 10:34:23 PM »
Fucking smoothskins. Absolutely disgusting. I demand scars, wrinkles and dirt!
The Mastery.

Saddam Hussein

« Reply #534 on: July 16, 2014, 10:58:03 PM »
Quite right.  Characters should look like this:

They should not look like Justin Timberlake here:

I tried my best to make my Nord look badass, but only had limited success.

Ghost of V

« Reply #535 on: July 16, 2014, 11:11:19 PM »

This game needs a gender slider like Dark Souls.

Offline Particle Person

• Planar Moderator
  • born 2 b b&
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 16, 2014, 11:23:37 PM »
IRC snip

Hey retards, Windhelm's design in Skyrim is not canon. You may as well complain that Skyrim didn't depict Windhelm the same way Arena did. In the lore, major cities have populations larger than 50-100.
Your mom is when your mom and you arent your mom.

« Reply #537 on: July 17, 2014, 12:02:03 AM »

Ghost of V

« Reply #538 on: July 17, 2014, 12:11:20 AM »
^ is that supposed to look like an undead from WoW?

Meet uguukawaii.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:17:08 AM by Vauxhall »

Offline Snupes

• Planar Moderator
  • Counting wolves in your paranoiac intervals
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 17, 2014, 01:16:54 AM »
IRC snip

Hey retards, Windhelm's design in Skyrim is not canon. You may as well complain that Skyrim didn't depict Windhelm the same way Arena did. In the lore, major cities have populations larger than 50-100.

Alex is wise. According to most of the games, about 1,000 people live in all of Tamriel.
There are cigarettes in joints. You don't smoke it by itself.